“Location-Location-Location”

Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Banff
Lexington, NC
“Location-Location-Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

This is an older hotel with character. We stayed in a standard room which was small but comfortable. The location is fantastic, right in the middle of Banff walking distance to everything with an easy in easy out convenient parking lot. Area bus stop is right across the street for comfortable reliable transportation in the metro area if needed. Pub in the basement has good entertainment and is a friendly atmosphere.. Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BoinLexington
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was very please to read that you had such a good experience while you were staying with us. I will pass on your nice comments to our staff. Location, location, location, I couldn’t agree with you more, seconds away from all that Banff has to offer. You will be pleased to know that we are in the process of renovating all of our guest rooms. They will look more modern and feel more comfortable.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we hope to see you soon.

Hotel management
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

This hotel is in a great location. We stayed in the older part of the hotel in March (unusually warm March). It is still nice, clean and a good basic room that included a bar fridge, coffee maker and a tea kettle. The reason we have rated this a 4 and not a 5 is because the windows do NOT open in the old part. The room thermostat is set at 72F. I like it warm but this was too warm for us, so we turned it down substantially. After being so warm the first night and not being able to sleep well, we enquired at the front desk about the heat. We were told that the cooling system was not on in the winter (make sense) but the only way to cool our room off was to turn the heating system off. We did so on our second and final night to no relief. Had we been able to stay in the new part and open a window, it would have been great.

Room Tip: Stay in the new area of the hotel that has windows that open.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MyDanesRock
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your most recent stay at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was happy to read that overall, you had a good experience while you were at the hotel. We are an older historic hotel, some of our rooms do not have windows that open you are correct but most of our rooms do. We are currently in the process of renovating all of our room with new furniture’s, accessories, etc… I do agree with you that our location is unbeatable, seconds away from all that Banff has to offer.

Once again, Thank-you for your feedback and we hope to see you again.

Red Deer, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

The first time we stayed we booked a "romantic" package and they gave us a room which had a view of ... WAIT FOR IT...the side of their own building! How frickin romantic! They did nothing to change our room when we complained. We did not get a reduced rate when we booked so I didn't get why we got such a crappy room. The breakfast wasn't all that impressive.

We gave it another chance and stayed there again. This time we got a joined room and out neighbors had a dog which barked all night. Again the hotel wasn't willing to relocate us.

We will never stay there again. The service and maintenance isn't great either

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Russian_queen1
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2012

I was very sorry to read that your latest stay did not meet your expectations. First, let me assure you that we do not assign guest rooms based on rates. We always try to give the best room available at the time. If one of our guest in unhappy with his or her room, we do everything in power to help. We can offer a different room providing occupancy permits, this can be a difficult task when we are sold out or close to it.

Once again thank-you for your feedback and I sincerely apologize.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Arrived after a 9:30 hour flight to find confirmed superior room with King size bed was unaavailable as hotel had no record. Offered superior room 234 with twin Queen beds overlooking Banff Avenue. The room was extremely large and also had two armchairs and a table as well as the normal chest and desk. The bathroom was however the smallest I have seen in years. It could not accomodate two people and if the shower curtain was pulled across the bath due to the inedaquate lighting you could barely see the controls. The bathroom was also unheated, bear in mind it was very cold outside and snowing, and the electrical connection to the hairdryer would not be allowed in Europe! The beds were good but again power and light were thin on the ground. The hotel is badly in need of a complete refurbishment and survives on its history.

Room Tip: Ensure you are in the main hotel and not in the south wing.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Les B
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Thank-you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your last visit at the Mount-Royal hotel.

I was sorry to read about the confusion on check in. Our superior room with king size bed and superior room with 2 queen size beds are the same room category. We do allocate those rooms based on availability. As for the rooms itself, you will be happy to know that we are currently in the process of renovating all of our rooms. New furniture, etc… The lighting in the rooms will be much more adequate once the renovations are completed.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback and we hope to see you in the future.

Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I chose this hotel because I wanted a convenient location in Banff. The hotel is centrally located to great restaurants, shops, and bars. I had driven past it the last time I was in Banff and thought it would be a good option for my next ski trip.

My check-in was great. The front desk agent was extremely friendly and managed to balance just the right amount of conversation with processing efficiency. The lobby was fairly poorly maintained but has the potential to be warm and inviting. The lobby floor clearly needed an aggressive mopping (having maintained a hotel during winter, I completely understand the challenges), and the furnishing were starting to show there wear and tear.

On taking the elevator to the second floor, the first thing you see getting off the elevator is a worn out chair, and chipped coffee table. Personally, I would remove it if you can’t afford to replace it. It sends the wrong message before you even get to the room.

The room was dated, but clean. (Which is the most important factor.). It was clear that some of the furnishings had seen better days. The bed was comfortable, and the bedding was up to date.

The bathroom was also clean, but in very poor condition. There was black mold in the bathtub which someone had tried to caulk over. Wall paper was peeling. And the lighting in the bathroom was very dim.

All of the above I could have lived with for that one night, but the poor sound proofing I couldn’t. At 3am I was woken up by the room above me with stomping, fighting, and profanity so load I could actually make out the word in my room. This lasted for 50 minutes.

First let me say I really wanted to like this hotel. However, after staying there once I would not choose to return. A hotels first and foremost job is to provide a quality night’s sleep, and this one doesn’t.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank BigHotelGuy
MRHGuestServices, Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this review, 29 February 2012

First, I would like to personally apologize to you in regards to your bad night sleep, we do want our guest to relax and refresh while they are with us. We do have security personal who patrol the hallways and they will knock on doors if the noise coming from the room is too loud. I will pass on your nice comments to my front-desk staff thank-you. You will be happy to know that we are currently in the process of renovating our guest rooms. When completed, they will look much more modern and up to date.

Once again, thank-you for your comments and we hope to see you again.

Hotel management

Travellers are raving about these Banff hotels