Kensington Riverside Inn
  • Restaurant
US$ 173
US$ 153
US$ 135
Holiday Inn Express Calgary(Calgary)(Great Value!)
US$ 128
US$ 137
US$ 133
US$ 180
US$ 154
US$ 85
US$ 83
Agoda.com
All reviewschef's tablememorial driveboutique hoteloxbow restaurantbow riversmall hoteleach morningwedding nightgreat boutiqueroad noisecomplimentary coffeeunderground parkingcomfortable beddowntown calgarymodern decorroom rateclose to downtown
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a business trip recently.

Overall my impressions of this hotel were positive, really nice location, lovely buildings, very freindly staff.

The room was starting to look a little dated, especially the bathroom, but from the note in my bedroom and the colour chart on the reception, it looked like they were just starting a redecoration program. It needs it, not that anything is bad, but parts of the room looked dated.

I think after this refurb it will be a far nicer expereince.

The only thing that really bugged me was that my room was directly over the kitchen, and the smells of the cooking really permiated my room. This was a little annoying and tarnised my stay.

Different room with different decor would have improved the rating.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mgrt09
WernaCalgary, General Manager at Kensington Riverside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2011

Good morning and thank you for your review. Here at the Inn we are always striving to improve our services and amenities to ensure our guests enjoy a comfortable and memorable experience. We are in fact undergoing a complete guest room renovation that has started with the renovation of 2 showrooms scheduled to be completed the first week of January, followed by the remainder of our guest rooms to be completed by the end of the first quarter of 2012. This renovation will greatly improve the look and feel of our guest rooms and bring them in-line with our public space, while maintaining comfort levels and specialized amenities our guests have come to expect. I truly hope you are able to come back in the New Year to experience our renovation for yourself!

Reviewed 17 October 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night earlier in the month. All I can say is that it was absolutely perfect! The room was amazing and the inclusion of a fireplace really added to the romantic weekend getaway I had planned. All of the staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to stop and chat. I had made arrangements ahead of time to have some things waiting in the room for us and everything went off without a hitch. Everything was topped off by an amazing breakfast in the hotel restaurant. "Amazing", I seem to be using that word a lot in this review. It really is the word that best describes our stay. We will definitely be staying here again. I would like to conclude this review by saying thank you to the Kensington Riverside Inn. They helped me to create the romantic getaway I was hoping for. And my girlfriend, she is now my fiance. Thank you Kensignton.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Silent-Sir
Management response:Responded 19 October 2011

Thank you so much for your glowing review! I will be sure to pass your kind words on to all of our staff and management here at the Inn, who all take great pride in ensuring the pursuit of a perfect stay for all of our guests. Congratulations on your engagement, and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future!

Reviewed 14 October 2011

Well, the service was fantastic overall.
The problem is that at 4 am the f=guest in the room above mine must have decided to do a fitness workout. I mean it was so loud that after a half hour I rang the front desk to complain. It continued for another half hour. Traveling on business with a early appointment this was very unpleasant stay.
No compensation was offered and obviously nothing was done about it at the time. There were cob webs in the pot light which sort of leads one to believe the attention to detail from the cleaning staff has slid down hill.

Room Tip: Only book a second floor room here.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank HeliHo
Management response:Responded 19 October 2011

Good morning, and thank you for your honest feedback. Here at the Kensington Riverside Inn we are constantly striving to improve our services and amenities in order to ensure you, our valued guests, become advocates of the Inn. I welcome you to contact me directly the next time your travels bring you back to Calgary, in the hopes that I can ensure we provide you with a most memorable stay, leaving you with a positive impression and a reason to write a positive review.

Reviewed 5 October 2011

This is a small boutique hotel with all the amenities.. Easy access to the city just over the river and there is a great little community just behind the hotel. The rooms are nicely appointed and spacious. There is convenient self parking underneath the hotel. The restaurant is excellent although maybe a little pricey, however a full menu breakfast was free. We were there two nights and when returning to Calgary this is the spot for us. The staff could not have been nicer. Often it seemed like we had the place to ourselves as it is small and maybe undiscovered.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank kentito
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I have a soft spot for the Kensington Riverside Inn since I used to live in the neighbourhood and love the area. The Kensington Riverside or KRI is a very pleasant boutique style hotel in a fantastic neighbourhood with lots to offer the business traveller or those in town for a weekend.

For the business traveller, with good shoes you can walk to the downtown core, or take a cab for under 20 dollars to most of downtown. Running paths are steps outside the KRI door and there is a host of activity within walking distance to satisfy your evening social needs. The downside for the business traveller is the distinct lack of electrical outlets and adequate working space in a hotel that was designed to be a bit of a romantic get away. The installation of a reachable power bar behind each bed would go a long way for those of us who want or need to work in the evenings while watching the telly. The small desk beside an immobile flat screen just doesn't do the same job. And, to be honest, the free internet is frustrating to use, requires multiple log ins (nearly constantly) and has a very very weak signal. Needs to be upgraded.

For the weekend away person, the ambiance of the hotel is good, but folks it is time for an update of those carpets. The luxury of the modern atmosphere in the main lobby is immediately spoiled by the sad state of the upstairs carpeting. From hallways to guest rooms, the condition of the carpeting has deteriorated to a sadly detracting vision. Even I found it hard to overlook. Additionally, the shower head in my room ( a different room and the same problem from my last stay), generated one of those frustrating circles of water with nothing in the middle that leaves one annoyed rather than refreshed. It is difficult to have a satisfying shower when trying to arrange oneself to stand under the running part of the water.

Beds are super comfortable, I had no issue with the pillows. The fireplace is a wonderful addition for winter stays. Free bottled water in the room had good appeal.

The restaurant at the KRI is heavenly. Breakfast is included in your room rate and you would be foolish not to take advantage. Really good, made to order and done in reasonable time. Excellent coffee. Similarly, evening service boasts wonderful food but be warned about exorbitant prices. Don't say I didn't warn you. Wine on the patio while working on a presentation was particularly enjoyable with friendly, knowledgeable and efficient servers. Dare I say there are other excellent and cheaper places to go in the immediate neighbourhood if you don't have work to do....

A note about the parking. I have noted a lot of complaints about the parking. KRI has a small underground parking lot at a rate of less than 20 dollars a day. Yes, it is small but your vehicle will fit in and you can access your trunk and doors without getting smeared. It is underground and heated and if you stay in Calgary in winter, you will really appreciate it. The rate is substantially lower than all other parking in the city, street or otherwise. If all you have to complain about is a small parking structure, you shouldn't be writing reviews.

Staff service and attitude I found to be exemplary, including lending me paperclips for a presentation I was preparing (no they didn't want them back!)...

Overall, I will stay here again but will be very glad when there is a firm date on carpet replacement. KRI, we want you to look as beautiful as you feel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not over the kitchen.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business