“What a fabulous week at the OGNV!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Occidental Nuevo Vallarta

Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Toronto, Canada
“What a fabulous week at the OGNV!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We just returned from a fabulous week at the Occidental Grand Neuvo Vallarta. From the first night to our last night, we had nothing but great service and excellent food and drinks in a beautiful setting. It's a relatively small hotel in size and number of rooms and that suits us perfectly.

LOCATION - The hotel is only 20 mins. from the airport, which is a real plus after a 5 hour flight from Toronto The area is attractive and feels safe. It's easy and inexpensive to take a bus to downtown PV. There are numerous tours offered, but we didn't participate, preferring to visit friends in nearby Bucerias and downtown PV.

HOTEL - The huge open air lobby is very impressive upon arrival. We loved the modern decor and openness of the lounge area. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and very well kept, tidy and clean.

ROOM - The rooms have modern, functional decor, with beautiful tiled bathrooms. There is plenty of storage in the closet, drawers and bench. We appreciated the coffee maker and the regularly stocked mini fridge.

POOL - The pool is heated and is a pleasant temperature, since the ocean tends to be cold. It is very well maintained each day and is extremely clean. Love the chairs around the pool - very comfortable.

FOOD - Excelllent! We were impressed with the variety, selection and presentation for all meals at the buffet each day. There were so many good and different things to try and we certainly give it our best effort. Meats and fish were cooked to perfection, salads and vegetables were fresh and creative. We really enjoyed the different themes each night as it was an opportunity to try many different foods. Kudos to the food and beverage manager as well as to the chef and his kitchen and serving staff. They are all doing a terrific job!

DRINKS - We found the house wines to be quite good and we certainly enjoyed our 'cervezas con limon' Por que non! Sandra always made sure we were looked after.

AMBIENCE - I personally enjoyed the choice of background music in the buffet each day. The pool area had great upbeat music for most of the day. The tone of the resort is one of quiet elegance.

The General Manager's weekly cocktail party is a great opportunity to meet the managerial staff. They are very open to any suggestions as to how they can improve and are willing to please in any way they can.

SERVICE - The staff at this hotel have been trained well and are responsive to their guests. We found them all (from bell boys to servers to maids) to be courteous, friendly and efficient. I had read about the level of service here and I was not disappointed. We really appreciated getting to know Edgar, Alejandro, Rigoberto, Manuel, Lionel, Cesar and Sandra. They treated us exceptionally well and they were very good at helping us with our Spanish. We also enjoyed our cappucinos 'to go' each morning.

WHAT MORE CAN I SAY? Nada. I could go on and on but others have said similar things. Jesus, the General Manager, is a class act. He is available, approachable and appreciative.
Our stay at the OGNV met all of our needs in a vacation and it far exceeded our expectations. Well done!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MissMoneypenny007
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Polish first
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

One week wasn't enough!!! The hotel is on the smaller side, we loved it. Our rooms were very clean and the bed was comfortable. When we checked in our first room had 2 twins and the only sad part was no balcony's, however they moved us to the main floor with a king and a patio, perfect! The beach is beautiful, the pool is kept very clean, we didn't enjoy the pool however as the music gets so annoying, and we love music..but the volume gets too much for such a small area, they have a bit too much with the bar playing one thing and the pool another, then they will have a game in there and there is no room really for the amount of people to use the pool, so we found ourselves enjoying the beach, which was fine with us. The peddlars have you when you are on the beach..but that is part of it, so a simple no and they move on until the next one. The food was good, you could always find something yummy to eat, the fruit was amazing!!! We ate at the beach restaurant for all our lunches..you must try the shrimp taco..still craving it! The Mexican Dinner night was a cold one weather wise so it is hard for me to comment on it but the Italian is a must go to...wow, and our waiter was so fantastic, I wish I could remember his name to share here. The staff are amazing, serious, we didn't come across anyone that made us feel uncomfortable, from the front desk on! My only problem with anyone was the woman in the lobby trying to sell us the Club, my husband being so polite didn't want to be rude, but how many times do you need to say no thanks!!? We have been going to Mexico for the past 16 years and stayed in many different locations and hotels, we don't like to go back to hotels a second time but we would go back to this one again. One word of warning to anyone travelling to PV however... check both receipts when paying with a credit card, we shopped on the Malacon on our last day, our store receipt read MXP 269.31 our Visa bill came and surprise it was $269.30 US, we are fortunate to have kept both our receipts but now have to deal with Visa, so that was upsetting!

Room Tip: not all rooms have balconys, if you don't mind a ground floor they have lovely little patios wit...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Heidi K
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We just got back feb. 24th, we had a great trip.

I read alot of reviews before deciding on Occidental, they helped me so decided to write a review .

The rooms were big ,clean nice decor. The bathroom modern and a good size.

The staff were really friendly. One review I read about the drinks, they said portions were small I didn't think so and you can always ask for more!!!!!

Food, breakfast was perfect ,anything you want you can get, loved the warm cinnamon buns.
My spouse loved the grill by the pool because he loves junk. Fries, fingers nachos with cheese sauce. The nachos chips at the buffet are better for me ,put on fresh guacamole, salsa !!!

I always found something I liked on the dinner buffet,so I really shouldn't complain. The food was 3/12 to 4 star.

The little snacks at the lobby bar around 4 were good, when we needed a little something.

The shows were ok, Mr and mrs occidental were pretty funny.

If you can't find the tv clicker in the gym use your rooms, same tv.

Overall great trip again loved the staff,

Room Tip: Don't take 309 , our key was never programed right, I don't know how times we had to ask to...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Annette G
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Loved this hotel! Was there feb 17- feb24.

Our week was a bit cloudy, but we got enough sun and some people still burnt.

-FOOD: The buffet was great! I found myself always saving at least half my plate for the fresh chips/guacamole/salsa! There were some theme nights that weren't my favorite (Chinese food night) but I always found something satisfying. The Italian restaurant was great! My beef medallion was cooked perfectly med rare as requested and melted in my mouth. My husband also really lIked his lamb. The Mexican restaurant was great during the day (mmm shrimp burrito!) but i was dissapointed with it on the night we used it as an a la carte.

-ROOM amazing. I could reach a wifi signal all week! Shower and decor was great. Bed is harder which was good for my back, but the pillows Hurt my neck. I was in room 220, close to gym, pool and lobby! PERFECT!

-STAFF amazing. Room was cleaned terrifically everyday! I tipped on the last day. A gentleman would knock door to door every other day to see if you needed anything restocked in your fridge. I had no problem with getting it restocked. I refilled my water bottles after my workouts in the gym with the water cooler anyways. Played the bingo by the pool a couple of times just to be nice but it turned out to be hilarious! Did the aquafit one day and had fun! I was the only younger person!

-GYM used the elliptical every morning. Used the water cooler to refill my bottles throughout the day.

-DAY TRIPS. Went to downtown PV and had a blast. Did a full day whale and snorkel sailing tour. Would rather have done just the whales, snorkeling was not as good in PV than I've done in cancun. Did the zip lining /repelling at Vallarta Adventures! sOOOOO great and challenging! The hiking is a good workout. The ride there is bumpy though!

-BEACH wavy! Try the boogie boarding! So much fun. If you like calmer waters, the pool is warm and clean

-FUN. Our group either played cards or games in the lobby bar every night or we would go to the beach bar to have a little more fun if we wanted. Drinks are STRONG in the lobby if that's what you are looking for. The beach bar staff are funny. ask them to surprise you with a drink or group shots and they have some impressive tricks up their sleeves!

-BIKES. You can borrow bikes from the security guard in the lobby for free! We rode all around the gated community the hotel was located in, locals were friendly and offered to take pics of us <3

-MALL. The mall across the street has a grocery store and a Starbucks! Grocery store has cheaper sunscreen etc.

• Stayed February 2012
12 Thank TorontoHeartsVacays
Belleville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Recently returned from a week's stay at Occidental. Resort on smaller side, which was good for what we were looking for, relaxing, nice beach, nice rooms, personnable. With all travels there are both up and downsides.
UPSIDES
Beach was fantastic. Nice size waves for boogie boarding, lots of room for skim boarding. lots of area for walking in both direction (to the pier, one way, long string of resorts the other).
Cleanliness - All grounds, beach, pool area, whole facilty was immaculate. Rooms were well cleaned as well.
Food - lots of selection. Our family had no issues with any days choices. Great breakfasts. A la Carte's OK, to be expected with a resort of this size. As other reviews "Mexican" not what we expected as Mexican. Open air style buffet restaurant was a nice atmosphere.

DOWNSIDES
Pool Size - when activities happening at pool, not a lot of room for just relaxing in the water. (the resort was fairly full during our stay)
Entertainment - Not a highlight.

Overall we had a very nice stay and definitely consider this resort and the area again. Puerto Vallarta day trip (take the bus- 1 way) was nice as well as the Vallarta Adventure "Outdoor Adventure" excursion was amazing. Night life at the resort was good, as you make your own fun, with people you meet and enjoy.

The downside of our trip was the flight to Puerto Vallarta with Thomas Cook as there were delays and an unexpected stop which almost doubled the flight time, which lead to some unrully and annoying travellers, well most people just made the most of it, knowing they were on vacation.

Room Tip: Some 3rd floor outside rooms have small balconies
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank CoachSS2121
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nuevo Vallarta
10.1 km away
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Sunscape Puerto Vallarta Resort ...
#41 of 127 in Puerto Vallarta
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
ClubHotel RIU Jalisco
#20 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,263 reviews

Been to Occidental Nuevo Vallarta? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK