“Simple and delicious”

Neighbourhood: Downtown
Calgary
“Simple and delicious”
Reviewed 8 August 2011

I would never have thought to try Persian food if someone else hadn't taken me there first. It's now one of my favorite comfort meals. We always order the platter for 2. It's 2 orders of buttery rice, sprinkled with saffron, 2 ground beef kabobs, 1 strip loin and 1 chicken and some veggies. I like squishing the tomatoes into my rice. I find it to be good value at $32 and we always have leftovers. For a little variety, we order a shirazi salad to go with it. It's basically tomatoes, cucumbers, onions in a lemon vinaigrette with some herbs. The salad is really light and just feels like a fresh addition to the main course. I've also tried the dips as part of the appetizer platter. My favorite is the eggplant (badenjan), but likely bc it's more unique than a hommos or tzatziki. If you want something hot and hearty, the gheimeh is stew-like and a great starter.

Décor in the restaurant is very simple, so don't expect too much in the way of atmosphere. Staff is friendly, but casual. For laid back restaurants like this, I'm not too demanding on service. I've never seen it really busy in there, but there are definitely some loyal clients. Part of the restaurant is a small grocery store, with some interesting things to peruse after your meal. I actually do take-out from this place more than anything. It's a favorite meal to take home in time to watch a little Hockey night in Canada. I just call 15 mins before I want to pick up and they pack it up in a nice large tray. I like my strip loin medium rare, so I always order it rare and it just keeps cooking in the dish, so it's perfect by the time I get home.

At the front of the restaurant, there's a fridge full of desserts from Orchid Pastries, I've never tired it myself, but have heard great things. I think I'll be ordering one of their Pistachio Almond cakes for my next indulgence.

I did celebrate a friend's birthday party here, but I wouldn't classify it as a "special occasion" restaurant. We picked bc it's easier to get a reservation for a large group on short notice, it's approx $15/person before drinks and we were confident that it wouldn't take 2 hours to serve our meal.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank CowtownKobe
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow