“Lovely hotel and service”

Kensington Riverside Inn
Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
New Castle, Delaware
“Lovely hotel and service”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I was very pleased. The staff was very friendly, accommodating, and anxious to make sure I was satisfied with my stay. My room was spacious, immaculate, and amazingly quiet considering the hotel is on a main road. The bathtub was extra-deep and some bath salts were provided, so I had a great relaxing soak after working all day. Coffee tea in a thermos is delivered every morning, a really thoughtful touch. A cooked-to-order gourmet breakfast was included in my room rate; I had eggs benedict with salmon and spinach, accompanied by herbed home fries--one of the best breakfasts I ever ate. My only quibbles are that the free wifi dropped about once an hour, requiring me to log back in, and the curtains are heavy but not black-out. The location is great, with many nice shops, restaurants, and bars within a few blocks.

Room Tip: Don't worry if you get a room facing Memorial Drive--I could barely hear any traffic.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Lin0515
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Calgary
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Contrary to other reviewers, for our stay, this "up-scale, 4 star boutique hotel" did not deliver on it's grand promises. A lengthy review on the issues we had follows but here are the short points.

- getting a parking space at the Inn can be an issue. Save yourself some heartache and arrive by cab. However, if you have to rely on parking at the Inn, call ahead and make sure it'll be available for you when you arrive. Or park in the unloading zone in front of the hotel on Memorial Drive and check-in at the front desk first.

- The Riverside Inn is located on a major downtown Calgary traffic route. If you have a room at the front of the building you will hear traffic noise. It starts early (6 am on Saturdays) and stops late. It is very convenient to the Kensington area which does have interesting shops. However, the Eau Claire area, just across the Bow River, is equally nice and has the advantage of being close to the Prince's Island Park. The beautiful Riverside Cafe is an excellent Calgary restaurant with a lovely ambiance that's located right in the park.

- If you have a room on the ground floor you will hear noise from the upstairs rooms (water running, footsteps, etc). You'll also hear hallway noise - the early rising, happy, whistling guest, the tipsy evening guests, etc

- not all the rooms have been upgraded to what is displayed on the website. In the website photos, the decor in the upgraded rooms seems warm and inviting, stylish and modern. However, the lighting in those photos flatter the rooms. In reality, the walls and ceilings are a dark color (brown, grey?) that make a deluxe Queen room seem small and gloomy.

- the bathroom in the Queen room is nicely renovated but there's no place on the vanity for your make-up bag. The soaker tub is lovely but you have to run 100% hot water and even then the water cools off before the tub is full. The shower curtain is too small for the tub and that makes it drafty while you're trying to enjoy the soaker tub.

- the beds are comfortable but the pillows were too hard for us and we came away with stiff necks. The bed linens were very nice.

- the coffee tray is delivered very early in the morning at 6 or 6:30 am. Even though it's in a thermos that the front desk claims will keep it hot, your coffee will be luke-warm if you sleep in. Ask to have it delivered close to when you wake up. However, it would be nice if the Inn asked what time you'd like it delivered.

- book your room on the internet. You'll get a better rate and if you put your special requests in writing they may get passed along.

- For supper, the food at The Chef's Table restaurant is expensive but excellent. The service was very good. I didn't find the ambiance very appealing. The dining room has been decorated in the same dark colors as the rooms. It's very monochrome and it could stand with some splashes of color, fresh flowers and artwork that was more complementary to the decor. The food, prepared by Chef Boje, at the Chef's Table may be the best/only reason to stay at the Riverside Inn. Also, make reservations for dinner in the dining room. It seemed some people were seated in the lobby for dinner on Friday night. In my opinion, people coming and going to their rooms would detract from the fine dining experience and give it a food court feel instead.

- The website photos flatter the decor in the lobby, too. To me it suffers from the same problems as the dining room. It's monochromatic and could stand some color, fresh flowers and better artwork.

While we appreciate the Riverside Inn's gestures to make amends for our disappointing stay, we would rather have had the service they promise. It would have made our wedding anniversary a wonderful day. Unfortunately when you make promises such as the following you will be held to a high standard.

"We are personal. Intuitive service is our passion—to anticipate your needs, spend the time it takes to make your stay even more memorable, and take care of every detail.

We are luxury. The details will delight and enhance your experience. Our art collection, upscale dining, and modern, executive luxury décor offers pleasant surprises."

For our stay, this "up-scale, 4 star boutique hotel" did not deliver on it's grand promises.

Our first problem was with the parking. We arrived at 6:00 pm on a Friday night, drove into the underground parking as our confirmation email directed us to and found the garage was full.
Parking in the Kensington area, and in downtown Calgary generally, is difficult to find so having no parking available at the Inn was extremely irritating. We parked in a public parkade across the street but the parking ticket expired at 6:00 am Saturday morning. Since we hadn't been given any instruction on alternate parking in the event the Inn had none available, we thought this was the best we could do and we thought we'd be getting up at 6:00 am to pay for parking.
Not a good way to start a wedding anniversary get-away. We schlepped our luggage down the parkade ramp and across the street to the Inn. We were very annoyed when we got to the front desk. When we told reception that there had been no parking available in their garage, the front desk said that "kitchen staff" were occupying some spaces. It's inexcusable that there was no parking space available for a guest because Riverside Inn staff were using spaces (I don't care if it was the Chef). To the credit of the Riverside Inn, they had the Chef move his car, sent a staff member to move our car and refunded us the $3.00 parking fee we had paid. However, you only have one chance to make a first impression.

Our second disappointment was with our dinner reservations. I made my room reservations on the phone and was very clear that we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. I made supper reservations at the same time and asked for an especially nice table. We had to wait for 30 minutes for our table which I understand can happen. However, I was expecting that our waiter might have said "Happy Anniversary!" However, there was nothing of the sort. I don't really think that reservation desk passed the information that this was an anniversary celebration along to the restaurant staff. Hardly, "personal, intuitive service..taking the time to make your stay memorable". Also, having a personalized card in our room when we arrived saying "Happy Anniversary! Thank you for choosing the Riverside Inn for your celebration" would have been an inexpensive gesture that would have had a tremendously positive impact. They already deliver a card of that type in the evening offering to arrange the next day's transportation, etc. Why not take the extra step and do the same to recognize an event that's clearly important to your guest? We mentioned to our waiter that it was our anniversary and that we were very disappointed with the hotel. He took the initiative and talked to the Food and Beverage Manager who arranged a $75 credit on our hotel bill. He also offered us a complementary bottle of champagne which we declined. Again, that was to the credit of the Riverside Inn but we prefer proactive service to reactive apologies.

- Some other small disappointments:
The slippers and bathrobes were nice but it would have been even better if there had been one pair of large slippers instead of two pairs of medium slippers. Yes, I know we could have asked for a large pair but how about the "anticipate your needs" promise?

The coffee thermos doesn't keep coffee hot for an extended period of time. Why not ask your guests what time they'd like their morning coffee delivered instead of delivering it at a standard 6 am?

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank One_Canadian
WernaCalgary, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Let me start by apologizing for what sounds like a weekend that was to be very special that has instead been a disappointing anniversary celebration. We failed to meet the promises we take very seriously, hence we promote them on our website, and although we have a program in place to recognize all special occasions, I am not sure how this opportunity was missed in your case. Service is the backbone of our operation, especially considering that we are a small property competing with many high-end, full-service properties. I regret to hear that in your case, our intuitive service was not intuitive at all, and we missed some important cues that could have made for a more memorable experience. I assure you that I will use this case as a training opportunity and share your concerns with our staff and management in order to improve and grow. I thank you for your candid comments and welcome you to contact me directly if you choose to return to Calgary and would like to give us another chance.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Staying at the Kensington wad absolutely fantastic!! It was so comfortable and cozy, with an intimate atmosphere that I've never experienced at any other hotel. They bring coffee or tea to your room every morning, and that coupled with a turn down service in the evening makes for a very personal stay in my opinion. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, and don't even get me started on the Chef's Table restaurant!! Let me just say that there is most assuredly a reason why its won so many awards :) Overall, gorgeous hotel, wonderful service. I would happily stay here any time I find myself in beautiful Calgary.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank LaurieMurdock
WernaCalgary, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Good morning and thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Kensington Riverside Inn and Chef's Table. Taking the time to comment and let other travelers know about your experience is invaluable to us, and I have shared your comments with all our staff as they take great pride in the product and service they provide. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

Wetaskiwin, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed a night here after having a bad night elsewhere. This place was great on every level.. location, service, the room, decor, the restaurant... it's so quaint and so cute! It's a very unique hotel experience as it only has 19 rooms. We loved it and we will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ashleigh B
Good morning,

I would hereby like to personally thank you for your wonderful review of our Inn. Our staff and management take great pride and ownership in our facility and amenities, and receiving such comments truly inspires us to continue doing what we are passionate about. We hope to welcome you back as a regular guest!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We were looking for a charming romantic getaway and the Riverside Inn was the perfect choice. The location was perfect in the trendy Kensington area with wonderful restaurants and unique shops. We spent a romantic day arm in arm exploring these stores. We had an incredible lunch at Brasserie and chose a table by the window where we could people watch as they strolled down the street. The food was amazing and we shared an appetizer of “Foie Gras that was to die for, it was so good! When we checked into our luxury suite at The Riverside Inn we were really impressed with how large it was and the elegance of the décor. The balcony overlooking the bow river was lovely. The only drawback to this room is you can hear the traffic driving by. The heated towel rack in the bathroom was a nice touch. The bed and the abundance of pillows were really comfortable. We dined at the Riverside Inn’s best kept secret, “The Chef’s Table”. The dining room was small with an open kitchen where you could see the Chef’s at work. It was perfect. It was exactly what we wanted something small, romantic, and intimate and the service was impeccable. The waiter is not at your table too long and you are never kept waiting. We had the Chef’s tasting menu and wine pairing and the food and wines were incredible. We understand how Chefs Table has a Four Diamond AAA rating. Incredible!! They also have themed events like a night on the Titanic that is a black tie event. Coffee and newspaper were outside our door by 7:00 am. We were given vouchers for a complimentary breakfast at Chefs table and I had smoked salmon eggs benedict and my husband had a prosciutto omelette. I have always been a big five star hotel girl and now after our experience with The Riverside Inn we will definitely stay at this Inn again and look for other quaint and charming Inn’s like this one.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 685Chris
Good morning,

It is with great pride that we accept your feedback of our Inn, as we realize that no amount of marketing, no matter how sophisticated, replaces the value of a word-of-mouth recommendation. I will be sure to share your review with all of our staff who provide amazing service to our guests on a daily basis. We thank you for your patronage and hope to see you soon!