“Royal Club member”

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 16 March 2012

1st time at this resort. Enjoyed it very much. Beach area lovely but water cold, dark. No white sand. so rarely spent time at beach. Always at pool. Food was great. At times served a little cold, but otherwise for the amount of people they are cooking for no complaints. Fun Club did everything to get people going. Very upbeat group even though at times people didn't participate. Room was always clean. No private pool for members. RC beach area far from First Club. Wonderful staff.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Menlea

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I am a member of Occidental Allegro now for 10 years. I joined in the Dominican Republic and was given a weeks free upgrade to First Club as a gift of my ten years of Platinum membership. I think it was also as an incentive to upgrade!
The resort is lovely and the staff for the most part very accomodating with a great fun club that had many people involved in the water aerobics, aerobics, volleyball etc. I even had a lesson in kayaking. I did enjoy two of the shows they put on that in the evening: Mama Mia and a traditional dance show.
I came this week alone as my friends were unable to get off from work or could not afford to go this trip. I was able to change my room the second day due to noise and noxious smells from the lobby restoration. The First Club Manager Israel was not friendly and did not even reply when I thanked him for moving me!
The rest of the week was uneventful except for the disturbing loud noises at 2:30 AM one night, and between 2-4 AM other nights. One night we were awakened at by a man screaming "fire, fire, fire" and you could smell smoke. I finally opened my door when I heard more voices and a security guard was there. The smoke was from an incinerator buring trash at night and had filled our hallway but we did not need to evacuate. The other loud noises sounded like someone banging on a dumpster, and another night by someone knocking loudly on doors but blocking the peephole as my neighbor told me!! In the morning the stairs were littered with broken lights that illuminated the stairs as the place had been vandalized. Not very restful sleep but I was able to get back to sleep each time.
My main complaint was that the last day I tried to gift a bottle of tequila to an employee. I was publically informed on the beach by the First Club Manager Israel (and another woman who stood by and observed from the head office) that I had broken the rules and guests were not to give employees gifts without a written letter and that alcohol could not be given. The Tequila was confiscated by security and was not returned until I insisted the next day! The manager then proceded to tell me that I could give gifts but it had to be off property. So the night before I left I did so.
Again I was reprimanded by ISRAEL as I was checking out!! I found out that these gifts were all confiscated by security!! I also found out from other people at the resort that I was being spied on, observed and labeled as someone to keep an eye on! All of the employees had been warned about me! I was treated like a criminal!!!
I will NEVER return to this resort!!!!! I cannot believe the treatment I received. Be very careful if you are a single young woman going to this resort. I am sure that you are being watched.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Debbie N
Lesly R, Lesly Romero, Quality & Control Manager at Occidental Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear Dnic,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor, and I sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you experienced. I will be reaching out to directly through Trip Advisor to discuss your feedback in more detail.

Please know that we always put our guests first and our goal is to provide the highest level of comfort to our guests. Are staff undergoes rigorous training and they usually receive extremely positive feedback from guests. I will speak with Israel immediately about your comments. I’m also reaching out to you directly through Trip Advisor to discuss everything you mentioned in more detail.

Again, I’m sorry to hear about you negative experience with us.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

The renovation was very nice and the rooms seemed very refreshing and new. We are Occidental First Club members and took two senior friends with us, asnd their first trip to MX. Everyone had a great time, the food at the two specialty and upscale buffet restaurants was a daily treat. The staff was very accomodating for all our needs, even for special requests. We took a city tour, went whale watching, and hired a taxi for a personal day of shopping and flea market experience versus taxi and bus, very reasonable. For the first time in 15 years, the sun didn't show very often, but the cold and snow at home made the 80 F temps feel balmy. There is a convention and new theatre planned, along with more ammenties for First Club.

Room Tip: If you are traveling in a group, ask for adjoining rooms for kids, or studio rooms. The view is the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank WoodyP13
Reviewed 13 March 2012

I would have to say after reading last years reviews there has been some awesome improvements to this hotel. My review is based on Royal Club.
My husband I were reluctant at first because of the extra money for the Royal Club amenties. But after going and experienceing the Royal Club we were glad we did.
Food:
I only ate once at the buffet which was fine but the rest of the time we enjoyed the a la cartes as a Royal Club member. We are not much of Buffet people. This was the main reason why we wanted the Royal Club. Food at Royal Club was excellent I only wish they would have a special for lunch everyday. The lunch menu is always the same everyday so it would be nice to see a little change. We also ate at the Mexico restaurant and Italian. We loved the Italian restaurant but that is probably because we love seafood. The Mexican was not one of our favourites but I think it may be because of what we ordered.
Rooms:
Very nice and clean. The shower is kind of neat. You can open up the big wood sliding door and see the ocean while you shower or you can close the the closet door for privacy.
My only complaint is no balcony's not even if you are in the Royal Club. We were told they are only for the people who have time shares. Oh well we still had and awesome view of the ocean so I am not complaining.
The people that look after the Royal Club guests are all amazing. I have nothing negative to say about any of them. Any issues you may have they are always willing to help. They all really made our stay special.
Beach:
This is why we love this area. You can walk forever on this lovely beach. The beach is endless.
Entertainment:
Not the greatest. Variety would be nice. It was dancing every night. But we did not come for the entertainment so it was not really an issue.
Overall the hotel is alot smaller than your Cancun hotels. So do not expect it to be a really large hotel. It is a great hotel to meet people and if you do have a disability you are not going to have any problems getting around this hotel.
I would have to say we had a really relaxing holiday so what more could you ask for.

Room Tip: A room closer to the lobby will allow you to get WIFI in your room if you so desire.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank T L
Reviewed 12 March 2012

What the resort didn't have because of it's size was made up for by the hearts and hard work of the staff. We were at the Grand for 9 days.Upon arrival we met with Iveth in the Royal Club where she explained the amenties of the resort. She was outstanding all week. Ok, l need to go through the list of staff that was a great part of the week. Gabriela was very fun. Chef Jordi was great. Not only his cooking but personallity also. Daniel and Carlos with the dinner service were very good. After15 and 14 years at this location they should be. Enjoyed them! Andrea had the breakfast and lunch service and was great also. Soledad, filled in great when Iveth and Gabriela were off. (thanks for the 2pesos) ;-) Not last with our complements but the one who's name was last on my list is our house keeper Alicia. It was always fun to walk back to the room and see the towel animals she had made. The whole staff was very friendly and worked very hard to mke sure our stay was as good as it was. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU !!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple