All reviewsparadise villageunitpoolsresortvrbocondominiumtigrecanadianpvcanada
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My husband and I went to the Taheima from March 17th through 24th. We had the absolute best time of our lives! First off the architecture is inspiring and allows for the winds to circulate throughout the whole resort. Everything is open and expansive, evening dining inside doesn’t feel disconnected from the outdoors. We got to know Everyone that works there and they got to know us! The food was excellent and the hospitality was genuine. The only thing I disliked was the horrible Wi-Fi signal, but they did have a business room to get things done if absolutely necessary. I had to take a test for school and they keep it open until midnight for us. The pools are beautiful and relaxing, and the spas were invigorating. We participated in Tezmacal, spirit walk, daily yoga sessions. The breakfast juice is amazing! Try the green juice; it has celery, cactus, kiwi, and much more. I actually lost weight rather than gain it while we were here! If you want to do activities you can...if you want to be lazy by the pool...you can! I can't begin to say how much we love this place! Also the culture is different and the pace is slower, so please leave your expectations of time and preconceptions at home. If you can't do that, then YOU need to stay at home.

Thank you Daniel-Chef for cooking the fish we caught on our expedition. Carlos, Fransisco, Victor, Fernando, Fidel, our receptionist, our wonderful maids, and everyone we didn't name. We love you guys and will be back to see you soon!

Mekesha and Ramon Woodcock!

3  Thank Mekesha P
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I experienced a similar problem of theft, as did AlexManny in a post down below.

I bought a Living Social deal for an all-inclusive 5 day, 4 night stay at the beginning of March, 2012. I can echo what other reviewers have said: the facilities were really beautiful, but the food service was slow. We had several vegetarians in our group, and the waiters or chefs could not understand the concept of vegetarianism and ended up serving us meat on several occasions; at one point, there was ground up meat in the ragu sauce (hard to tell), and one of my friends, who'd never eaten beef in her life, ended up ingesting it all.

What really tainted my experience, however, was that I left the resort without my iPhone (with all of my pictures from my trip on it). I left it charging in the bedroom one day, forgetting to lock it up in the safe (where I'd kept my wallet, laptop, camera). The one day I leave my phone out, it's gone when I check for it at night. The staff insisted that the only person who accessed the room that day was the maid, but they'd never had problems with her in the years that she's worked there and would feel awkward confronting her about it. At first, they sent over a couple hotel representatives to help me search the room, in case I'd left it somewhere absent-mindedly. We turned over the entire room, and it was nowhere to be found. They filed a report, had a meeting with the managers, but were ultimately unable to make additional efforts to track down my phone. The way they handled the situation made ME feel like the guilty party, in having the audacity to accuse a Taheima worker of theft.

My friends and I wondered how Taheima was making any money off of us by offering such a great all-inclusive package deal at such a low price. My 5-day stay cost less than my iPhone. I guess that's how they make up for the low prices.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank sese z
Reviewed 21 March 2012

First off, this is a newer property, built in 2010, so still is being worked on and not complete. It seems they are also working out some of the kinks. Pros: very nice grounds, very quiet and peaceful (no loud music blaring here), pools were large and not crowded, nice spa services, friendly, attentive service, nice rooms, shuttle bus to beach, gym, free yoga classes, free internet. Cons: Service can be very slow, wifi was unreliable, pool service wasn't great (forgotten drink orders, very slow to get things, ran out of towels on several days), not a lot of variety with dining (only 1 restaurant and lunch and breakfast menus didn't change daily dinner did, but limited menu), no bottled water or any beverages in the room.

It feels like this could be a great place to stay, but they aren't quite there yet. Also we paid for the all inclusive fee, and I would say if you drink more than water and like to have an appetizer and/or dessert with your meal its probably worth it. Otherwise based on the prices we saw on the menus you'll end up paying more unless you are eating most of your meals in the room with groceries you buy at the local store. To give an idea, an iced tea is 55 pesos (approx 5.50 usd, breakfast was 180 pesos pp (or about 18 usd pp), a club sandwich on the lunch menu was about 12.00 usd, cocktails were about 7 - 9 dollars. I personally think these prices were way inflated (c'mon a 12 dollar club sandwich?!) my guess is because less people who pay the 80 usd per person per day for the all inclusive will complain when they realize how quickly that would add up if they were eating three meals a day at the restaurant and having drinks by the pool. Overall we had some quibbles but did enjoy the peace and quiet and not feeling like we were in the midst of a crowd all the time which we've felt at other resorts. You just have to decide if the couple of cons are out weighed by the good points or not.

2  Thank John V
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The Taheima was a pleasant surprise. The resort itself was gorgeous. It looks exactly the same if not better in person than it does on the website. Our room was spacious and luxurious, however the view of the golf course from our patio with private pool was not so appealing and would have liked it better if it were heated. We would recommend they add shrubbery or drapes like they had on the cabanas to make the private pools facing the golf course more private. This was also a sentiment we heard from other guest facing the course as they felt golfers could look right into our rooms. The restaurants were all located within the same area. Overall the food was great. It was fresh and there was a a good selection. (The breakfast buffet was probably the best).

