4,103 results
All reviews first club royal club la hacienda le buffet italian restaurant adult pool lounge bar smaller resort time share vacation club the general manager special thanks recommend this resort ocean view all inclusive resort the wait staff nightly entertainment
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Our two week holiday (Jan 22-Feb 5 2012) at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta was excellent. The resort is very clean, very safe, well organized. The location of the resort was very clean, and friendly as well. Right across the street is a beautiful hospital, small shopping mall, walk in medical clinic. All spoke and understood English very well. Just outside the resort is a bus stop, taxies if you need.
The staff (ALL staff) at the resort were very friendly, hard working, always made everyone welcome. The food was always fresh, presented well. The waiters, bar tenders, kitchen staff were always very friendly, very helpful, always smiling and very clean and well presented. The fun club members, excellent, excellent, excellent, fun, fun, fun. Very friendly made everyone feel welcome. They always welcome suggestions and "act on them", bravo. The shows were very good. Housekeeping staff, excellent always there when you needed something.
We will gladly visit this resort again and again. Thank you to all at Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Gwen330
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed at the occidental Grand Jan 22nd to 29th, we loved this resort i honestly don't understand people who go on vacation and complain about little stuff like balconies! This place is beautiful and how much time do you spend in your room! They have done a wonderful job of re-doing this hotel, everything is nice and new and mondern.
The staff were nothing but nice and always had a smile on their face especially the bar staff, christian, eddie and jose were amazing!
The food was fantastic, the buffet had so much variety theres no possible way you could walk away hungry, i admit some meat was over cooked but better that then under cooked! Try the italian restraunt you will not be disapointed! The snack bar is really good as well a good variety again, even had onion rings!
The entertainment was a big disapointment, we had one night where there was a DJ on the beach instead we got the dance floor going by the bar it was so much fun we danced all night, if theres any suggestion i would say they should have the show then have DJ by the bar every night!
I never seen so many people enjoying the night as that one.
If you want extra water in your room just write a note to your maid saying agua gracias with a couple dollars and your fridge will have 2 to 4 waters every time!
The pool is great and J-Lo the activities co ordinator is alot of fun, the beach is one of the finest in Puerto Vallarta!
We have been to mexico about 10 times and this place is in our top 3! Enjoy!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
17  Thank KimT6822
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Best trip ever,the room was excellent,the staff was excellent the food was amazing ,the best bartendar is Erik Roberto in the hotel bar,the manager Jesus was everywhere to make sure everyone was happy and satisfied, I have never been to a hotel where the staff was that amazing,as for being safe, I would say it was very safe we walked around and into PV without any problem,we were there from Jan 27/2012 to Feb 4/2012 I would recomend this hotel to anyone .....newly renovated it is outstanding , the food was the best I have had at a resort !Oh do not miss the Whale watching it to was amazing !

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank Patricia H
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Booked through Virgin, because there are not any direct flights from the UK, we had an overnight stay in Los Angeles outbound and a overnight in San Francisco inbound. If we had realised what there was to see in these two cities we would have probably gone for two night stop overs in each city, there was so much to see on our limited time in each city. Worth considering.
The Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta-----WOW
What a great hotel this is, we were on the 5th floor, the room was very clean and tidy and of a decent size, plus a mega sized comfy bed, the bathroom too was good with a very large shower area. Everything worked. The refurbishment of the hotel has been done to very high standards. Where to start, very difficult. The staff were friendly and nothing ever was too much for them, the effort they put into making our holiday special was amazing. The food was of a very high standard with plenty of choice. The outside area is large so you have a choice of pool or beach, the beach was our choice, there are beach sellers but don't worry they are not a pest and a simple 'no thank you' works. I could go on and on singing the praises, better still just go and be amazed. We were.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Perek24
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Arrived at the resort on Jan 30th and are staying here until Feb 7th. This is a lengthy review but I want to be as accurate and honest as possible. Please note that the hotel is fairly newly renovated.
Also note that the typical room, unless you manage to have one on the main floor DO NOT HAVE BALCONIES. Typical room is approx 10 by 20 decorated in what looks like Ikea decor.
Alright. I am currently here at the resort as I write this review.
Rooms.... The decor is nice. The beds are good. The constant smell of sewage comes from the shower so we keep the door to the bathroom shut unless we are in the bathroom.
The resort is advertised with stocked in room fridge. When we arrived there was 1 beer, 2- 500ml bottled water, a can of orange pop and a can of coke. We have been here now for 5 days. They simply do not restoke the mini fridges. I have been to the front desk numerous times. They always smile when I ask for water and assure me it is on the way. It never shows. I find the secret is to call them every 15 minutes and harass the hell out of them until they are sick and tired of hearing my voice. They eventually will show up with one or two bottled water, if you are lucky.
Food.... At the buffet: Breakfast is excellent, a wide variety. Lunch is very sub par. Supper is very sub par. Tasteless, maybe 8 things to choose from. The meat we have had has been extremely tough. Chicken was edible. Pork is tasteless and very dry. Fruit and bread was good. At the Mexican Restaurant: Everything is very good. At the Italian Restaurant: not the best would give a 5/10. Seafood plate was definately the best
Night Restaurant.... They serve deep fried hotdogs, what we think are chicken nuggets and precooked hamburgers and cold fries. Noone speaks English at this restaurant so be prepared to order a hamburger and get served a hotdog..
Entertainment: Starts every night at 9PM. I think it would be alright but less than a dozen people show up for the shows so they are usually cut short or not as humerous if they had a larger crowd.
Beach/Pool... Both are nice. There are very few people staying in the resort while we are here so we have had no problem finding a spot near the pool or on the beach. Sunsets are very nice here.
Staff: Over all they are friendly. about 50% have some sort of understanding of a bit of English so communication is difficult but possible. They all have smiles on their face.
Drinks: If you order a drink ask for extra booze. As a rule they give you about 1/4 of an ounce of liquor with each drink. I ordered a baileys on ice. The bartender put 3 cubes in a cup and the baileys never even covered the ice.
Would I recommend this resort..... No. There are a few good things but overall it is a poor attempt at an all inclusive. I have travelled to Mexico many times and stayed all inclusive every time. This by far is the worst that I have experianced. In Canada, the travel agent sold it to us as a 4 to 4.5 star resort. So our expectations were such. In reality, this is barely a 3 star resort.

Room Tip: When you arrive ask for a balcony room. Only the first floor has balconies!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
21  Thank Lawrence E
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear Guest,

We welcome your feedback and the time you took to write a review on Trip Advisor. Let me begin by apologizing for not responding to you sooner.

I have carefully read your comments about the lack of water in the mini bar and I am very sorry to hear that you had that issue and the struggled to have the water delivered. I assure you that I have discussed it with the manager. In regards to the smell of sewage coming from the shower, we have thoroughly cleaned them to avoid this occurrence.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our Mexican restaurant, but I regret to hear that the rest of the food didn’t meet your expectations. I have shared your review with our Executive Chef, who has been making changes to the buffet, adding a pasta station, a paella station and new meat cuts, as well as new items at the Italian and Mexican restaurants. These changes have had great feedback from our guests.

Regarding your comment about the staff’s language skills, please know that they have all been selected and hired because they speak English. However, I have met with the manger about this as well, and we are making sure that they are maintaining instructive communication with the staff.

Be sure that all the points mentioned will be taken into consideration in order to benefit our future guests.