Post Hotel & Spa
US$ 136
US$ 130
Hotels.com
Lake Louise Inn(Lake Louise)
US$ 108
Hotels.com
Deer Lodge(Lake Louise)
US$ 123
US$ 118
  • Restaurant
Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise(Lake Louise)
US$ 368
US$ 353
Fairmont.com
  • Pool
US$ 174
US$ 163
The Juniper Hotel(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$ 134
US$ 96
Bow View Lodge(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$ 87
  • Pool
US$ 148
US$ 104
Elk + Avenue Hotel(Banff)(Great Value!)
US$ 164
US$ 149
1,027 results
All reviewswine cellargourmet packageturn down servicepipestone riverwood burning fireplacetrain noisemain restaurantbath saltscanadian rockiesevery afternoonadirondack chairsbow riversteam roomfavorite hotellight sleeperworld classskating rink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The Post Hotel was a charming and very comfortable hotel that we stayed at while we were in Lake Louise. It is located by a river which was very full at the time and the more expensive rooms face that. We had room facing the noisier front which has a train track running very close to the property. However the Hotel is so comfortable and serviceable in terms of friendlyness and charm that it makes up for that small inconvenience. It has a Relais and Chateaux title which tells you that it is more than just a regular hotel and is quite a gastronomic delight. While we as a family only ate at the Outpost Pub we did have a lovely breakfast at the main restaurant of the hotel which was great. They also did an afternoon tea service which was very nice. The rooms were comfortable and the evening turndown service a real charm in this era of dwindling service. The pool and hot tub as well as the gym were great and I would highly recommend this hotel as a must if one wants to be away from the grandeur and the crowds of Chateau Lake Louise.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jaideep D
Reviewed 27 July 2012

This was by far our favourite hotel in Canada during our trip. As soon as we entered the lobby it felt very cosy and welcoming and the staff certainly were welcoming. Our superior room was cosy and beautifully decorated. There are 2 comfy chairs in the room - a rarity in all hotels we have ever stayed in all over the world! The bathroom was superb, lovely fluffy towels and bathrobes, spa bath and so clean you didn't need a mirror - you could see yourself in the wall tiles! We had a balcony and we were on the railway side with the trains going past during the night. I didn't mind at all but my husband wasn't so keen. The plus to being on that side was it was the sunny side. The river was really fast and so would be quite noisy too. There is free tea and coffee in reception between 2-5pm every day and free coffee on all floors 7 -11 in the morning.
We used both restaurants. The english style pub was very informal and quite small with a good choice and good value. We waited ages for our food and had to ask many times where was it - I think they never passed on our order to the kitchen, not very good service. The main restaurant in the hotel was very nice and very formal. We had a lovely meal but feel it was overpriced and a bit too pretentious.
The cottages next to the river were so cute, they looked like gingerbread houses! The hotel is in a good position near the few shops in Lake Louise and 4 kms to the lake. We loved Lake Louise and Moraine Lake was even better as the view from the top of the rocks is breathtaking - worth the climb. didn't use pool or spa but looked lovely.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank savvyttraveller
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The Post Hotel reminds you of those lovely old properties where magic happens. Beautiful settings, fine dining, cozy rooms. When we were dining tonight, we got the sense that we could be in a luxury New York hotel in the 1940's. Seriously, this is a nice property. There are downsides for the critics... it's got a railroad track just beyond the hotel (although we only noticed one train during the night... and frankly, I find the sound soothing) and some rooms face the parking lot (ours did and an awning blocked us from view or we had the choice of rolling it up and seeing the mountain view). Other rooms have a river view, and what a river it is! We checked out the spa and fitness center today since it was a rainy day... and liked them both. My wife had a hot rocks massage while I worked out with the equipment, treadmills and free weights. She came back singing high praises for the massage... and she's picky.

As for the dining room, it was superb. The wine list is overpriced (and it is going to be up here in an isolated setting) and has a remarkable range of wines. The food is extraordinarily done and matches the reputation of the place that we heard from our well traveled friends. I should add that when we crossed into the park, the gate guard asked us where we were going and how long we were staying. When we told him, he rolled his eyes and said, "You might want to park your car here and walk up there, so that you can start wearing off all of the luscious food you are going to eat." He was right.

Room Tip: One side has the trains (and mountain views); the other the river. We stayed on the "train" side and love our room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeeMTucson_Arizona
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed at the Post for two nights in the Temple Cabin located by the river. It was amazing to listen to the river anytime we were sitting outside or falling asleep with that relaxing noise… The cabin was well appointed with a king size bed, fine linen, nice tile shower, fireplace, wet bar, coffee maker, etc. I enjoyed my morning coffee sitting on the balcony just a couple meters away from the river. Coffee is also available on each floor of the main building in the morning, which is great for a refill before heading out.

At arrival, great service was available for luggage handling. The same was available when we left, with fresh bottles of water for the road.

We had dinner twice at the main restaurant. For foodies, I would recommend the tasting menu with wine pairing. We enjoyed every single meal so much that we went back the second night, à la carte, which was another great dinner. I however found unfortunate that the wine is not poured in the glasses at the table so that we can see the bottle of what the sommelier proposes. A pub also offers another eating option at the hotel. However, I did not have a chance to explore that alternative.

Overall, the service was impeccable. The food was amazing. The views are spectacular.

High quality in all details, the property really deserve its ‘relais & chateaux’ designation. If you want a high quality accommodation in Lake Louise without the volume of the Fairmont, the Post is your best option. Looking forward to going back either in winter or summer!

Room Tip: A cabin by the river is the way to go :)
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SimD2000
Reviewed 23 July 2012

For many years I have heard great things about the Post Hotel at Lake Louise and I finally had the opportunity to find out for myself. Last week I spent 2 nights there while hiking in the area with a small group. My expectations were too high and I was let down. To be sure it is a good hotel, just not as good as I expected. I did not use the spa nor have any expectations for it.

The Post Hotel first opened in 1942, known then as Lake Louise Ski Lodge. The name was changed to Lake Louise Lodge in 1951 and to Post Hotel in 1957.

In 1986 the property needed a major redevelopment. In July 1987 the newly expanded and upgraded Post Hotel opened. The new Hotel featured 93 guest rooms and suites and was linked to the original Post lodge where an expanded dining room had taken over much of the main level.

By 1992 the original lodge building was renovated. The project included the re-development of the second level, where 7 suites were completed as were two new public areas.

Today, the Post Hotel boasts 20 different lodging options on their web site, including hotel rooms, separate cabins and a 3,000 square foot house. Some rooms differ only in which side of the hotel they are on - the quiet side or the noisy side. Others are different only in that have a fireplace and some do not. Please see their web site for full descriptions of each option with both text and images.

I was in a 383 square foot Deluxe Room with king bed and no fireplace on the quiet side of the hotel, that being the one away from the parking lot. Specifically, I was in room 129 on the ground level. It was a very nice room and is listed as room option E on their web site.

In addition to the king bed with 2 nightstands and 2 wall-mounted lamps, the room contained a very nice sitting area with an upholstered sofa and chair, 2 end tables and 2 table lamps, and a coffee table. The bed was firm and very comfortable for me.

On the opposite wall from the bed and sitting area were a desk and chair, a low chest of drawers with a flat panel TV on top, and a low dresser.

The bathroom was very nice with a granite vanity, tile floors and tile tub/shower surround. The tub was a Jacuzzi-brand oversized air bubble tub. The water pressure was good and the hot water was unlimited, at least in my usage. Hanging on the inside of the bathroom door are 2 very nice bathrobes for guest use. The towels were plush, soft, plentiful and replaced often.

I will say again that this was a very nice room and I slept good here on both nights. So why didn't the Post Hotel meet my expectations? In a word, it was the service, which was very disappointing.

I found the staff to be stuffy and pretentious all over but especially in the dining room, perhaps because I didn't order wine. Service in the dining room was also incredibly slow with massive wait times between courses, not what I needed after long days of hard hiking.

At breakfast I had the self-serve buffet both mornings so all I needed was for someone to keep my coffee cup full, but it was a chore both mornings. At one point I actually got up and got my own, which didn't please the servers.

One afternoon I tried to get a beer in the lounge and had to track down a server as none was present even though several management types were standing nearby.

Coffee machines are not in the rooms, at least not mine, but they do provide an urn of fresh coffee in the mornings near each of the ice machines. One was located just across the hall from me. The coffee service is supposed to be available from 7 AM. At 7:10 AM one morning the large coffer urn was empty and was not replenished in time for me to enjoy it. While a cute way to provide morning coffee, I would have preferred to have my own in my room so I could count on it being there for me.

I am used to and expect friendly and efficient casual service. I did not experience it here, but acknowledge that some may be impressed with the stuffy pretentious atmosphere.

I was also unimpressed with the food, one of their claims to fame. The first night I had the halibut and it was overcooked and tough. The second night I had the black cod that folks were raving about, but could not taste the cod as the too-sweet sauce overpowered it.

As I said, I didn't order wine, but they do have a very extensive cellar, boasting an inventory of over 25,500 bottles and more than 2200 selections, but that isn't why I stayed at the Post. But it may be for some.

I still give the Post Hotel a Very Good (4 star) rating for the quality of the room, but it is not the best I have stayed in (see my other ratings). It probably would have received an Excellent (5 star) from me if the service and food had been better.

BTW, as an aside, the famed Lake Louise was not the bluest lake I saw on my hiking tour of Banff and Yoho National Parks. Moraine Lake was the bluest by a huge margin.

Room Tip: Make sure your room will be on the quiet side
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo