“Change your name or be more forthcoming when you represent a nation”
Review of Donegal

Donegal
Ranked #2,564 of 3,834 Restaurants in Calgary
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 15
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

As a Donegal man I would not recommend this place to any Irishman or woman, were proud enough to call themselves an Irish pub but would will not show the all Ireland as NFL Sunday is to important.

Reviewed 23 September 2017

My wife and I have a pub night about once every 3 months. This time we decided to try Donegals again. Though I did enjoy their new choices of beer, the food was a disappointment. I ordered the bison burger. Not only was it tiny, but it said it would have blue cheese in it and I could not taste anything other than barbecue sauce. My wife order the brisket and it was so overloaded in salt that she could not eat it. When I tried it ... well without exaggeration, my tongue is still numb from the salt.

CalgarysBestPubs_CBP, Public Relations Manager at Donegal, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We're glad you like our new choices of beer. But we're sorry to hear the food was below par. I will pass all of your comments along to our head chef and management team.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

For a few years this was our go-to pub for at least once a week dinner and drinks, sometimes more often. No more. The prices have been jacked up considerably and the service has taken a nose dive. Last few times we had a new server each time and they didn't know the menu (it changes periodically) and acted like we were an inconvenience. Drinks were completely empty before they even came to check on us. One of the times we ordered the burger special and it took over 45 minutes to get to the table. For a burger. That is the weekly special. As you can imagine it was cold when it finally arrived and the food was not as ordered. Terrible but you are not going to send something back if it takes 45 minutes.

My partner doesn't drink alcohol and we are now told that even if I order multiple drinks, everyone who wants to order the special has to order a drink. Fine, we can get around that by my partner ordering what I'm drinking and I'll happily drink it but why do this to your regular customers who typically spend $75+ before tip? The server said she would lose her job if she didn't enforce the policy. Sure, that's believable. Even if by some outlandish policy that is the case, where is the dedication to customer service for your good, regular customers?

In addition they are cutting costs and have switched from tasty onion or pretzel buns to plain white buns. The calamari is now the size of Cheerios and the dip portions have decreased. It doesn't align with the price increases. Don't bother wasting your time and money at Donegal. There are plenty of other places in the same area offering better food and service. Too bad, we used to love it.

1  Thank DuncanH99
CalgarysBestPubs_CBP, Public Relations Manager at Donegal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It must have been quite frustrating waiting as long as you did for food. We will be reviewing this incident with the management team. We believe there was a misunderstanding regarding the drink policy, please email me at marketing@calgarysbestpubs.com so we may try to make up for what happened.

Reviewed 4 June 2017

Things have changed at our local pub.

In Alberta, the minimum wage went up and a carbon levy kicked in. Restaurants are closing and best servers are either leaving Calgary or losing their hours (= tips). That means; every restaurant that has not closed must up their game.

Sadly for Donegal, our last experience sucked and now officially we won't be back.

So it was a nice night; OK patio on a busy rush hour 37th street. I am going on a (pretty much) super-long medical leave and can't drink alcohol anymore for life. My last beer was in their hands. Our server floundered around the beer menu with a mainstay/safe "Grasshopper" selection and I suggested I speak to the bartender instead. Nope. I had a lackluster beer for my last pub beer (to be fair, I don't drink a lot of beer, but I didn't get a sense from her with a one-off adventure with something new)..

Fast forward to food. I order my steak sandwich dry (without butter). The new manager brought it out with butter and for a moment, she considered just swiping the butter off (???). I explained I'm Jewish and can't have dairy at all on the plate.

Then the server appeared to be hesitant to come to our table (based on the faux pas, she fawned over the deuce near us that didn't have a problem and they arrived at Donegal when we did), so my partner's plate languished in front of him, adding to our discontent.

I finally did get my steak on a simple plate (sans the onion ring), though (sadly) the steak was not prepared as requested.

They were good enough to lift the charge from the bill, but (I), would have a) verified how the steak should be prepared with the guest, returned the steak to the kitchen, had the chef cut into the steak to verify order. Nope. Instead, they chose the lazy way, assumed everything and it came out super-dry and inedible.

To take it to a lower lever, my partner paid cash ($35.00 for $27.00 bill). She had the chutzpah to ask if we "NEED" change.

Nice last beer, eh? Maybe it was a sign that I am not missing anything in Calgary eating at a pub and leaving alcohol behind.

I'm sorry to see Donegal going in this direction.

1  Thank Notam
Reviewed 25 May 2017 via mobile

Walked in as a group of three,

Entire bar was "reserved" to empty tables. Upon asking the bartender if we could sit at one of the many vacant seats she replied we'd have to talk to the manager...

On a Wednesday at 8pm really?

Walked out without any attempt by the staff

Franchise has gone down hill for sure. Bad service, long waits, unfriendly staff.

1  Thank Elliot154913
Management response:Responded 29 May 2017

Sorry this happened to you. We will review your experience with the management team. We often help people to host fundraisers and other large scale events, therefore occasionally sections of the pub are blocked off.