“The 'must do' experience in Lake Louise” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Divide Day Hikes

Great Divide Day Hikes
Ranked #3 of 5 Tours in Lake Louise
More attraction details
Owner description: Great Divide Nature Interpretation provides informative guided hiking and snowshoeing in the Lake Louise and Banff areas. Nadine Fletcher and Joel Hagen have over 20 years experience and are certified “Master” interpreters. In summer, full day and half day walks/hikes. In winter, half day snowshoeing trips.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Adelaide, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The 'must do' experience in Lake Louise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

I had really wanted to give snowshoeing a go for the first time during my travels through the Rockies. I found information about Great Divide Day Hikes on the net and then looked through the reviews here on Trip Advisor. I was instantly convinced this was an experience I shouldn't miss out on and I'm certainly thrilled I had the opportunity to participate. Nadine was our guide and she instantly brought energy, humor and personality right from the get go -she made everyone in the group feel welcome. Our adventure was snowshoeing out to Island Lake on an amazingly perfect sunny day. Nadine provided snowshoes and ski poles for everyone and some additional winter wear to set me up for the day. The best thing about the hike was really 'learning' about the wildlife that inhabit the area, instead of just looking at pretty scenery. Nadine had a quick eye for spotting lots of interesting animal trails and a phenomenal understanding of the unique winter landscape that was around us. When we reached our destination we stopped for an amazing view at Island Lake and had complimentary tea/hot chocolate and power bars - a great reward! This would definately have to be one my standout experiences while living in Canada, it was fantastic and I would certainly go on a hike again with Nadine or Joel to learn and see even more - their passion for this is inspiring. Definately, definately go on a hike with Great Divide Day Hikes while you are in Lake Louise. Greg : )

Visited February 2012
2 Thank Darryl26144
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great day out, even for 3 teenagers who normally hate hiking trips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

It must have been one of the toughest days of the year to do a hiking trip with the temperature never exceeding -30C by much - and this for a family from Sydney, Australia who has not seen snow for a number of years.

Joel had all the equipment thoguh and made sure throughout the walk that we were warm and comfortable. He kept the walk interesting and managed to keep the enthusiam in our three teenage boys (12 - 19 years).

I can highly recommend the walk and will certainly be back in Canada to do a walk with Joel in Summer.

1 Thank Simon M
Bingley, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An essential part of the Rocky Mountain experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

We would recommend booking a hike with The Great Divide at the beginning of your stay in the area, as the knowledge imparted to us during our guided hike really helped to open our eyes and appreciate the complexity of the environment and beauty around us for the rest of our trip. We are going back to the Rocky Mountains in September 2012, and the first thing we have done (before confirming our accommodation!!) is book another hike with The Great Divide!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank SaraDaniel
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Breath Taking Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

The trip was amazing! I went with my family and boyfriend and we all have different levels of activity, but it was fun for everyone! Our guide was awesome and very knowledgable about the area and therefore made the experience even better. I would recommend Joel and Nadine to anyone who wanted a true snowshoeing experience!

1 Thank Bree M
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Introduction to snowshoeing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Fun day and such a pleasant way to learn a bit about our mountain area.