“Evening Meal”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Spend time with us for great pub food in a place you'll love. We serve classic dishes with a modern twist - it's the perfect place to get together with familly and friends. Located in the village of Horndean, the Red Lion serves a diverse seasonal menu of freshly cooked, classic British pub dishes. We're proud of our homely and welcoming atmosphere and broad selection of drinks, including tempting wines, well kept beers and refreshing soft drinks. Plus, we're situated close to Charles Dickens' birthplace and St John's Cathedral - perfect for days out. We hope to see you soon!
Reviewed 17 April 2022

Quiet evening with good service and an enjoyable meal and drink. The meal was served timely and overall proved good value for money.

Date of visit: April 2022
RedLionDM, General Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2022

Hi lesd811

Thankyou for the review. We cant wait to welcome you back again.

Emily,
Red Lion Horndean

Write a reviewReviews (653)

Reviewed 16 April 2022 via mobile

Both myself and my partner having a weekend away after myself recovering from surgery. We were staying in the premier inn and has been sat in the pub garden with drinks all afternoon. We were looking forward to a meal on the evening.
The starter was fine, nice chilled prawn cocktail on chilled lettuce and tomato. The dishes were collected and less than one minute later the mains were brought out. Fast service but no way was this just dished up!
The whole meal was luke warm, the warmest part was the coleslaw and the salad!Yuk
My partner eats almost anything but he really didn’t enjoy it at all. I struggled to eat any of it, my partner forced down as much as he could as he was starving but I just couldn’t stomach it. I’ve never seen him leave any food but his knife and fork went down before the plate was empty.
Worst meal I’ve ever had. Just about warm and quite stomach churning. This had definitely been kept warm before serving, not good. I’d rather wait five minutes than receive a meal that’s not edible. It’s not like it was busy, lots of empty tables.
My meal was taken off the bill but that doesn’t help my evening. Waiting staff were nice, not their fault.
Breakfast will be eaten elsewhere tomorrow. Definitely won’t be visiting here again.

Dear G9884RJanns,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience with us, this is definitely not up to our normal standard. We will look into this and talk to our kitchen team about your review on the food.
I am sorry this could of not been rectified on the evening as we could of redone both your meals for you, although I know they should of come out perfect first time.

Hopefully you will come back in the future and we can show you how great we can be.

Emily

Reviewed 13 April 2022 via mobile

Booked quite late on the spur of the moment, but still fitted us in.
Really good food and reasonably priced with a menu that has something for everyone.
Service was excellent, Robbie was friendly and attentive, really would recommend the Red Lion, think we might try the breakfast next!!

Date of visit: April 2022
RedLionDM, General Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2022

Dear jimdt2015

Thankyou for your great review. We are so glad that Robbie looked after you so well.
We will look forward to welcoming you back to try our all you can eat breakfast!

Many Thanks,
Emily

Reviewed 10 April 2022 via mobile

Tonight we went a a family meal our waiter was Robbie and he was attentive to our needs ( I have a fussy stepson ) and attention to detail was excellent, and amazingly friendly. We go to the red lion regularly for breakfast on Sundays and our little red head waitress who I think is called Lottie ( don’t quote me) she never fails to disappoint either her cheerful banter and attention to detail also… we are always very happy and all the staff are always on hand for us

Date of visit: April 2022
RedLionDM, General Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2022

Hi Steve-jayneK

Many thanks for your kind review about Robbie and Lottie. I am really glad that you have such enjoyable time and both dinner and Breakfast and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Many thanks

Matt
Red Lion

Reviewed 9 April 2022

Had a lovely experience lovely lunch couldnt fault it and service was brilliant we were served by Matthew couldnt do enough for us he was so welcoming and friendly cant wait for our next visit keep up the good work matthew and bosses take note you have a wonderful employee there!

Hi 794shonab

Many thanks for your review and your kind words about Matthew. I am really glad that you had such an enjoyable experience and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Red Lion