“Great hotel”

Ranked #25 of 109 Hotels in Calgary
Toronto
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I had such a pleasant stay at the Westin. It's conveniently located within walking distance of restaurants, coffee shops, and a mall. But the best part is the hotel itself. Rooms are spectacularly clean, and staff is incredible. Oh, and I could go on and on about the comfortable bed.

I don't usually write reviews for a chain hotel, but I was very impressed. Thanks, Westin.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MandeeToronto
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Houston
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This was a great hotel located in Calgary. It's super nice and easy to check in/check out. Great location as well. Very comfortable and nice desk staff. Will definitely stay here again when back in Calgary.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kmstennis
alberta
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed here for the Stampede parade and show, very convenient. We used aero plan points so only had a standard room with 2queen beds. Beautiful bed linen and thick towels but room on small size and nowhere to sit. All nicely refurbished but no bath tub. Shower door only half size and however careful we were the water came out, a big design fault! We had brought some snacks with us as we were going to the Parade but the "fridge"had a label saying this is not a fridge for storing cool items!!!! I tried to use wifi, just for a few minutes and it would have cost 12.95$ per day as we were only in a standard room. We had supper in the Keg, attached, excellent but went to nearby Tim Hortons for breakfast and saved a fortune. Front desk staff were very efficient and pleasant and we found parking very easy and reasonable for Downtown. Probably most visitors are on company business accounts or package tours so wouldn't pay full price to stay there but on this occasion for us it worked. Certainly wouldn't pay the full price. There are other options in the downtown

Room Tip: 5th floor north facing was quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ottoAlberta
Houston
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Although in a good location and rooms were nice, I will not stay at this hotel again. The hidden fees in the room rate were unreasonable (I think they take advantage of oil industry travelers), but there was a fire alarm at 2:11am during my stay. It took me 22 minutes to descend 7 flights - because there was NO hotel personnel directing sleepy guests outside to the designated safety area. All hotel personnel were standing in the lobby. The stairwells were clogged with people, and we often stood for 30 seconds at a time without moving. Had there been a true, blazing fire, we would have all perished. This hotel needs to review their safety and evacuation procedures!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Cheri14
TWC_Westin_GM, General Manager at The Westin Calgary, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Didier Luneau, General Manager at The Westin Calgary response,

Dear Cheri14,

Thank you for your feedback. First of all please accept my apologies for this false fire alarm and for the stress and inconvenience it caused you.

I want to assure you that the security of our Guest is our priority. Our safety and evacuation procedures are appropriate and reviewed frequently.

The fire department crew was at the hotel shortly after the alarm to provide support to our night team and monitor the situation.

Again, please accept my apologies for this unpleasant event.

Feel free to call me should you like to speak to me directly.

Be well,

Didier Luneau, General Manager
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in April for the ComicExpo. We got an awesome rate on Hotwire ($92/night) - we definetely lucked out. The staff seemed efficient, if a little robotic.

The room was clean and spacious - we had a king sized bed, which is always a treat. The bathroom was very small and only had a sliding door, which was a little weird. My husband was not too happy about the lack of bathtub - there was only a glassed-in shower stall, which didn't shut all the way (just the way it's designed). It's a great central location - probably perfect for business travellers. There are lots of options for food and drink that are cheaper than what the hotel can offer. For instance, we walked two blocks to Cora's and had breakfast for $12 each instead of paying $20 each at the hotel. It was okay for us because we didn't spend that much time in the hotel - we were too busy. I'd stay here again, but I wouldn't pay regular price, that's for sure!

One issue was parking - very expensive, even on weekends. We ended up paying for valet parking because the public lot is off-site and confusing to get to. I figured I'd just pony up the extra $10 and have someone else deal with parking.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple