“Greatest Smoked Meat This Side of Montreal”
Review of Myhre's Deli

Myhre's Deli
Ranked #396 of 3,662 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 12
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Canadian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Beltline
Description: Myhre's Deli has given diners the full meat shop experience since it began slicing and serving in 2002. A long-time patron of Montreal's famous smoked meat eateries, proprietor Brad Myhre hoped to create a place where Calgarians could enjoy an authentic deli lunch - without the five-hour flight.
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

I've endured the lineups at Schwartz's Deli in Montreal and hung with the homies at Switzer's on Spadina Avenue in Toronto -- in other words, dined at some of Canada's deli shrines. Calgary can't compete, not since My Marvin's closed (twice!). But it CAN deliver ... at Myhre's Deli on 14th St. SW.

I work in the neighbourhood, which is crowded with lunchtime alternatives, so Myhre's is my Go To deli whenever Japan, Vietnam, Mexico and Lebanon all just seem too far away. The wood-lined interior with its comfy booths is cozy and inviting, and in the summer you can take your lunchbox across the street to the park.

The staff are friendly and engaging and instantly recognize repeat customers. The menu offers comforting sandwich alternatives like grilled cheese and roasted turkey and, of course, bagel and lox, plus a fridge filled with old time sodas like Black Cherry, Root Beer, and Cream Soda.

But I go for the Montreal smoked meat. Specifically, the Reuben, stacked an inch and a half high with meat, sauerkraut, and Gouda cheese, slathered with the house mustard on grilled rye bread and garnished with a dill pickle. I've tried, but I just can't explore the menu beyond this lunchtime favourite. It gets me every time.

Calgary is a long way from Montreal or Toronto, and never more so than at lunchtime. But Myhre's can take you home in the blink of an eye, be it ever so sweet.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

This is small place with a surprising array of dishes besides their signature Montreal Smoked Meat sandwiches which can't be beat. They offer a large selection of mustards to compliment the meat and serve them with a large dill pickle. A nice vinaigrette based coleslaw or fries can be ordered to accompany your sandwich. Beware, the portions are large!

Reviewed 1 May 2017

I was born and raised in the Montreal area, moved to Alberta 3 years ago. As soon as I saw this place, I wanted to challenge it; sure enough, as soon as you walk in, there's a sign that says, "We Specialise (sic) in Skeptical Montrealers".
So...
Smoked meat = excellent
House blend mustard = delicious!
Pickle = nice & crunchy, as it should be
Coleslaw = very good
Rye bread = meh. Not quite Montreal-style, but still a good, fresh bread.
Verdict: I WILL be back for more when I get that smoked-meat craving!

Reviewed 31 January 2017

We went here for the Montreal smoked meat and enjoyed the whole experience. Nice simple relaxed environment. Excellent friendly service. Good value. Great smoked meat. We'll go back next time we're in town.

Reviewed 21 January 2017

Occasionally i make the 3 block walk form the office to Myhre's Deli and I am never disappointed, in fact its a good thing I have 3 block walk back to the office because my eyes are always bigger then my stomach. Their smoked meat sandwiches are most fantastic and complimented beautifully by their house-made mustard. If you are feeling extra hungry add a side of poutine because it is just as good as the smoked meat sandwich. The staff are always friendly, never over-bearing but willing to chat if thats what you're looking for. Great place for lunch.