“Lovely cottage”

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Mel H
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Lovely cottage”
Reviewed 22 August 2018 for a stay in August 2018

We wanted a holiday this year that we could include our Labrador in, so we found this cute cottage just outside of Totnes, we had read the reviews that it was Dusty and in need of attention but we did want to see the area so thought we wouldn't spend the whole holiday inside anyway and went ahead to book. After booking some rules were sent through on dogs visiting so we suddenly had the sinking feeling that our companion wasn't actually as welcome as the write up for the cottage had implied. We phoned Christine up and discussed the dog turned out it was ok we were just not to let the dog bark as the neighbours would complain, he doesn't bark unless there are strangers around but we had picked this cottage with the private garden specifically for that reason.

We got there Wow the roads are hard work, I would really look into the route before you book and see whether or not you are ok with hedge diving the car there are some blind very tight corners on single tracks so many near misses it really tested the other halfs' driving and reversing up hill skills. We did get used to the route over the week but I know driving myself i'd not have had the confidence to drive them that my partner did. it's a matter of personal opinion.

We weren't surprised to be hit by the dusty abandoned smell when we opened the door but it is a cottage in the country side and we had read the reviews so we opened some windows and had packed febreeze and air fresheners. The gate that was reviewed in 2016 as being broke is still broke but we tied it shut with a rope to keep the dog from wandering. My daughter immediately ran upstairs to pick a bedroom and moved herself in!

It's LOVELY you suddenly forget the chaos of getting there when you're inside. The kitchen has absolutely everything there is nothing you could need that isn't provided the beds were very comfy and the bathroom was spot on. The garden is lovely too. It is dusty all the lamps were covered in webs but it is a cottage and I do agree with other reviews maybe a bit more dusting. But on the whole the cottage is lovely.

Our dog was quiet he didn't bark but next doors dogs barked THE WHOLE last 3/4 days even though we were told that they would complain about us if our dog barked and we would be called back to the house on days out to keep him quiet. BUT being a dog owner that didn't bother me it's a dog it was just a bit annoying we were told it was not ok on our side but ok for them. We were also told it was a lovely quiet area which it was and that was amazing until the Saturday night when next door then had loud dance music playing till 5:30am I don't know if they were holiday makers or residents but as you can guess I was less than impressed to be kept up all night I know this is something you can't control it just dampened the end of the holiday for me personally.

Nice selection of games and dvds love the drift wood ornaments.

The cottage is beautiful so cosy and comfortable we didn't want to leave! We had to physically peel my 8 year old out of the house! It's definitely somewhere I would like to visit again or infact live in ..... if I never had to leave :)

P.S - there was no clear bags for recycling we left them separate in supermarket bags.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Simon H
“Nice but needs a bit of love”
Reviewed 6 June 2017 for a stay in May 2017
people found this review helpful

Nice place in nice area but cottage is looking a bit tired and needs to be shown some love by the owners.

The grass in the front garden was about 5 inches high, the garden gate had fallen off its hinges sometime ago and the steps leading down to cottage full of old leaves which we brushed down so we didn't have to walk through them everyday during our stay.

Cottage not dirty as such but dusty and lots of bulbs around the cottage need changing (only 1 of 3 working in bathroom, 1 of 2 on landing and a couple in kitchen also need changing)

The first night we got there we both thought it might spoil our holiday but after wiping the dust and hovering we enjoyed our stay and found it very relaxing. (I did notice in the visitor book that 2 other guests mention about it being dusty etc.)

Barton cottage just needs to be shown some lover by the owners and it could be amazing.

Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Management Response
6 Jun 2017
Dear Simon
Thank you for your review. After being let down by the gardener who was contracted to look after the cottage we have now found another and the garden is now looking very smart. We will pass the comments to the housekeeper; but we do wish we had been given the opportunity to rectify these problems during your stay.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing