4,115 results
All reviews first club royal club la hacienda le buffet italian restaurant adult pool lounge bar smaller resort time share vacation club the general manager special thanks recommend this resort ocean view all inclusive resort the wait staff nightly entertainment
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Most of our issues with the resort have been mentioned, but a couple quick notes to consider before booking, we would have chosen elsewhere if we new the following ....
No swim up bar
NO HOT TUB
There is a large pool and a small, presumably kids, pool, but the kids use both and take over all shallow areas leaving half a pool to relax in
No free Wifi, and the one computer in the lobby was removed after day 2
Only one real fancy restraunt, the mexican had great food, but it doubled as the daytime snack bar (which is just left overs from breakfast and lunch) so the Italian was the only indoor elegant place to eat.
Food was ok but the same mostly everyday, didnt lose weight but certainly didnt tempt us to over endulge
NO BATHTUBS in the rooms! Could not beleive this. We asked to switch to a room with one, willing to pay extra, and they said they only had them in the time share area and we couldnt go in to one of those. Huh?!
Only the ground floor rooms have "balconies"
Zero sounds proofing in the rooms, we heard EVERYTHING happening in the rooms to all sides and above us. And although the rainstorms were cool, they were SO loud we couldnt sleep at night
Beds are REALLY hard
They fill the fridges every second day. All out of water? Too bad for you.
No service on the beach, except TONS of vendors
Time share agents in the lobby are VERY pushy

Positive notes ...
Eric in the buffet, and most servers, offered wonderful service!
The onsite photographer was fantastic, Carlos
Very clean
Beaches were beautiful and endless
Starbucks (free wifi) and trendy mall two blocks away
Drinks were well made, always used high end alcohal, first time resort drinks 'got to me' lol, so they had to be making them right!
Free Birthday decoration and attention for my husband (towel cake, balloons, confetti, and personalized dessert delivered to room) as well as at lunch Eric in the buffet organized song, shot and dessert :)

Our time here wasnt horrible, no one was overly rude, service and cleanliness were outstanding at times, the resort itself just isnt up the the standards I have enjoyed elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dustin S
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We just returned from our first summer vacation to Mexico which was quite a different experience. Hot, humid, lots of kids, teens and Mexican vacationers, the highlite of this vacation. The Occidental vacation club staff were very pushy until they got you to come to their exhibit. We knew the prize at the end of the presentation would be a few heavily discounted adventures so we stuck it out always maintaining we wouldn't buy and finally after2 hrs of our time we had a scuba dive for 2 and ATV RIDE FOR 3 at adeep discount.As for the most important part of the vacation, the room was very nice, modern and spotless. The king bed was comfy the single cot was comfy and we had room to move around. The little problems were VERY quickly fixed and done with a typical beautiful Mexican SMILE. The food was the best we've had in any all inclusive vacations(7) and the Italian was by far the best ALA CARTE restarant we've been to.The beach was clean, and gorgeous and warm. The only negative was in not having a balcony. A balcony is a must for drying bathing wear!!!! especially in the summer humidity.

Room Tip: facing the ocean is nice but can be a little noisy between 9pm and 11 pm during the entertainment.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mleab
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I totally agree with KCtravel2012. I vacationed there the week of June 30, 2012 with my husband and four 22 year olds. There was not much for any of us to do. The kids wanted to switch hotels but our Apple Vacations rep said there were no openings anywhere. This place is rated a 5 apple and I can't believe it got that rating. It's more like a 3.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Susan W
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Occidental Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear Susan W,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you were disappointed by your stay. Please know that we do offer different daily activities for the entire family, including kayaking lessons, beach volleyball, soccer games, water polo, ice breaker games, and our DJ Monday to Saturday from 11:00 pm to 1:00 a.m. During the evenings, we put on a variety of shows, including a traditional Spanish dance performance.
I hope you will come back to visit us and try all these popular and fun activities.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I def wouldn't come back. The time share sales are persistent and annoying. The rooms were mediocre. The buffet was a mess. Thank god we had a pass to the Royal Club, the only nice thing about the resort.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank anita w
Lesly R, Quality & Control Manager at Occidental Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Dear Anita W,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Royal Club, though it saddens me to read how disappointed you were with the rest of the resort. We would like to apologize for your experience with the Vacation Club representatives (those are the time share sales people you referenced). I will speak with the Vacation Club Manager immediately. Your comment about the rooms surprises me, since we just completed an extensive renovation. We also often receive great feedback from guests regarding the rooms.

