“Comfortable, Quiet, very helpful front desk staff !”
Review of Econo Lodge South

Econo Lodge South
Ranked #86 of 110 Hotels in Calgary
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Very helpful and consistently pleasant front desk staff made this stay the best it could be. Beds are comfortable, room was good temperature. It could use a very good cleaning of the carpets, and some paint in areas ... however, of other places I have tried in the South Calgary area, this one would be my choice to stay again. We did not go to the breakfast at all, so cannot provide comment on that, other than I know it was available. We stayed 3 nights. A tip: parking spots are tightly marked, so street parking in the evening if leaving in the morning can be a good option to consider.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Miraclesmom

Reviewed 15 March 2012

My family (my partner, my sister, my 2 y/o son) and I had come to Calgary at the end of August 2011 for some back to school shopping and our 'big' summer trip. We were travelling on tight budget and accommodations can eat away at that budget very quickly if not careful, so after extensive research and reading MANY reviews of hotels within our price range we decided on Econo Lodge South.
Our room was a standard hotel room, everything was clean and where it should be. The bathroom was small but had a tub. The beds were comfortable and the only thing that we struggled with was the temperature control, warm then too cool. But it was not a big deal at all, I didn't even mention anything to the staff.
My main concern was safety having 2 children with us, after coming back from going to get some dinner the first night we came back to the hotel and went to our room which was on the first floor past the front desk and to my surprise there was a door blocking the entire hallway. This made me feel secure that this door was guarded by the front desk staff all night, it may be trivial but it made me feel more comfortable.
The next day we were going to the zoo and I was on the zoo website and found that because the weather was less than perfect they offered and "rainy day" discount coupon. Of course I had no printer, I asked the front desk staff if they would mind printing off a coupon for us and she was more than happy to help us out. I found the staff very hospitable and friendly. The breakfast was nice pretty standard continental and the room it was served in was nice and big with a lot of tables and a big projector TV as well as a little balcony area.
All in all was a good stay and I would come back. I enjoy travelling although most of the time cannot afford more than an budget hotel and I was satisfied with our stay and my family thoroughly enjoyed our 'big' trip.

Room Tip: If you have safety concerns the first floor is pretty secure.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank tarynfawn
Reviewed 14 February 2012

we checked in on the 11 of feb and out on the 12 we had trouble with the heater on the wall the afternoon shift was very nice about it he brought extra blankets and a small heater which helped the next day i checked with front desk was told maintaneice would fix it but after talking to her 4 times she want home she didnot offer another room just put me off till she went home i was able to get holed of the caretaker who brought a bigger heater and said no maintence on sunday. on monday the same girl was on i asked what her problem was with me she said the night should have taken care of me and my problems so she took off ten dollars off my bill i will tell every one never stay at this motel down the street is better places to stay

Room Tip: go some place better
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank soltej11
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The first day we were there, I could smell cigarette smoke in the room. I don't know if this hotel is old enough to be of the day when EVERY room was a smoking room and maybe it was in the carpet? But it was gone the second day so I have a feeling the previous tenant had a smoke or two. TINY cramped bathroom, continental breakfast...meh but I've been places that gave Hostess Ding Dongs and called it continental breakfast.

Nice staff, helpful and, contrary to other comments, the area wasn't that bad. It was all commerce but Chinook mall was a few blocks away and the LRT runs from there so you can get to the zoo or Heritage Park easily.

Good sized hot tub and 'decent' pool (we had it all to ourselves), all in all, worth the money. Don't expect fancy, expect comfort, plain and affordable.

Room Tip: Many people said the front street is noisy. (I live on a noisy street so didn't notice).
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank cijay
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Not too bad for economy. Rooms are touch-and-go.. nice bathrooms, shoddy furniture. Terrible C. Breakfast. 5/10

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business