All-inclusive includes exactly what they say it does within the resort. It covers both food and drinks (non-alcoholic and alcoholic). At the beach club outside of the resort it only covers food and drinks. You have to purchase your own alcoholic beverages at the beach. We felt they did a great job explaining this to us at check in.

If you want stiffer drinks we would suggest buying your own alcohol. It really varied with who was making them. Some drinks were really good and some not so much.

Nuevo Vallarta vs. Puerto Vallarta. This resort is located about a 45-minute taxi ride outside of downtown Puerto Vallarta, which is where the majority of the nightlight and shopping that some tourist might want (i.e., like we did!). They did not do a great job of explaining this. Nor did they provide any shuttle services to Puerto Vallarta.

Back to the resort…. the service was good. Towards the end of our stay, the maid service seemed to slack a little. We had to request our room to be cleaned, and new towels on our last day. Poolside service is hard to find, as there is only one staff member that primarily stays in the family pool area. Also note the difference in the pools. The “family pool” is heated and the “adult only pool” is ozone regulated (Which means Not Heated, lol).

It was somewhat frustrating the layout of the resort. Walking back and forth towards your room requires you to walk all around the both pool areas. This may seem like a random critique but on several occasions we would joke with other guests about the long walk to get from our rooms to the lobby, bar and restaurants.

The wireless was spotty. Though it was free, I would have paid for better wireless.

The attendant booking excursions was very pleasant and did not hound us into purchasing anything we didn’t want. She offered her suggestions and then let us decide. We booked the Canopy River Tour (Zip line) and Rhythms of the Night. They were both awesome and we appreciated her arranging our taxi transportation to and from the pick up locations.

The Spa is hidden on the third floor among other guest rooms. We are guessing this is temporary though not what you would expect from a “Health and Wellness Resort”. Our massages and facials were relaxing and the staff was professional.

For our fellow GLBT community, the resort and PV in general are accepting and we did not feel uncomfortable as a gay couple. The “Gayborhood” is located deep in downtown PV. Most taxi drivers did not know the names of the bars and clubs we wanted however, they knew the location as the “Gay area.”

Overall experience at the resort was relaxing and fun! Would definitely recommend it .

1  Thank David H
Reviewed 18 March 2012

EXTENSIVE REVIEW: We stayed 7 nights all-inclusive at this property in Feb 2012, my husband and I with our 22 month old son. The grounds are beautiful, the heated (kids) pool is fantastic, dinner is excellent food. However, I would never return here.

There were check-in issues; even with a printed copy of our confirmed reservation sent to us by Taheima itself they couldn't find it. They don't communicate with you as you are standing in front of them at the desk; only after I asked if there was a problem as it was taking forever did she say she couldn't find our reservation. Eventually, they found it, not sure why it proved so difficult.

On day two we returned to our room after the cleaning had been done in the afternoon to find a a piece of our property had been stolen. My husband had a silver chain with a Mayan Calendar medallion - it was in a dark mesh zip bag on the bathroom shelf. The only conclusion is that the cleaning staff took it. We put our passports, electronic devices and valuable gold in the safe; the $100 necklace we left zipped in the toiletry bag in the bathroom never thinking they would steal it, our bad.
We went to the front desk immediately, the girl opened the drawer before we even finished our sentence to pull out paper and pen as though this was no news to her and it was instant reflex to reach for the paper so we could write a report. We said, we don't care what happened, but if someone admits to having it we'd just like it back, no questions asked. We wrote the report and were advised management would contact us in the morning.

By noon the next day no one had contacted us, so went back to front desk. All mgmt was in a meeting; the meeting time had elapsed and they should be here any minute, we waited an hour and then left. No one contacted us that day at all. Perhaps we weren't in our room to accept the call, but no one came to the one and only pool (there are two but only 1 is heated, so no one is ever at the adult cold pool, at least not for the duration of our stay) to look for us or to the one and only restaurant. (there is only one restaurant choice for each meal time, though there are 2 restaurants).

Another day goes by and we again consult with front desk staff who seemed surprised to hear the housekeeping manager Fidel or the GM Daniel had not contacted us yet. The front desk supervisor informs us they spoke to the maid who cleaned our room who denies it (obviously) and reviewed the computer to see who swiped their card to enter our room without our presence and there was no one other than the maid and us. She assures us that mgmt will contact us.

