Our room was on the third floor (although the windows were only slightly above ground level) and it turned out to be very quiet - less street/parking lot noise than I expected. Our host greeted us with genuine warmth and got us checked in early - 2 hours before the normal check-in time. We received passes for the shuttle bus that stops right in front of Douglas Fir resort - it was great to avoid driving and parking in downtown Banff on a 3-day weekend. We hiked down into town (it's only a 20-25 minute stroll) and then took the shuttle back up. Our room had a full kitchen and we ate breakfast and one dinner there - there are adequate provisions for sale in the mini-mart and liquor store at the resort.
As far as the room itself, it was perfectly comfortable - good bed, plenty of towels, TV and wi-fi worked fine, black-out curtains made it nice and dark. It was warm so we didn't use the fireplace provided. The decor wasn't exactly rustic but it certainly had a mountain/ski resort vibe - a lot of wood, dark-ish carpets (think about all those guests tromping through the hallways in snow boots), the indoor pool and hot tub for the evening soak. I could easily imagine bringing a family here for a ski vacation. The indoor water slide must be great when everything is frosty outside! I am jealous of families in Calgary - this is the kind of resort we used to go to in California in the Tahoe area before everything got so "upscale" and too expensive for regular families. I can live without faux-marble tile in the bathroom when I'm in the Canadian Rockies!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banff’s Finest Family Accommodation, located on peaceful Tunnel Mountain. All units have full kitchen, air-conditioning, fireplace (most are wood-burning) and flat-screen TVs, DVD players and Plug n’Play panels (families can now bring their electronic gaming systems). Amenities include 2 Giant indoor waterslides, swimming pool, kiddie pool,outdoor hot tub, games room, multilevel indoor playzone, saunas, whirlpools, steam room, fitness room, barbecue stations and FREE/UNLIMITED use of the Town of Banff shuttle bus. Freeinternet kiosk, free local calls and free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Douglas Fir Resort And Chalets
- Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets Hotel Banff
- Douglas Fir Hotel Chalets
- Douglas Fir Banff