“Money Could Be Spent Better Elsewhere”

Taheima Wellness Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Santa Rosa, CA
“Money Could Be Spent Better Elsewhere”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My husband and I booked a package deal on Luxury Link which included a four night stay, some massages, welcome champagne, and a "special" dinner. We upgraded our room to include a plunge pool ($50 extra per night). First off, let me tell you the plunge pool was ice cold and is definitely NOT worth the money. Also, they are not private - others can see into your pool through the sparse planting in front of them and the slatted partitions between other patios, so if you are imagining a romantic, warm, skinny dippiing experience - forget about it.

The resort is very beautiful and the rooms themselves are nicely furnished with particularly attractive bathrooms. One thing that annoyed me was that they did not provide any bottled water in the rooms and when I called the front desk to ask if the tap water was okay to drink they told me no. I asked how one was supposed to brush their teeth, take a pill, etc., and they said I could buy water from the restaurant! Come on Taheima - people are arriving in a hot climate after a long journey, can't you at least provide a bottle of water in the room? This is a supposed four star resort and I find it inconvenient and unacceptable.

As others have pointed out, the resort is not on the beach, but the shuttle service is quite good and this did not pose a problem. While food is included at the beach restaurant, alcoholic drinks are not. (Margaritas about $4 bucks a piece as an example).

In general the food at the resort was above average but not amazing. The service was a bit slow, but the waiters were all very polite. We experienced a big glitch with our included private "special dinner". It was private all right - they put us in a private room (actually the cooking class room) and left us there for twenty minutes unattended. We finally got fed up, left and complained at the front desk. They eventually sent our dinner via room service.

I had two massages at the resort and they were very good. (Ask for Ramona). Prices are average, but after I had my first one they gave me a discount of 40% on all services, so it brought the price down to under $50 for a one hour massage.

Look, folks, I don't mean to give Taheima a totally bad rap - they just need to get the kinks out of a relatively new resort. Would I spend my money there again? No way. There are just too many resorts in the area which are better than Taheima in my opinion.

Incidentally, we followed up our stay at Taheima with a stay at Marival Residences and World Spa and that, my friends, is an undisputedly AMAZING resort with superlative service, incredible food and absolutely beautiful rooms and grounds. (see my review on Marival Residences).

Room Tip: Paying for an upgrade to the plunge pool is not worth it because it is ice cold and not private.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
San Mateo
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed at this resort for 5 days and 4 nights. This is my first time at the Puerto Vallerta area. I echoed all the good comments by others as well as agree on some improvements. Thumbs up on the actual rooms, the infinite pool, overall hotel decor, and food. I also enjoyed the "Beach Club" where Taheima residence has free shuttle running (During the time we were there, it was a taxi service, which was paid for by Taheima) or you can walk there (~15-20min walk, which we did also to help exercise the great "all you can eat" food we have been having at the resort). At the Beach Club, everything is also included, except for alcoholic drinks. At the Beach Club, you get to lay out right at the beach with a Taheima staff serving you.

I also got a massage by Elizabeth. Thanks Elizabeth for giving me a great massage! I got the Relief Massage... it felt great.

The cons: Wireless internet, service is a little slow at times, limited restaurant choice, and lack of 24-hr food service.

Definitely a great first time experience at a Wellness Resort. Definitely good, however has room to improve

Room Tip: If you like strong drinks, ask for double the amount. Mix drinks there are made pretty weak. Take...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Danny S
Mo/Ar
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We were only there for a short visit but are so looking forward to a return trip in a few months

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LindaNRudy
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here through the Living Social deal for 4 nights and 5 days. We booked the private shuttle FROM Taheima to take us from the airport to the resort. When we entered, we couldn't believe our eyes....

BEAUTIFUL, upscale resort with modern touches. The staff was EXTREMELY welcoming, and gave us two mimosa's upon entering! They were delicious, of course, and we were taken to our rooms. The entire resort is extremely beautiful, the infiniti pool will constantly be an eye-catcher, and the location behind El Tigre private golf club is lovely.

The rooms THEMSELVES...also fantastic. King size bed, crispy clean, air conditioned rooms, modern decor in the bathrooms with a glass-door shower, and a balcony overlooking the resort. We couldn't have asked for more. The staff was also very good with cleaning and making sure the room was kept up properly.

The food was ut of this world. Delicious for each meal -- my girlfriend and I couldn't stop saying we were shocked that this type of food was included in our deal! We always tipped each meal due to the fantastic food, and the waiters were ALWAYS great.

Poolside waiters were also great with taking food and drink orders while we seemingly did NOTHING and enjoyed our vacation! They were awesome with their drinks, and the food was terrific too.

My girlfriend and I WERE a SMIDGE skeptical going into this because of one or two reviews, but please trust us...this place is the real deal. One of the BEST, most relaxing vacations we've taken together.

Good work Taheima!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gags1892
Elmont, New York
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I went to the Taheima from March 17th through 24th. We had the absolute best time of our lives! First off the architecture is inspiring and allows for the winds to circulate throughout the whole resort. Everything is open and expansive, evening dining inside doesn’t feel disconnected from the outdoors. We got to know Everyone that works there and they got to know us! The food was excellent and the hospitality was genuine. The only thing I disliked was the horrible Wi-Fi signal, but they did have a business room to get things done if absolutely necessary. I had to take a test for school and they keep it open until midnight for us. The pools are beautiful and relaxing, and the spas were invigorating. We participated in Tezmacal, spirit walk, daily yoga sessions. The breakfast juice is amazing! Try the green juice; it has celery, cactus, kiwi, and much more. I actually lost weight rather than gain it while we were here! If you want to do activities you can...if you want to be lazy by the pool...you can! I can't begin to say how much we love this place! Also the culture is different and the pace is slower, so please leave your expectations of time and preconceptions at home. If you can't do that, then YOU need to stay at home.

Thank you Daniel-Chef for cooking the fish we caught on our expedition. Carlos, Fransisco, Victor, Fernando, Fidel, our receptionist, our wonderful maids, and everyone we didn't name. We love you guys and will be back to see you soon!

Mekesha and Ramon Woodcock!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple