We LOVED our stay at Douglas Fir. After having arrived in Banff from Jasper, we had pretty low expectations as our accommodation in Jasper was pretty average. When we arrived at Douglas Fir, the front desk staff were incredibly polite, efficient and welcoming.
Our 1br + loft "condo" (more like a town home) was on the edge of the property with wonderful views of the mountains. The woods were just beyond the balcony, and it was lovely having such a peaceful and private outlook.
I was initially turned off when we entered the condo, as there was a strong "old fire" smell. However, we aired the place out a bit and eventually got used to the smell. It wasn't a horrible smell, just a distinct fire smell. The free (and plentiful) firewood was a very welcome touch. We had a fire almost every night.
The decor was a bit dated, but everything was incredibly clean and tidy. Lots of thoughtful touches. Cannot rave enough about the housekeeping staff, who did a great job keeping us well supplied each day with all we needed. We didn't want our beds made each day, but just occasionally needed more tea/coffee etc. They were always obliging and helpful.
Beds were very comfortable, and although this was presented as a 1.5 bathroom condo, the half bathroom (upstairs in the loft) was a very comfortable and roomy toilet with large sink and storage cupboards. It was as effective as a full-size bathroom, just missing the shower/bath bit. We were very impressed with this.
The play zone and kids waterslides were a great adventure for our 2.5yr old, and it made it so easy to pass a few hours in between exploring Banff. With small kids, it's great to have such easy entertainment close by.
The only negative experience we had was on the final night: a condo across the carpark was having a noisy party on their balcony. Lots of drinking, yelling, singing, loud music etc. After waiting for it to end, eventually at midnight I called the front desk to ask for some help. The front desk staff were wonderful, he straightaway said he would go down and talk to them. Within 10 mins there was total silence, and I later found out (the next morning as we checked out) that they had called a cab and asked the partyers to take downtown. Couldn't have asked for the situation to have been dealt with more promptly or efficiently.
The free shuttle into town was fabulous - very much appreciated! Made exploring downtown Banff super easy.
All in all, we loved our stay here and would definitely recommend it again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banff’s Finest Family Accommodation, located on peaceful Tunnel Mountain. All units have full kitchen, air-conditioning, fireplace (most are wood-burning) and flat-screen TVs, DVD players and Plug n’Play panels (families can now bring their electronic gaming systems). Amenities include 2 Giant indoor waterslides, swimming pool, kiddie pool,outdoor hot tub, games room, multilevel indoor playzone, saunas, whirlpools, steam room, fitness room, barbecue stations and FREE/UNLIMITED use of the Town of Banff shuttle bus. Freeinternet kiosk, free local calls and free parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Douglas Fir Resort & Chalets Hotel Banff
- Douglas Fir Resort And Chalets
- Douglas Fir Hotel Chalets
- Douglas Fir Banff