“Great trip!”

Hotel Riu Vallarta
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
“Great trip!”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The accommodations of this resort were everything that we expected. The restaurants were good, the buffet had a great variety every day, the drinks were delicious (not weak as some say), and above all the staff was very friendly and went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we wanted. We never waited in lines and found it quick and easy to make dinner reservations. The beach was nice, but cloudy because of the bigger waves-not the best for snorkeling, but we had a blast playing in it every day. I would recommend this resort to anyone. We went with a group of adults, and the adult pool was a blast with activities throughout the day. The shows at night we're entertaining, and this hotel had a good night life. Along with the great weather and awesome service we would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Brea K
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,466)
  • Polish first
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We received great service while there, the activities were great and the night shows were amazing, however because of the time of year it really made our experience not so good. The resort was very busy, 90% of the guest were Mexican Families. We spoke to many of them and they were very friendly, however they do not have the same manners as we have. The buffet was a eating frenzy, the locals would butt in front of us and speak to the servers in spanish and be served without a thought. Some were eating straight from the buffet trays, picking food from the buffet trays with their fingers, not using the thongs provided. The Adult Pool was disgusting, we watched one guest throw up in the pool. On our second day we noticed that the water level was below the filtration intake and was not working. The water was cloudy and the bottom of the pool was slimy and full of sand. We were at the pool one morning and it was full of guest, the staff were scrubbing the side of the pool with a brush while guest were in it, no vacuum????? Showering on the beach before going to the pool was hectic, was standing there showering and next thing someone was literally in the shower with you. This resort is very noisy! If you are looking for a quiet resort this is NOT the resort for you, music is loud until 11:00PM. Then you can expect another hour of families running, laughing, screaming through the hallways to their rooms.... we had one night where the children were screaming and playing in the hallways at 3:00AM. We had many sleepless nights. Security is limited..... at 2:00AM when the Disco is done you can expect loud screaming, laughing and partying in the courtyard below. By the way, most room are overlooking the courtyard, where all of the activities happen. We were very happy with the staff and the resort itself however, we will never go to this resort again. We enjoy relaxation and quiet on our vacation.

10 Thank junevacay
Van
Reviewed 23 June 2012

First, I want to say that the Nuevo Vallartra/Puerto Vallarta is beautiful. There were a lot of things to do and the locals were very friendly. My husband and I got a really good deal through the signature vacations website so we decided to stay at the Riu Vallarta. Don't get me wrong, the hotel is beautiful but the service, staff and food absolutely need improvement. We requested a room on the highest floor with a king bed and that was exactly what we got which made us really happy but apart from that, things definitely were lacking. It is true that the weekends get really busy with locals checking in for a few days and then leaving on Sunday/Monday. Staff do cater to them before helping other guests and the buffet is like a mad house in the mornings. I literally had to fight my way to get a pancake. You have to make reservations for the three a la carte restaurants but you can only make them between the hours of 8AM to 3PM. Lineups to make reservations are really long and by the time I got to the front of the line, reservations had already been filled for that day and the next. We had to bribe our way into the steakhouse (Flamingo) but it was worth it. Nirvana, the Asian buffet restaurant was like any typical Chinese buffet you see at home and we never made it into Sir George. Everytime we tried to get in there, we were turned away. We finally asked someone at the front desk to help us but to no avail. My husband and I stayed in a 3 1/2 star hotel on our honeymoon two years ago in the Mayan Riviera. The food at that resort is 1000 times better than the food we ate at Riu. The beach was nice but we preferred the beach in Sayulita. The pool was good too, nice that there was a kids pool and an adult pool. Bar service at the pool was pretty good as well. Alcohol is also watered down as many people have said which disappointed my husband but nothing we can do. He did like that there was a self-serve mini bar in our room. Check in was easy but check out was a mess. Make sure you don't lose your towel cards... if you do, you have to pay $25 for a piece of plastic. The lineups to check out were so long and there was only one person dealing with everyone. I'm sure it's not like that everytime but from what I saw, everyday was mayhem with people trying to check out. I would definitely come back to Puerto Vallarta but will look for a different resort to stay in. I would also not recommend this resort to anyone regardless of the deals you can find.

4 Thank Rhea K
Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I went to Riu Vallarta for the 5.time on june 12. everything was again 100% I have absolutely no complain, the reason I am going always to the same hotel is, I experienced very good service everytime I was there, I travel alone and I was very impressed with the security what they have, I know first hand, and my Ocean view room was always very clean, I would like to reply to the recent Review from SR who has nothing good to say ,,, my sheets were always very very clean,,,, and in my opinion, if you stay longer and if it is only for a few hours ,,you have to pay,, period, its a 5 star and we all know they are not cheap, the people who work at the front desk ,,,,they are NOT making the rules,,,, they have to follow them,,, ITS THERE JOB,,,
and if someone DONT want to pay what they requested, well then Fernado at the reception has to EXPLAINE this to the one who is not willing to pay,
NOBODY treats you like a Criminal there BUT IF YOU REFUSE TO PAY what you used, well then they have to keep on eye on you that you dont take off without paying, thats all there is to it. and by the way, the front desk they DONT call a Taxi, because right beside there is the Entry from the hotel and there are always people right in front who just do that, you DONT really have to call, because there are Taxis lined up right in front 24-7
the hotel is very quiet at night, I was a little afraid that the musik would be too loud, but no worries, the disco is underground, you absolutely hear nothing, its a good place to be.
and if you have a special request for a strange drink or whatever, just go to the bar were ,,,Pillo,,is working no matter what he knows them all.
Those people work very hard, and they try so hard to please you,.

Room Tip: ask for Ocean View there is mostly a brise and if you dont want to go downstairs en de evening, yo...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank IngridCanada
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband and I stayed 8 days. it was my babymoon (we are expecting our first baby). the place is over crowded, food is the same EVERYDAY, rooms are not clean, sheets are stained, the view in a junior st is very nice though.

we requested them on checkout for an extension since we were leaving an hr later. and oit was so HOT my husband was worried if I get dehydrated for the baby. they agreed. we got down at 1.00 for checkout. they were busy and by the time i could get to checkout, they charged us $45 for the 45 mins delay (even though we stayed 8 days). while i would have been OK with that charge whats ticked me off to warm all other travelers, they treated us like criminals, stuck a security guard with us, refused to get a cab and pretty much indicated they wont let us leave! This is a money making racket. NEVER EVER go here if you are concerned for the safety of you and your family.

More than the money, its the tone and treating us like we are criminals that bothered me.

The guy at the front desk - Tony, was EXTREMELY RUDE and his Manager Fernando was even terrible.

I have visited many other cities in Mexico and this has been the worst place to stay. Trust me you dont want to be stuck in this place cause they treat you bad.

Room Tip: "Don't Go! Money making scheme"
3 Thank S R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
12.5 km away
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#40 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta
#17 of 125 in Puerto Vallarta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,744 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Vallarta? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK