“good staff but lots of things not open all the time”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Trabolgan
Trabolgan Holiday Village
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Trabolgan
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We were in 99 house had fag buts laying at the door inside smelt of fags and even the balcony had butts laying on it. The bed linen also smelt of fags. Later in the week we watched so called cleaners smoking as they serviced other houses. At the nite time entertainment we had to wad though 7 smokers at the entrance ash bins on each side of the door these could have been put under roof in corner. Needs a good clean up and a new manager, book a hotel and they will ask smoking or no smoking Trabolgan could do lots better with little effort. Grounds staff do a great job.. The children s play ground needs fixed 1 is a mud pit other not much better. Archery guy lead a group over safety climbing harnesses This simply is not on tramping over safety equipment. Pool was good but go early to miss the crowd but the slide wont be open.Great staff at the out door carting and climbing. Indoor trample-en not staffed. Laundry only open limited hours 2 days a week so take plenty of clothes with you. We will find some where else next year

Room Tip: If you dont smoke ask for none smoking accom see what they say. Kids will need lots of clothes if th...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ernie r
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

This is my first ever post on trip advisor but felt I just had to share my experience for anyone intending to go there.
I am just back from my first and last visit to "Ireland's best holiday destination" as advertised and my doubts, having read the posts here, were sadly realised.
On arrival at the holiday house with our young family the initial appearance of the basic, run down building was even more disappointing than pictures already posted here. My first impressions were that the houses had been built during some time in the mid 20th century for some other purpose but having talked to other visitors it appears that they were in fact purpose buil,obviously with minimising cost in mind rather than any cutomer comfort.
The un-plastered painted internal walls set the tone throughout the "house" with the cheapest materials used in every area. The fusty smell meant that all windows were opened very quickly and I heard similar thoughts from other visitors who even resorted to purchasing scented candles to help disguise the smell. Even allowing for the poor standard of the house, the least that could be expected was that they were clean and again was disappointed.
Everything about the place was grubby to view and touch and my wife must never have seen me wipe as many kitchen top surfaces. Everything had that sticky dirty feel to it and the first night there was spent by lying on top of the bed using our own towels as blankets.
The next morning was spent ringing other known destinations which would have broken the long journey home for us as well as being of known quality. Unfortunately they were booked out and we decided to persevere and endure the remaining 3 days. I was prepared to pay again just to erase the memory but I fully intend pursuing my original costs as this plainly isn't good enough.
Having been shocked by the state of the accommodation I decided to walk down to the main entertainments area and then discovered what this type of hoilday was all about and would refer anyone to Sheila M's previous post which sums the place up without me adding. I decided to avoid the nightly entertainment after this to keep my sanity and in order to endure remaining days there.
The sight of the team of cleaners at 10 am on our leaving on Friday morning at least allowed me the knowledge that I was getting away from the place but did make me wonder what the hell was being done as we left the place a lot cleaner than what we first encountered.
On a positive note there are many activities to interest the children but here again the facilities are dated and most things have to be paid for and you then have to wonder at the overall cost of the holiday and based on the standard of the place is certainly not reflected in the price. I have to be honest here and if it were free to visit again I would not waste the cost of travelling back.
The concept of such a place is good but surely today in Ireland we could have a state of the art modern complex for a family holiday even in these difficult economic times.
Another positive is the location and the local friendly people but this can easily be experienced by staying outside Trabolgan and using it as a day visitor if you really need to visit.
I noticed a sign whereby some tourist organisation awarded the complex the best 2002 self catering award and even after allowing for 10 years in the meantime find this unbelievable and wonder how or who could have awarded this without the use of a brown paper bag!
I could go on about the spiders and ants in the kitchen or the kick boards falling(I didn't dare look too closely for fear what would be found behind them) but to sum up the children should have some good memories of the area and new friends met to give some credit to the place but Trabolgan will never again be on my list as an Irish family holiday destination and I fully intend to highlight my thoughts with the Irish Tourist Board if this is the best that can be offered to Irish families and those outside the country. I did see some UK and Asian visitors and cringed as to what they may be thinking if this is what the Irish Tourist Industry can offer any family.
I travelled in spite of my reservations as I have seen unfair negative comments in the past on some places but on this occasion they have been understated in most posts.

Room Tip: Stay outside Trabolgan holiday village and use it for day trips with children if necessary
11  Thank James K
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Jusr home will take me a month to get over it. Everything in the case filthy. Never again. The staff are nice. The houses - how people are expected to stay ther never mind pay is mind boggling. It was not a nice experience at all. It is in a good spot with lovely views of the sea just all needs to be knocked down and rebuilt. I was very very dissapointed with our stay.

Room Tip: We were in waterford castle lodges last year lovely and great location highly recommend.
9  Thank Karinaoffaly
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Initial impression was playground filthy as no all-weather covering on ground, muddy after rain. Crazy golf needs repairing in spots. Stayed 3 nights. Late night revellers kept me awake each night. Average clientelle were there for the slot machines, the booze and the fags. Broken glass on ground in places. Place like a ghost town in the mornings as most people sleeping off their hangovers no doubt! As a result we had a private breakfast with Bob the Builder! Changing area in pool needs repair and cleaning in places. On a positive note was happy to see a stair gate in house. Peace of mind when have a 2 year old. Also would highly recommend Sally O'Hara's restaurant for good quality food at a very reasonable price and staff there very helpful. Overall not a destination we'll be returning to as children's activities can be found elsewhere in the country and without the price-tag and sleep-deprivation. Was an endurance test not a holiday. Very disappointed.

Room Tip: Maybe just go on a day trip.
9  Thank Sheila M
Reviewed 14 August 2012

to start with we had a great time here for weekend.loads to do with the kids. but houses need to be updated . carpets are very old and walls need plastering.curtains are old. and musty smell. play area could do with mats as they are only full of mud.couldn't play there. swimming area is fine but hot but changing area is rotten. smell of urine. and to top it all off then my 2 year old got foot and mouth virus. disgusting. had to pay 50 euro to see a doctor and there was none on site.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank yvonnemaher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trabolgan
11.9 km away
Midleton Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Midleton
17.4 km away
Clayton Hotel Silver Springs

Been to Trabolgan Holiday Village? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK