“Best Hotel in Calgary”

Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Toronto
“Best Hotel in Calgary”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is now my sixth or seventh time staying in this hotel, and each time I find more things to like.

It is an all-suite hotel, so the rooms are generally nicer than normal. With the upgrade to the larger suite, it was even more so. Like all Starwood hotels, the bed was great, and overall the room was in very good condition and well kept up. Housekeeping was exceptionally good.

I was not blown away by the fitness club and pool. It is not bad, just nothing special, and when I was there it was crowded most of the time.

On the other hand, the Executive Lounge is excellent. Not only is the space nice (although better in the summer, when you can sit outside on the roof garden), but the breakfast is very good, and the service is friendly and prompt. Even when it got busy, the atmosphere was exactly what you would want, and the service didn`t suffer. (I say this despite the fact that I`ve stayed many times at the Westin Grande Sukhumvit in Bangkok, which has the best Executive Club anywhere. This hotel is right up there.)

I admit a bias to Westins over Sheratons, but I have to say this Sheraton is top of the class. Nothing in Calgary - Starwood or otherwise - competes with the Sheraton Eau Claire.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with Executive Club access.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank jshepherd
gmthegm, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am delighted to learn that we’re the “Best Hotel in Calgary”. I am also pleased to learn that you were able to enjoy our Club Floor Lounge and amenities. You are very much correct, the Club Lounge roof top patio is second to none in Calgary during the warmer weather. Our fitness centre has recently completed an extensive renovation to the new Sheraton Fitness by Core Performance standard. The Health Club has now doubled in size and includes new state of the art cardio and weight equipment. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards

Gord Minor
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Korean first
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have stayed here for just one night, but I wish I could have stayed there way more!
Rooms are huge and the thing I definitely loved the most was the Jacuzzi. It was nice to relax in it after a 14 hours flight.
Personnel is outstanding. Always ready to help and very polite.
Would most definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Federico S
gmthegm, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Corner King Suite – the Jacuzzi is excellent for relaxing, especially after a long flight. I am also very happy that you enjoyed the award winning service provided by our outstanding team. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Calgary.

Best Regards,

Paris, France
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We had a short one night stay at this hotel en route to Banff. The bed was big and comfy, the room was quiet, and we slept well. The room was huge with a kitchen and sitting area. The location was great, being directly across the park/river front which has miles of running paths. We felt that the price was normal for a downtown hotel. However, it would be a nice perk to have free internet in the room. Valet is expensive, but for the location it was worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olistina
gmthegm, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am delighted to learn that your short stay was a "comfy" one. I’m glad that you were able to take full advantage of your suite configuration and the surrounding amenities. The Eau Claire area is truly a gem within the city of Calgary. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Canada.

Warm Regards,

Houston
Reviewed 14 March 2012

As you first check in, you can't help but notice a certificate from Trip Advisor proudly displayed proclaiming the high ratings provided to date by other guests. I have stayed here a number of times over the last five years and I must admit that besides location, there are a number of positive qualities to this hotel. With that said, there are obvious issues and I'm quite disappointed other guests seem to ignore them, along with the ridiculously high prices, and fixate on the location and the relatively few positives when providing reviews. While the rooms are large and spacious, the last two I have stayed in look identical to those I first stayed in years ago and are starting to show obvious wear and tear. The rooms are in dire need of updating and some obvious maintenance. The fitness facilities (probably being overly generous - room is probably more appropriate) have always left something to be desired. On my last visit, the fitness room was under renovation which is quite overdue and great news at the same time. In lieu, there was a pathetic substitute of several pieces of cardiovascular equipment in two rooms with beds removed with the headboards still fixed to the wall. After taking a look at the "temporary" fitness facilities I asked at the front desk if passes to the adjacent YMCA were available. I was directed to the concierge desk where I purchased a pass. Later that day I visited the YMCA only to find out that I did not receive a discount for purchasing the pass from the hotel, but had actually paid full price. Given the fact the "fitness facilities" were under renovation and the temporary facilities were so pathetic, I was quite upset to realize the hotel had charged me full price in order to get a decent work-out during my stay given the price I was paying for my room. I only wish I had taken pictures of the "temporary" fitness facilities to show others just how pathetic they were. While I will most likely stay here again, I ask other guests to be more objective when giving future reviews. The ownership has obviously neglected to reinvest in the property over the recent past while they have continued to raise prices through the roof. This hotel falls well short of what a guest should expect given the hype and the price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LoneCub42
gmthegm, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Thank you for your thorough review of your recent stay, we truly appreciate your honest and candid critique. We apologize for the inconveniences that you have encountered during your stay. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to experience our newly transformed Sheraton Fitness by Core Performance gym.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Not a "glam" hotel but very nice for business or a famiy trip. Rooms are spacious and quiet, with flat screen TVs in both living/dining area and bedroom and an entertaining selection of free TV channels. Large desk doubles as a dining table with chairs on both sides. A small microwave is provided but there's no room inside the mini-bar/ fridge, where you'll the milk for the provided Tazo tea and Starbucks filter coffee (paper cups).

No problems connecting to the internet, daily charge $14.95.

Mattress and cotton bed linens/duvet are so comfy you won't want to get out of bed. Plentiful wood hangers in a bedroom closet sized for two. Tub/toilet area should have a fan and lighting in makeup/sink area could be brighter. Thick cotton bathrobes, blow dryer and Sheraton's "Shine" shampoo/conditioner/soap etc. provided.

A clipping found under the couch was the only reason the room didn't get an "excellent" rating for cleanliness.

Drinks are reasonable at the bar. We didn't try the Irish pub on the main floor. The banquet room hors d'oeuvres & dinner was delicious and the service staff friendly and courteous.

There's an Irish pub on the main floor, low-cost food chains (Subway, Tim Hortons) and cafes just up the street, family-friendly restaurants (Old Spaghetti Factory and Joey's) across the road and finer dining nearby.

Door staff made sure we didn't have to wait for a taxi to the airport. Otherwise, we didn't need to rent a car (although gas is currently 20 cents less a litre than in Ontario) or take a cab. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance of downtown offices and shopping (no provincial sales tax here). In the other direction are paths for running and cycling along the river.

Didn't have time to use the hotel's hot tub or fitness facilities but we enjoyed our weekend stay here in a prosperous, pleasant, friendly and clean city.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank gilfingled
gmthegm, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete such a wonderfully extensive and detailed review of your recent stay at the Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire. We are very pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your recent stay, the amenities and services, along with the surrounding area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,