“Weekend Getaway”

Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Edmonton, Canada
“Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

My wife and I wanted to have a quiet romantic weekend trip so we decided to head to Calgary. When looking online at hotels the Kensington Riverside Inn showed up at the top of the search. I had never been to a small boutique hotel prior to this but the reviews were all in line with what we were looking for. We arrived to heated underground parking and a wonderful room with a fireplace and a view of the area. The room featured a heated towel rack as well as a stocked wine fridge in the room. The staff was friendly and incredibly helpful. In the morning fresh coffee and orange juice were delivered to our door. After an evening on the town it was nice to unwind in the lounge by the woodburning fireplace with a good whiskey and a wide variety of wine. What a great weekend getaway.

Room Tip: book the king bed, its worth it.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aduffy1234
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Korean first
Bucks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a business trip recently.

Overall my impressions of this hotel were positive, really nice location, lovely buildings, very freindly staff.

The room was starting to look a little dated, especially the bathroom, but from the note in my bedroom and the colour chart on the reception, it looked like they were just starting a redecoration program. It needs it, not that anything is bad, but parts of the room looked dated.

I think after this refurb it will be a far nicer expereince.

The only thing that really bugged me was that my room was directly over the kitchen, and the smells of the cooking really permiated my room. This was a little annoying and tarnised my stay.

Different room with different decor would have improved the rating.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mgrt09
WernaCalgary, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Good morning and thank you for your review. Here at the Inn we are always striving to improve our services and amenities to ensure our guests enjoy a comfortable and memorable experience. We are in fact undergoing a complete guest room renovation that has started with the renovation of 2 showrooms scheduled to be completed the first week of January, followed by the remainder of our guest rooms to be completed by the end of the first quarter of 2012. This renovation will greatly improve the look and feel of our guest rooms and bring them in-line with our public space, while maintaining comfort levels and specialized amenities our guests have come to expect. I truly hope you are able to come back in the New Year to experience our renovation for yourself!

Taber, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night earlier in the month. All I can say is that it was absolutely perfect! The room was amazing and the inclusion of a fireplace really added to the romantic weekend getaway I had planned. All of the staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to stop and chat. I had made arrangements ahead of time to have some things waiting in the room for us and everything went off without a hitch. Everything was topped off by an amazing breakfast in the hotel restaurant. "Amazing", I seem to be using that word a lot in this review. It really is the word that best describes our stay. We will definitely be staying here again. I would like to conclude this review by saying thank you to the Kensington Riverside Inn. They helped me to create the romantic getaway I was hoping for. And my girlfriend, she is now my fiance. Thank you Kensignton.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Silent-Sir
, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Thank you so much for your glowing review! I will be sure to pass your kind words on to all of our staff and management here at the Inn, who all take great pride in ensuring the pursuit of a perfect stay for all of our guests. Congratulations on your engagement, and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future!

Nelson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Well, the service was fantastic overall.
The problem is that at 4 am the f=guest in the room above mine must have decided to do a fitness workout. I mean it was so loud that after a half hour I rang the front desk to complain. It continued for another half hour. Traveling on business with a early appointment this was very unpleasant stay.
No compensation was offered and obviously nothing was done about it at the time. There were cob webs in the pot light which sort of leads one to believe the attention to detail from the cleaning staff has slid down hill.

Room Tip: Only book a second floor room here.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank HeliHo
Good morning, and thank you for your honest feedback. Here at the Kensington Riverside Inn we are constantly striving to improve our services and amenities in order to ensure you, our valued guests, become advocates of the Inn. I welcome you to contact me directly the next time your travels bring you back to Calgary, in the hopes that I can ensure we provide you with a most memorable stay, leaving you with a positive impression and a reason to write a positive review.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

This is a small boutique hotel with all the amenities.. Easy access to the city just over the river and there is a great little community just behind the hotel. The rooms are nicely appointed and spacious. There is convenient self parking underneath the hotel. The restaurant is excellent although maybe a little pricey, however a full menu breakfast was free. We were there two nights and when returning to Calgary this is the spot for us. The staff could not have been nicer. Often it seemed like we had the place to ourselves as it is small and maybe undiscovered.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends