“not as good on second visit”
Review of The Nettle Inn - CLOSED

The Nettle Inn
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 June 2015

Had Sunday lunch (carvery) at the Nettle, knowing that it is due to close shortly. Whether or not this had something to do with the overall experience, but it was not as pleasurable as our first visit. The food was not to the same standard, my husband's beef was chewy, although he enjoyed the Belly Pork and Chilli starter. They had run out of ice cream,when it was time for dessert, so I had custard with my Sticky toffee pudding, which was the best part of the meal.

The soft drinks in the fridge are not cold, I think it is just used for display, and the added ice cubes are expected to cool down your drink?? well it doesn't.

The guy on the next table left a full pint of beer and having looked at how cloudy it was, I don't really blame him.

I agree with the other reviewer that the manager would definitely never win Mr Personality of the year, and maybe this is a contributing factor to the closure.

The food is not cheap and it is sad that the place is closing, but customers are still paying and should be provided with the same service until the door finally closes.

3  Thank Diane G

Reviewed 7 June 2015

Went as 3 couples Saturday evening (June 2015). Very nice dining room, elegant & clean. Waiting staff were well mannered & nothing was too much trouble. The menu was a la carte and leaning toward the continental. Fresh warm bread on the table and proper linen napkins. The house wine was palatable. Among our dishes was Rib eye steak, Shin of Beef (slow cooked & very tender) & sea bass. If you want & expect Wetherspoons grub or burger & chips, go elsewhere. Also if want & expect to get quality for £10 per head including vat go elsewhere. This is £30-£40 per head dining inc. drinks & a pud. We all thought it was well worth it & we will return.

1  Thank Flagpole
Reviewed 31 May 2015 via mobile

My wife and I booked meal for our anniversary at the nettle inn restaurant which been recommended to me by some of my mates , and we been there , all I can say about it if I rate it out of ten I give ten , the scenery was amazing, food was brilliant and excellent value of money , definitely we will go there again .

2  Thank azmy10
Reviewed 31 May 2015

This is a decent Pub in a Country setting near the lovely Derbyshire village of Ashover. We had a Saturday evening meal with a group of friends. The food was good, but quite expensive with starters over £6 and mains from £15 up. Manager is not very personable - a bit 'sour', but serving staff were more friendly. Good choice of drinks, with a couple of local cask ales which are great. Lovely ambience in the place on the night we visited. Would recommend - but don't expect a cheap meal.

1  Thank jandlUk
Reviewed 29 May 2015

We looked at the web site before going to this pub with friends who just like plain cooking. The web site showed a sample menu which included chicken & mushroom pie, beef burger, fish & chips, gammon egg & chips, sausage mash & onion gravy. These prices were from £7.95 to £8.75. On arrival there was nothing even similar to this on the menu and prices started from around £15. I asked if there was a bar menu as all prices showing on the bar menu on the web site were from £5.25 to £7. I was told that it is not available on Saturdays - again not mentioned on the web site. Although the food was excellent it was not at the prices we had been led to believe.