In the meantime we carry on trying to enjoy our trip. We asked for a change in maid staff. At breakfast on day 3, my son, 22mos old was eating the black beans that accompany the breakfast burrito (great burrito and avocado sauce) and I hear him crunching loudly, strange for beans, so I look in his mouth and he spits out a stone the size of my pinky nail. We call the waiter (Francisco) and he replaces the beans. As he brings us the new beans he chuckles about the stones and that it is impossible we'd find more...before touching them, I stir them up a bit and sure enough another stone. He takes them away again and we say we'll pass on the beans for today, I actually have the impression he just brought the same beans back, but who knows. Oscar, who is a kind soul and fabulous waiter apologizes on the chef's behalf.

On day 4 since the theft, my husband observes a man in the restaurant at breakfast who seems to be supervising, checking things out; he approaches him to see if he might be management. Indeed, it was the general manager, Daniel. As my husband starts to speak he stops him to say they know all about the stones and the theft and there is nothing he could do because the maid says she didn't take it. End of story. My husband explains he understands this and asks what he, as the general manager, intends to do as compensation for our misfortune at the hands of his hotel...the manager says, "Nothing, what do you want from us?" My husband, suggests that a gesture of anything would be nice to show he was sorry for what happened to try to make us feel better about our stay there..."perhaps a massage for me and my wife. "The manager, without much hesitation says, ''sure, fine, I'll give you a massage, go to the front desk when you want it and there will be a note ready for you from me.' We were still very upset about the theft and didn't really expect anyone would fess up, but the manager's attitude was cold, uncaring and matter of fact. He didn't apologize or express his displeasure for what had happened to us. But we were glad he agreed to a couple of free massages.

Later that day my husband excitedly heads for his massage as I watch our son. He is anticipating the 50 minute full body massage. He returns after barely 30 mins to tell me that after they massaged his feet (he thought it was odd they started with his feet) it was over, the "Free massage" was a $30 foot reflexology. My husband tipped the ladies and I went up for my turn. We thought, sheesh, could Daniel not have splurged for a real, body massage. Good grief. The Spa is actually one of the resort rooms, not a separate building. That means you hear the goings on outside the room. Not a great spa space, but they did make good effort.

The service everywhere is terrible. We have traveled Mexico before and expect this, but at this resort with all they hype themselves up to be, it is exceptionally bad. Everything is verrrry slow. Making it slower still is having to sign off on every single thing you order, (even under the all-inclusive plan) a bottle of water, fruit plate, after each meal, everything...

There is one restaurant choice for breakfast and the choices and food is good (except for the rocks!)

For lunch there is a different menu in the same restaurant as breakfast; lunch options get boring fast after 7 days. Lots of ceviche, a couple of sandwiches, burgers, no salad options besides the little you get with your meal, which comes undressed. This same lunch menu is all you are offered all day long at the pool until 6pm ish - it gets old fast. There is no bar at the pool, just a waiter who takes your order. Sounds lovely to sit at the pool and be served food and drink, but the novelty is short lived as it took an hour or more to get our food and/or drinks. By day 2-3 we started ordering 2 or 3 drinks at a time because we knew it would be an hour before we saw the waiter again. There is no way no beckon the waiter. Food often arrived cold as it took so long. Then you need to wait/find him to sign your bill...

Many times different things weren't available, particularly lunch and aftn; if you wanted fruit in the aftn it was unavailable as they only serve it in the morning. If you want guacamole, its not available, no avocados. (Really? In Mexico?) If you ask for chicken added to your quesadilla, they will likely bring it to you without chicken and have some weird kitchen excuse.

We were always on the hunt for towels at the pool. Never enough (even though there fewer than 12 people at the pool at any given time). There is no one to call...you have to wait to bump into the pool waiter and he would call for towels and 45 mins later they would arrive.

Dinner was the best part. The dinner restaurant is very nice. The options were great and always varied, the food quality and presentation were excellent. Jesus and Oscar were the best waiters we had during our stay...going the extra mile.

Rooms are great, clean, well-decorated and spacious. We were told there are no tubs in any rooms, anywhere on the property (we asked as it would have been easier for our son instead of slipping around in the shower with us). We later found this to be false as we spoke to a timeshare owner.

This resort is not on the beach but they shuttle you there and that all worked out just fine. Beware of the beach club food and restrooms - they are not high quality and someone got sick from the food during our week there.

The general vibe at this place was not fantastic, everyone complained about the service, the lack of lunch/daytime food options and the boredom with only one restaurant to choose from at each meal.

Not good for kids, the kids club was non-existent; there is a schedule of events and a kids room but there is no staff there; thus no events, because there is hardly anyone at this resort! Food options for kids is scarce. One high chair on the entire property.

The resort was dead, there might have been 10 couples/families for the week we were there. it is a great, quiet relaxing place, which is what we were after, but it felt desolate, like something wasn't quite right...why weren't people coming here. We met most people there on Living Social or other vouchers like us. It seems this place is begging for patronage offering great deals to try to get people here as rumor has it the owner is having financial difficulties and people aren't streaming here. If they make a few good solid tweaks this place would be fabulous.

All reviews are relative, so take what you will; but this was our honest experience here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family