““Romantic Kensington Getaway””

Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Calgary, Canada
““Romantic Kensington Getaway””
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We were looking for a charming romantic getaway and the Riverside Inn was the perfect choice. The location was perfect in the trendy Kensington area with wonderful restaurants and unique shops. We spent a romantic day arm in arm exploring these stores. We had an incredible lunch at Brasserie and chose a table by the window where we could people watch as they strolled down the street. The food was amazing and we shared an appetizer of “Foie Gras that was to die for, it was so good! When we checked into our luxury suite at The Riverside Inn we were really impressed with how large it was and the elegance of the décor. The balcony overlooking the bow river was lovely. The only drawback to this room is you can hear the traffic driving by. The heated towel rack in the bathroom was a nice touch. The bed and the abundance of pillows were really comfortable. We dined at the Riverside Inn’s best kept secret, “The Chef’s Table”. The dining room was small with an open kitchen where you could see the Chef’s at work. It was perfect. It was exactly what we wanted something small, romantic, and intimate and the service was impeccable. The waiter is not at your table too long and you are never kept waiting. We had the Chef’s tasting menu and wine pairing and the food and wines were incredible. We understand how Chefs Table has a Four Diamond AAA rating. Incredible!! They also have themed events like a night on the Titanic that is a black tie event. Coffee and newspaper were outside our door by 7:00 am. We were given vouchers for a complimentary breakfast at Chefs table and I had smoked salmon eggs benedict and my husband had a prosciutto omelette. I have always been a big five star hotel girl and now after our experience with The Riverside Inn we will definitely stay at this Inn again and look for other quaint and charming Inn’s like this one.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 685Chris
WernaCalgary, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Good morning,

It is with great pride that we accept your feedback of our Inn, as we realize that no amount of marketing, no matter how sophisticated, replaces the value of a word-of-mouth recommendation. I will be sure to share your review with all of our staff who provide amazing service to our guests on a daily basis. We thank you for your patronage and hope to see you soon!

Yours in Hospitality,

Werna Maurer
Hotel Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My wife and I were in need of a simple getaway for one night, and the Kensington Riverside Inn is exactly what we needed. With its wonderful location (we took in a movie, did some great shopping, walked along the river, and enjoying great meals), we were treated to some of the best that Calgary has to offer.

With the breakfast voucher for the next morning (which, at the Chef's Table, is worth the booking alone), the $199 we paid was more than worth it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeremy B
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I have stayed here several times - most recently for a night last week. This is the best boutique property in Alberta, and the best I've encountered in Canada. It has become my regular stop in Calgary, despite the fact that I'm a Fairmont Platinum member.

The property is small - 20 or so rooms, and has more the feeling of a large country house than a hotel. Rooms area quite lovely - I think I've stayed in most of them over the years - even the cheapest is comfortable and more than adequate. Aveda bath toiletries are a nice touch, as are the fireplaces in each room. Beds very comfortable.

The best part however, is the staff. An amazing "can do" attitude. This last visit I was riding the elevator up from the parkade to check in, and a young waiter held the elevator to wait for me. Asked if I was checking in, and gave me directions. Told me, unsolicited, that I had made the right decision on where to stay in Calgary! Reception staff are lovely. Came back from dinner and two colleagues and I decided we'd like a drink. Restaurant had been closed for a private function, and it was late and they were essentially closed. Asked if we could get a drink - response was "of course" and they went away and worked it out.

The restaurant, by the way, is truly outstanding - and I'm a real foodie. Last visit i was on my own, so decided to have room service - ordered a 3 course meal and a bottle of wine. Staff brought it up course-by-course, and poured wine on each visit. This meant my dinner was hot, and perfectly prepared and presented. Caused staff a lot of extra work - but that's just what they do. Good wine list also, and well priced. Breakfast comes from the same restaurant, is included in the price (saves $35 compared with most hotels), and is also exceptional. A nice touch - they leave coffee or tea on your doorstep first thing in the morning - nice way to wake up.

Someone complained in a review that the parking spaces were too narrow. While its true that they're narrow - really? Who chooses accommodation based on parking spaces. The cost is less than a third of what other hotels in Calgary charge.

Couldn't recommend more highly.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CanTravelYVR
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My husband and I wanted to have a quick weekend getaway last week. We wanted to stay somewhere a little more special than a hotel like the Westin or Fairmont. Although the rates are higher than some hotels, the attention that the Kensington Riverside Inn gives you, with the little extras make this inn an amazing deal and an absolutely wonderful place to stay. From the coffee, juice, or tea that is waiting at your door in the morning (with a newspaper), to the fireplace in the room, the bottle of water, the personalized welcome and turn down service, it is truly an exceptional place, in a great location.

The only thing my husband and I would do differently next time is... fast! The Chef's Table is AMAZING. Breakfast was never a disappointment, and the quality of the food at both breakfast and dinner was phenomenal. I'm looking forward to staying again and enjoying the Chef's dinner and wine pairings.

Thank you Kensington Riverside Inn for an amazing stay in a wonderful room.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly W
WernaCalgary, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Good morning and thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so glad we were able to create a unique and memorable stay. No amount of media or technology will ever replace the importance of word-of-mouth, and I am so glad you have become advocates. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Yours in Hospitality,

Werna Maurer
Hotel Manager
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I would defineltly recommend this little bed/breakfast/boutique hotel to anyone looking for soemthing different or a new experience from the regular hotels out there.
Our flight to Calgary got in early and we decided to see if we could check in at 9:00 AM. To our delight the hotel manager Weryna was working the front desk and not only allowed us to check in early but also gave a super good upgrade for free and showed us the room before checking us in! We also were given a free late check-out of 1:00 PM the following day! The Lobby, Front area and Dining room are beautiful and on trend with the style of today. The rooms are clean and I LOVE the heated towel bar and spa products in the bathroom! There is complementary tea or Coffee in the morning sitting at your door with a free paper as well as a turn down service at night. They made the bed up for us, put chocolate on the pillows and put a card down of what the weather was expected to be the next day as well as gave us complementary Breakfast coupons for the following morning! There was even rose petals on the bed for us when we retruned from dinner! The food is extrodinary. A great fusion of taste and presentation and worth every penny. Portions are correct as well.
There were a few downsides but nothing that took away from our stay.
1. They are currently fiishing up some renovation so during the later part of the afternoon you could hear some construction , this didn't take aways from any sleep though.
2. The room we had was a little bit dated but really still MUCH better than any chain hotel that we have stayed at in Alberta.
3. Our Suite was directly above the Kitchen and we could smell the steaks around 5-9PM

These are really totally minor compared to the amazing staff, attention to detail, and care that goes into your stay. We will definelty be staying here again!

Room Tip: Our up graded room was directly above the kitchen and we could smell the food in the evening. If th...