“The Best Part Was The Price”

Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area
Ranked #73 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lethbridge
“The Best Part Was The Price”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

My family and I stayed here on Christmas. We parked in the back behind the hotel because the front parking lot was full. The back door was locked and was not accesable with the hotel key card so we had to walk around to the front in the dark carrying our heavy luggage. Once inside the older man standing behind the counter did not say "Hi" and simply just stared at us. When my dad mentioned the back door wasn't working he gave my dad a snide comment. We reserved a two room bedroom but they had given that room away. They upgraded us to a suite - however the suite only had one bed, so my brother ended up sleeping on the pull out. The rooms were very hot, to the point were we had to shut off all heat and open a window...and it's the end of December. The best was not the best but the traffic was aweful and noisy. If you stay here make sure you get a room that faces away from Mcleod trail. When we checked out we came downstairs to the girl at the front desk popping her zit in a mirror - gross. Much music was on the TV in the lobby and was very loud and displayed half naked people dancing around. Overall - the experience was not good at all and the staff is unprofessional. I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms Facing Mcleod Trail Noisy
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kelsey5
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Medicine Hat, Alberta,
Reviewed 1 October 2011

My husband & I stayed here one night. We were in Calgary for a wedding but were travelling to Lethbridge early the following morning. We chose this hotel for that reason. I have found over the years that the reputation of Super 8's has really gone downhill, but the reviews on this one sounded hopeful. Our room here was very clean, the bed very comfortable & we couldn't hear a lot of noise in the hallways as you quite often can, when spending a Saturday night in a hotel. There was a pool, but we didn't have a chance to use it, so I can't comment on that. To me, Super 8's were the first to introduce the Continental breakfast, which back then was doughnuts!! Breakfast, here, was included in the price of the room & only because I had checked other reviews of this hotel, did I expect more than doughnuts. Although I must admit to not being too hopeful. Much to our surprise, there was cereal, hard boiled eggs, fruit, muffins, bagels, bread for toasting, hot (omelette style) eggs & sausages, juice, coffee, tea etc. Wonderful!!! Especially since Calgary is a nightmare to get breakfast anywhere in the city on a Sunday morning, without standing in some line for 45mins or more. I told the receptionist behind the counter when I checked out, that I would give them a glowing report on TripAdvisor. So here it is. I would definitely stay there again, if visiting Calgary. And another point to note, I got a much better rate, calling the hotel directly, than I found on Expedia.ca or 5 other websites that I checked. So that was great, also. Thanks Super 8!!

Room Tip: Check in is posted in the hotel as 2 pm. Helpful if you need to change clothes to go to a Wedding!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Grandmo
ITSED, Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
I would like to express the appreciation of management and staff for your very kind review. We strive have our guest's stay as comfortable as possible and it is good to read positive comments when we have accomplished that objective.
We look forward to having you visit our property again the very near future.
Stoney Creek
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We showed up with a large group which was arriving at various times, we had one person book all the rooms on behalf of our group with followup emails. Upon arrival all was ready for us to check in and staff managed to have a facility avaialble for our private get together on the friday night. Place was clean, spacious and we are looking forward to booking again for July 2012

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Papa_BBOH
ITSED, Manager at Super 8 Calgary Shawnessy Area, responded to this review, 26 August 2011
On behalf of management and staff, we sincerely appreciate your comments and look forward to having your group stay with us again.
Reviewed 8 August 2011

(dont know of another super 8 in calgary so im guessing this is the One we Stayed In...)The lady at the front desk was nice. My first reaction when we got our room was that it smelled funny... Not a very pleasant smell but nothing to gag over either. My husband says he didn't smell anything and it was clean so we stayed. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank SamiScottie
Lethbridge
Reviewed 6 August 2011

for the first time, we splurged and booked the family suite (more than double the cost of a regular room) As my husband and I were travelling with our 2 teen boys, we thought they would appreciate having their own beds (the family suite offers 2 pull out sofa's and a king bed) The pull-outs were not great for sleeping on - very lumpy and extremely squeeky to the point of waking the kids up if they moved....we would have been better off in a standard room - even with having to share a queen bed, my boys would have slept better. The plumbing ran very slow in our room - the sink would fill up after just a quick handwash....the tub would fill up when having a shower, and the toilet......well, a plunger was necessary......
we stayed for 2 night and housekeeping never attended our room. We had to go to the front desk to ask for additional soap, coffee etc......
Now, after all of that, the front desk staff was very polite and gave us some coupons for neighbouring restaurants. The pool and waterslide were a blast. The complimentary breakfast was nice......
However, I would NOT, NOT, NOT recommend the family suite....it cost us a couple hundred extra dollars that we could have spent better elsewhere....

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family