“The Castle for nocturnal beings”

Fairmont Banff Springs
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Banff
GreenLeadersSilver level
calgary
“The Castle for nocturnal beings”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Even if you have insomnia a stay at the Banff springs hotel is worth every dollar.
Roaming the never ending hallways, grand halls, stairwells, and lounging areas at 3:30 - 4 am is a treat.
Although well lit, you rarely see another soul. However the vibes of millions of humans can be felt, whether they have passed through those halls that day or decades past.
This is my favorite thing to do when we stay.

Room Tip: Upper floors on the back of the old part of the hotel is best... windows may be small but view is fa...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank wife-of-
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for your review. You are most right - there is a special place for everyone, regardless of the season and time of day. The Fairmont Banff Springs is a one of a kind special place.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,522)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Alberta
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I'm sort of biased because I LOVE this hotel. I love the history behind the hotel, the structure of the hotel, the buffet, the spa, the outdoor pool etc...

The hotel is situated in a pristine piece of Canadian wilderness in the rockies. It truly is a magnificent and privileged setting for a hotel. You can walk to the centre of town a long a meandering little path that runs alongside the river and elbow falls. In the winter you can toboggan down the big hill just outside the hotel. Golfing close by. Summer music festivals. The Banff Centre within walking distance.

The building(s) that comprise the hotel are beautiful. Historic Canadiana with some improvements, renovations and additions throughout the years, but they have managed to maintain the distinct charm.

The rooms are lovely, with stunning views. The beds are big and comfy with gorgeous linens. Most important on my list is that the rooms are clean as a whistle. The views from the rooms are truly unbeatable.

The amenities within the hotel are top notch. Several fab restaurants. I would recommend both the brunch in the Bow Valley Grill and the high tea in the Rundle lounge. I've not yet had anything less than an exceptional meal at this establishment. We make a point of going for brunch here a couple times a year.. make a pilgrimage just for the brunch.

The Spa and pool are truly incredible. You can smell the spa (in a good way) long before you reach the spa itself. The outdoor pool is pretty special too... not sure where you can find a similar view.. stunning.

I've not one complaint of this hotel. Check out their packages, as they have some great weekend/family packages!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank CaminoGirl
Fairmont_Banff_Mgmt, Manager at Fairmont Banff Springs, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a review of your stay. It is so nice to see the hotel and surrounding area through the eyes of our guests and clearly you are a loyal guest of ours. We truly do appreciate that!!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Spent 8 days there for a wedding and family event. The service was great throughout, they upgraded rooms wherever possible without being asked. The view from my room was one of the best I have ever had.The food was good. It is very convenient and a nice walk to Banff with shops and restaurant.
It is expensive but provides what you would expect at that cost. A big advantage for me, no tipping as that is already included, saving lots of confusion over when and how much to tip. I was surprised at the number of dogs staying there as they are usually not allowed in high end hotels.If you join the Fairmont Club which is free you get express check in and out and free internet in your room.

Room Tip: Rooms with view of mountains are a must to get full value of time spent there
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank dalek99
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed a nice lengthy stay with us for a family vacation and wedding. We truly hope you enjoyed the special occasion! Fairmont Hotels are pet friendly, as we recognize that pets are, to some, a member of the family. That said, we have pet designated guestrooms and amenities but with the exception of a service dog, pets are not permitted in any dining area or pool/spa facilities.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of having you as a guest again with us and thank you for writing.

London, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We enjoyed exploring the castle in the Rockies for almost one week. It provided a great base for skiing (excellent snow with powder most days in midApril!). Highlights included the Rocky mountain views, steaming salt water outdoor pool (no need to visit the sulphur springs), the hot tub and the bowling lanes. The staff were from many different countries and provided excellent service. We kept finding new parts of the grounds and hotel to explore even on the last day. The Ramsay lounge in the Stanley Thompson wing is a hidden and quiet lounge for a casual dinner. Only downsides were limited restaurant options oriented toward families and long walks to get to some of the locations. Book a suite if you have a family - size of room good, though no kitchenette.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the hotel if you have limited mobility as there are stairs and long walks to get to...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank katelondon22
Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor! We are so pleased to hear you loved the Spring skiing! We had RECORD snow this year and the conditions were phenominal. Having three ski resorts so close to The Fairmont Banff Springs (Mt. Norquay, Sunshine, and Lake Louise) gives our guests some great variety over the course of a ski vacation. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and we hope you will return!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Got a $200 conference rate for a King room overlooking Bow Valley. Arrived around 12 noon and told the room wasn't ready. Assuming they saw I was a President's Club member they offered a room on the 'Gold' floor but I decline (didn't see how much the upgrade was). I was called around an hour later to say my room was ready and was told that my bags left a bag check would be brought up to the room.

The room was small but had a great view. The toilet wasn't functional upon arrival and my bags weren't in the room but when I left a few minutes later to get a coffee, bags were there and the toilet fixed. Bed was very comfortable. Only complaint with the room was that there was a constant squeaking coming from the air vent sounding like a fan that needed oiling.

Other than the counter service coffee shop (where a large latte was around $5) I didn't try any of the in-house restaurants as the walk into the town was around 10 minutes. I had a drink at one of the bar areas on the mezzanine level where they had TV's showing hockey playoff games ($9.50 for a beer!). Booked a massage at the spa and it was fantastic. The gym seemed well equipped (but you need to get the code from the spa every day). Gym was busy every time I went (~ 6 AM) but more because of conference attendees still adjusting to east coast time, rather than a lack of equipment. I heard there were maps to some outdoor running trails but I didn't try them. Also didn't try the pools in the spa or the main pool.

I had a rented a car to drive here from the Calgary airport. Self-parking was $25/day in a parking garage that was around a minute walk away. I did see airport shuttles that left the hotel every couple of hours I believe.

Hotel and the grounds are beautiful. Everything was clean, service was excellent. Some areas seemed a bit dark but that is just the style of his hotel. Would love the come back with the family for some skiing.

My only small beef was that despite being a President's Club member, it didn't seem to be linked to my room. This was just a minor inconvenience (i.e. had to enter in my membership number for free internet rather than just enter my room #, had to show my membership card at the spa and gym), and I honestly didn't find it to be enough of a bother to call down to the front desk to correct this.

Would definitely stay here again, although not sure what I would do room-wise bringing the entire family given the small sizes of the rooms.

Room Tip: View of Bow Valley was worth it!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank peacefrogdog
Thank you for choosing to attend a conference at The Fairmont Banff Springs. We are truly sorry to read about the inconveniences on your arrival and we will reach out personally to you as we want to ensure a thorough follow up occurs on the room, especially the air vent, so we can have our team resolve this. We do hope you will return with your family - we will provide contact details for you when we email for when you may consider a return visit.

The Fairmont Banff Springs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banff
1.9 km away
3.2 km away
The Juniper Hotel
The Juniper Hotel
#4 of 33 in Banff

Been to Fairmont Banff Springs? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK