“Not bad, but you can do better”

Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #84 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Montreal, Canada
“Not bad, but you can do better”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I spent 1 night at this hotel upon arriving in Calgary, before I drove off to explore the Rockies.

The hotel is not bad, but I can't say much more than that. If I compare to many other airport hotels I've stayed at, in many other cities, I would say its below average.

They have made an effort to modernize the hotel but it still feels old. The room was fairly new, but the bathroom really felt out of date. The lobby and common areas are ok, but overall the property had a "motel" feel to it.

The worst aspect of my stay was that I was put in a room on the GROUND floor. My "view" was of a series of parked cars facing my window, and I had ZERO privacy.

The most positive aspect about this hotel was the PRICE, I got a great deal off of priceline, as any hotel within close proximity to the airport was what I was looking for (flight arrived very late).

Even if your main criteria is price, you can probably do better. I have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Calgary airport and its MUCH better.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JandK786
MgrRadissonCalgary, General Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share. We are happy to see that we were able to provide value for your visit and that our location was convenient for you. We are continuously working on improving our facility as you described, and happy that you noticed some changes.

We look forward to welcoming your in the future.

Marcel Berube
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed at the Radisson Airport Hotel the night before flying out and the night returning from my overseas holiday and have to say the service was excellent. The checkout time is 12noon but had it extended to 1pm to catch my outgoing flight. The rooms are dated but are clean. The shuttle drivers are great and I love they ask you when you want to leave instead of you having to work around a shuttle schedule. One suggestion is to have an option if you want a room with the adjustable beds, not a big fan of them.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank tequilawitch
MgrRadissonCalgary, General Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to share. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and that our team made you feel welcomed and valued. Please know that we do have both the Non-Sleep Number beds, as well as the Sleep Number Beds available to be confirmed at time of reservation.

It is always our pleasure to be there for you, and look forward to your next visit.

Banff, Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I was referred to this hotel by a couple of friends. Had a stopover in Calgary and a few hours between flights, so I preferred not to spend the night at the airport. I booked the Radisson so I could at least get some sleep. Check-in was efficient at 10:15 PM, which was expected, as I was checked-in by the manager on duty. Since I had to be at the airport at 5 am, I requested a wake-up call at 4 am and the shuttle to the airpor at 4:30 am this was immediately input in their wake-up call system and on their wake-up call sheet and confirmed by the Duty Manager out loud.
When I got to the room I changed into my swimming trunks, as I wanted to give the pool and hot tub. I called the front desk to ask where the pool was and I had to repeat myself 4 times until I was understood, as the person on the phone seemed to have very basic English skills. I tried to access the pool and my key card did not work... Lost valuable time here!
Went to the front desk to inquire and the person at the desk coded a key for himself and told me he would come. They were not busy, but the phone rang and he prioritized answering it. Considering the pool was ope. Until 11 PM and it was already 10:30 PM, a little more urgency would have been appreciated. I gave the night audit guy "the look," and only then did he put the call on hold and come help me. He apologized in a dry tone and asked me for my key. He swiped my card in a quick strong, by some even perceived as agressive motion. My card worked with him when he tried it. I had tried 3 times and it didn't! This made me look stupid, and the guy gave me a look as if wanting me to know he had wasted important time at the desk to come help me.
The morning of departure I received a call at 4:30 am. The desk agent asked me if I was going to take the shuttle. I said yes, at 4:30 am. Considering it was already 4:30 am, and they had missed my wake-up call, I had to ask him to tell the shuttle to wait.
I rushed to pack my things, and did not get to shower, nor shave as I had planned,prior to a long intercontinental flight.
When I got to the front desk to check out 10 minutes later and made the agent aware that I wasn't impressed they had missed my wake-up call, the guest agent said: "Well, we had your wake-up call for 5:30 am." I did not want to argue at that point as I just wanted to get to YYC, but I wondered how the heck they managed to screw this up! It had been verbally confirmed to me and I had seen the guy put it in the system and log it the night before... Seemed like a no brainer to me, but apparently not for them!
The gentleman in security uniform who happened to also be our shuttle driver did not make me feel welcome either. He approached the desk agent and asked him: "Is this the guy I am waiting for?" He really made an effort to make me feel bad, as if "I" was late!
The shuttle was full and I got angry looks from other guests who had to wait because of me. The driver then sped away, and I, and I believe none of us passengers felt safe, because he was driving fast.
I confirmed with the driver I was flying American and he dropped me off at Air Canada. Considering I have just recently had knee surgery, I did not appreciate the distance I had to walk to get to the appropriate check-in counter.
Room was clean, flat screen TV and amenities were appreciated. Check-in was fast and the manager was professional and friendly; however, considering the overall experience and the price I paid, I would have been better off spending the night at the airport, instead of this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Gazpacho16
MgrRadissonCalgary, General Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share. I am disappointed to hear that we did not leave you with a feeling of appreciation. In general, we receive wonderful feedback in regards to our caring and efficient team members, and apologize for error in regards to your wake-up call. I am happy to hear that this did not delay you to your flight. We have a wonderful facility and provide great value for travelers. I am certain that given the opportunity, we can appeal to your needs, as we have to your friends.
Please feel free to contact me personally, and I would be happy to discuss with you.

AUS
Reviewed 27 January 2012

We stayed for one night . Room and staff met our expectations . We arrived late at night and departed early in the morning. So can not tell much of the surroundings.
The room was clean and spacious, the bed very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeterXAus
Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Dated and in desperate need of upgrades. The rooms are very dark (ugly brown drapes) and the air conditionning unit will make you feel like you are sleeping next to a Mac truck.

I was recently at the hotel and this was the sight in the lobby (see pictures). I asked what was going on and was told by reception that a certain group of people needed to check-out by noon and they had nowhere to put their suitcases. Those pictures speaks for themselves !

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank yorom
MgrRadissonCalgary, General Manager at Clarion by Choice Hotel and Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write. I am sorry to hear that you did not feel our hotel decor was to your liking. We work hard to stand behind our 100% Guest Satisfaction Guarantee, ensuring that our guests receive great value in a safe, comfortable and clean environment.

In regards to the luggage storage in the lobby, we do have a monthly conference which prefers to have their delegates place these with easy access to main entrance, otherwise we absolutely offer discrete storage. We have have accepted this practice on two particular days per month, due to this request and the significant volume.

Once again, thank you for sharing, and hope that we have an opportunity to provide our great service to you in the future, and would be happy to work with you on a future visit. Feel free to contact me at any time.