“Great Birthday Meal”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Northeast Calgary
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Was treated by family to a decadent Birthday meal at this restaurant. Decor was wonderful and service was fast and exceptional. The servers were all very professional and all dressed very nice. I had quite a few of the servers stop by to offer me a Happy Birthday which was a very pleasant surprise.

The atmosphere was fun and good music was played. But I did find it a little loud because, at times, with the music and the multiple conversations going on around us, it was difficult to carry on a conversation at a normal speaking level.

I can't recall the name of the fruity celebratory drink I had but it had a very nice presentation in a martini glass and tasted very good. My friend had a Virgin Ceaser which looked quite tasty - she said it was very good.

We both enjoyed the 4 mushroom sirloin. The steak, mushrooms and mashed potatoes were excellent - the steak was cooked to perfection. Unfortunately the asparagus, on my plate at least, may have either been over-grilled or maybe it was not so fresh to begin with because most of it on my plate appeared unappetizingly wrinkly and when I tried it, was tough/rubbery at the same time. Other than that, the meal was perfect.

For dessert, we each had the Single Caramel Chocolate Mousse - very light and tasty; the perfect size treat after such a filling meal. The presentation was perfect - with the Happy Birthday written on my plate with spice.

They do have a gluten free menu. Reservations are suggested - it was quite busy when we were there.

Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for the Barlow Trail Location, we enjoy hearing all of our guest feedback and experiences and I am happy to hear that yours was worthy of five stars.

I do apologize about the asparagus as that is not our standard.

I wish you a happy belated birthday and hope we will have you back again soon.

Cactus Club Café Barlow Trail

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Back again after 2 year absence and, once again, not disappointed. Steaks for all 4 of us were very good as were the prawns I had along with mine. Service was really good particularly considering the restaurant was very busy. The only downside was it is quite noisy making across table conversation difficult. Hope to return again next year.

Hello Lloyd,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback and for joining us again after all this time! I am happy to hear that your expectations were meet after so long and we are looking forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

After 10 days in the Alberta/ Montana area we were looking for a nice restaurant near our airport hotel- this was recommended by the Hilton Garden inn front desk. It was a great place to eat. Our server- Saloni, was simply fantastic. She stated she loved the restaurant's food and loved to make suggestions. What a great attitude! I had a 9 oz NY peppercorn steak, my significant other had the vegetable modern. We also had the squash soup as an appetizer- everything was outstanding. For dessert we wrapped it up with the lava cake that we shared. We were bit tired from a long day of traveling- but this was ideal for us. Our meals came out in a very reasonable amount of time- not bad for a busy Sunday night before a holiday.
The atmosphere is the 'place to be scene', the bar is large, TV's all over, but the unique use of glass partitions between the booths and a glass wall separating the bar keeps an upbeat place from overwhelming your conversation.
We enjoyed our meal and thank Saloni for making it special. We would love to come back!

Hello,

thank you so much for your wonderful review, we love hearing all of our guest experiences but ones like this are the best! I will pass along all your kind words to Saloni as I know she would love to hear!

We hope when you are back in the area you will join us again!

Reviewed 10 September 2017

Best Happy Hour deals around. Great tasting food, but a very busy place. Service was quick. Lots of TVs.

Hello,

Thank you for writing a wonderful review, we hope that you will be back for another happy hour with us again soon!

Reviewed 7 September 2017

There are many places around the NE (particularly around the airport area) to eat. But Cactus Club has always been my go-to. I love their menu, and their not-so-out-of-range prices. Their food has always come fresh, and unique. I highly recommend the Beef Carpacio as an appetizer and the Hunter Chicken.

Hello Debbie,

I am so happy to hear that your experience was worthy of five star and we are your go-to place when dinning out. I would agree that the Carpaccio is my favorite as well!