I hope you will visit us again and give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Some of these things are stated in previous reviews, but deserve to be Simply stated again:

1) There is only One Pool
2) There is No Swim Up Bar at that One Pool
3) The One Pool was FULL of KIDS
4) The Waitress service at the Pool and the Beach is non existent/minimal at best
1st day – Zero Waitress service to the beach
2nd day – 1 time in the afternoon to the beach
3rd day – 2 times in the afternoon to the beach (remember I was at the beach because
the pool was full of kids!)
4) There is NO night life (I was in bed between 10-10:30 nightly)
5) No Balconies, or very few and I think they were for the Time Share guests.

I am a 40 yr old single female that was envisioning a quick getaway (Wed thru Sun) to Lounge by the Pool/Beach, sip on cocktails, make friends and enjoy some time in Mexico. I booked the trip thru my travel agent, via FunJet Vacations, a mere 2.5 weeks before date of departure. I got an incredible price for airfare and 4 nights all inclusive on the beach.

The precious words I neglected to add in my requests to the travel agent… ADULTS ONLY!

I had done approximately 6 hours of research on reviews on the property before departure. Mentally I came prepared for the following obstacles:
1) No straws in the drinks (BTW… totally a Non Issue, they had straws!)
2) No Conditioner or Body Lotion in the Rooms
3) Can only eat at the “non buffet” restaurants 1x/3 nights
4) Rooms only restocked every other day (later to find out it’s actually every 3rd day)

Upon Check In, I had notes written as to which rooms #’s had great views, etc….. The front desk attendant was immediately rattled, so I asked about an Upgrade to the ROYAL CLUB rooms. He took me to that exclusive area for check in and I was immediately “sold” on it.

No, not a time share upgrade.
Just an Upgrade to Royal Club.
It cost an additional $35/night when asking for it once you are there.

With access to Royal Club you get:
1) Reservations every night at either of the 2 non Buffet Restaurants
2) Private Restaurant on the top floor for Royal Club only
3) Top Shelf Liquor at Royal Club bar
4) Above and Beyond service
5) Restocked fridge DAILY
6) Turn down service at night
7) 2 computers with internet in Royal Club lounge for free

I cannot say enough POSITIVE things about the Royal Club upgrade. I am very confident I would have been miserable on my stay at the resort without the upgrade.

I estimate that 75% + of the guests were Mexico Native FAMILIES on Vacation. Apparently, July is the month for vacations for the locals.

Other Points of Interest to Review:

1) The beach was great! Clean and you could walk forever. Though there is a constant stream of vendors selling their jewelry, dresses, hats, etc. About every 20-30 min someone would ask you if you are interested. A simple no thank you would work, but every 30 min got to be a bit much.

2) The water was NOT cold as I had read it would be. I loved the waves and the ability to walk into the ocean without rocks (as it is on the Eastern side of Mexico)

3) The Service really was as excellent as all reviews have said. I spent $100 in tips total, mostly because I was soo happy with the service ($5 meals, $1-2 drinks, $3 housekeeping). The only place the service could have been significantly better would be the Pool/Beach Bar. Very inconsistent in the quality of drinks, they had a much more “I don’t care” attitude about providing service.

4) Puerto Vallarta is apparently a 25-30 min cab ride south of the resort. I did not go into town mostly because I was alone on vacation and I had heard the clubs were full of teenage/early 20’s kids that were pretty sloppy drunk. I’m sure that depends on the establishment, but I didn’t make the effort to go find out.

5) The FOOD. I thoroughly enjoyed the Italian Restaurant and the Royal Club restaurant. The Mexican place was just ok. I only had the Buffet One time (why would I eat there when I could go to the exclusive Royal Club with menu service for all 3 meals/day), and it was Ok at best. Though the service, again, was great.

6) The Rooms in the Royal Club were spacious with a big bed and very clean. Very impressed.

Summary: I would not return. I would recommend it to a Mexican Family looking for a Vacation Destination, but not to an American looking for a fun vacation. Small, Boring, Limited Options.

Room Tip: ROYAL CLUB!!! Highest possible floors A/C works well.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo