“Nice Place but Things You Should Know”

Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Kingston
“Nice Place but Things You Should Know”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

First of all this is a beautiful resort with beautiful landscaping and is meticulously maintained. The two bedroom unit was spacious and well appointed except for the kitchen. It was very small,not well appointed and the fridge was too small as you will see in the picture.

Thr Mayan Palace is just one of the many hotels in the 'Mayan Compound' and has the fewest amenities compared to the others. You are not allowed to use facilities at their other hotels. We did have a pass to go elsewhere since we took the presentation.
While the unheated pool and beach are very nice it is a long walk to get there. They cannot be seen from the hotel. There is no hot tub and the children's play area very basic compared to the Grand Mayan kids fun facilities.

We took the sales presentation so we were able to spend the day at the Grand Mayan. You walk out the door of this hotel to their many warmer pools, terrific lazy river and many shady and private spots to relax. There are many places for kids to have fun. The kids' pool -playground is the best.
Some of the other hotels in the complex are the Grand Lux 1,2,3 and the Bliss. The firm is in the process of building 3 additional hotels and a train to the airport (?).

The 90 minute welcome breakfast presention was as usual 5 hours. The breakfast was excellent with many, many choices. This is a very slick well organized time share selling operation. It was two hours before the pitch began. My advise is to do your research before buying any timeshare and don't be pressured into signing on the spot.

The hotels here charge about $7.00 per hour for internet. There is NO FREE WIFI .

To get around the property they offer shuttles to the other hotels and to the main gate.To buy groceries it will cost you a cab ride about $6.00 each way as it is some distance from the compound. If you want to eat off premises you will have to walk the 15 minutes past the gate to get to several nice restaurants and there you can board a free trolley that takes you around the other hotels in the region.

In summary while the resort is nice, the location is too isolated for me and the most enjoyable place for a family would be to stay at the Grand Mayan. Security is excellent and you always feel very safe.

Room Tip: Not much chance of getting a ocean view if you exchange here through RCI or other such exchange co...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Joe G
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This resort is beautiful and well maintained. There is something for everyone. The restaurants are wonderful and the food is five star. It was awesome to wake up every morning and go to the Cafe de lago and have a buffett that had everything from eggs to sushi... and our waiters Marcolino and Armando are definitely the ones to ask for ...the service from these two were the best...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank melvalewis
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I went to this hotel for a family vacation from January 1 to January 8, 2012. The hotel is well located and it is a huge resort complex.

You can basically go to this resort and you do not have to go someplace out during the vacations since there are a lot of restaurants, they have their own grocery store and a lot of entertainment.

The rooms are fine although they look old and the furniture is outdated but the rooms are clean and spacious. The hotel is well maintained.

We went to several restaurants during that week but I would say that my favorite was the buffet breakfast. They had a lot of different selection and you basically can spend a good amount of time in such a great restaurant. I enjoyed a lot with my family.

During the day, we basically spent the time at the beach. It is a good clean beach and very relaxed. There are a lot of chairs and umbrellas so you do not have to wake up early to have a place.

We were having an excellent time there, but the last two days, there were something wrong with the water and the hotel run out of it and the response from the manager was not the one that we expected. They did not apologize and the solution that they gave us was to use the gym facilities to take our shower.

Overall, it was a good trip, however we had that incident and we understand that this could happen, but we expected to have a better response from the management.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Cumberland, Rhode Island
Reviewed 10 February 2012

They are not very good at accomodating guest's wishes, like floor level, bed type, ocean view, etc. I went 1 week before to make sure that I would get my desired ocean view & was promised it. The man even gave it to me in writing & signed it. Of course, when we checked in we didn't get it & when asked, the same man denied that it was his signature. He said he would have to ask his boss. I promised my wife that I would ask every day for a room change (we were there 2 weeks), which I did. The construction going on outside our room, all night, was unbearable. Finally at the end of the first week, I got a sympathetic clerk who got the supervisor (yep, the same man that denied he spoke to me & gave his signature) to OK the room change. If you want to be lied to, this is the place to go. We explained this to the time-share people who bugged us every day, & told them not to waste their time, or money, on us.
If the Mayan Palace reads this & wants to improve upon customer service, maybe they could be more flexible at the front desk. Since Mayan Palace caters to Americans & Canadiens, maybe they could give some professional development to their employees on telling the truth to customers, no matter how bad it is. The Americans & Canadiens that I know place a premium on the truth.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank ted36
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Got the week at Mayan Palace at a price that couldnt be passed up so at that price I cant really complain(too much). The grounds are beautiful but I probably would not go back to MP unless it was actually free. The unit itself was oddly equipped and came only with a little dish soap, a few coffee filters and the usual toiletries. We forgot paper towels on our grocery list and they were $4.50 (US) a roll at the store in the MP lobby and a pint of coffee creamer at the Sun Market by the Sea Garden was also $4.50 so make a shopping list for big shopping and dont forget anything on it! The only pools available to the MP guest were the Mayan Palace and The Sea Garden (which they dont offer shuttles to). You have to take the shuttle to the Grand Mayan and walk or take a cab or a bus. It's not far but didnt seem worth our efforts. No hottub at either hotel that we could use. We only ate out once at the very over priced meal at the pool restaurant our first night and cooked in the rest of the week. Internet was $17.00 a day but were were able to get the occassional signal by the the pool for free long enough for a few mintues a time or 2. The grounds are lush and there are turtles and iguanas always at the lagoon. We even saw a raccoon in the bushes one night. We didnt spring for the Beach Party on Monday or the Fiesta on Thursdays but watched from the beach and were really glad we didnt pay to get in. They looked pretty dull compared to many shows I have seen in Mexico. They have signs about beware of crocodiles on the grounds but didnt see any there but we did see one that was about 8'(?) in the canal at the bus stop outside of the Grand Mayan entrance. Pretty cool to see a critter that large in the wild and free in such an "urban" place. The complex is fairly remote and I felt a little trapped not being able to actually reach the main road without 1,2 or 3 shuttle rides to catch the public bus or a long long walk or the cost of a taxi to the main road. However once you do get to the entrance of the sister hotel Grand Mayan the bus is right there and is an easy in and out from the resort.
The cab fare from MP to Walmart Nuevo which is the closest for major grocery shopping is 60 pesos going and 70 pesos returning. The bus fare from either the front of Grand Mayan or Sea Gardens to the Liverpool Mall / Walmart Marina is 13 pesos each way and is a pretty quick ride. We used the bus twice to go to and from the casino at Liverpool which was clean, friendly and fun.
We booked the Mariettas Eco / Whale watching tour with Vallarta-Adventures and I would recommend this company to everyone.We took the hotel shuttle from MP to GM entrance and it was a 20-25 minute walk (which we did in the dark at 7:00am and an afternoon tipsy post cocktail return walk).They had a full on cold breakfast of rolls, muffins, cereal, cheeses, fruits, coffee and jucies. A very nice spread to fill anyones tummy. The tour was a blast in every way and we saw probably 15 whales. After snorkle / kayak / beach time the lunch of coldcuts, cheese, sandwiches, pasta salad and fruit was delicous and the sodas, beers and cocktails they served never ended until arriving back at the dock. Every thing about the trip was perfect and fun and more than worth every single penny we paid. I highly recommend this company. Thats about it for our week at Nuevo so the last info I can offer here is the cab fare from MP to our next hotel The Hotel Encino in old town PV was 190 pesos. Next time I visit the Vallarta area I will definately stay in PV rather than NV. Staying at that resort area really felt like I could be at any resort area in the US and thats not what I traveled to Mexico for......

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family