All reviews paradise village unit pools resort vrbo condominium tigre canadian pv canada
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This resort was small, but the room was hugh and beautifully appointed with a full-kitchen. The service was excellent and the food was great for a Mexican resort. It was all inclusive (drinks and food), but the food had to be ordered a-la-carte, so the quality was better than the typical buffet. The resort has free Wi-Fi, and we had a great time eating, drinking and playing with our iPhones and iPads poolside. The two infinity pools were beautiful. However, because the resort was small, there was not a lot of activities... and it was not beachfront.

We joined 2 tours to go snorkelling at Calentas and Les Arcos, and saw lots of beautiful fishes. We also went to the Tatewari spa (as per Trip Advisor's recommendation) twice.

Overall, it was a good, restful trip. I think it would be a boring resort for kids, but suited us well when all we wanted was some rest and sun.

Date of stay: October 2011
6  Thank Sunny1329
Reviewed 14 October 2011

After reading all of the other post, I felt the need to post about my experience in Tahima. I am taking notes as I go along and posting this after check out. Do I start with positive or negative?

Okay, positives, very pretty pools, love the orange wall by the pool, huge 2 room suite with kitchen, nice balcony overlooking the pool and even a washing machine and two bathrooms. Food was very good. Very gourmet and service in the restaurant was very friendly and attentive. Staff are all very professional, friendly and remember who you are. In general, the reaction time to all of our problems was very fast and friendly, however, we did have quite a few problems, mostly on the first day.

The “resort” is not what I would consider a “resort.” It’s rather small. I’m sure its because its down season but there are very few classes going on, so all there is to do is sit at the pool for the most part, maybe use the spa, quite boring unless you like to just sit at the pool all day. I have been to other all inclusive “Spa” vacations in the US and they are $300-$500 a night. If they had their full schedule of activites at Taheima with meditation, yoga, cooking, crafts etc every day, then it would be comparable. This time of year there are just a couple classes a day. There is no nighlife or evening seminars like Ive experiences at other wellness resorts, so don’t expect this to be a partying resort.

We were not picked up at the airport, although they did send an email saying the van had broken down and to take a cab……got the email after we arrived at the resort. Elena was very nice at check in and apologized and told us they’d bring us back to the airport on the way back, which they did. I wasn’t too surprised since I had read this in the reviews. It was confusing at the airport. The time share sales people were really convincing, saying that they are part of your resort and helping with your transportation. Do not stop when someone tells you that they are part of Taheima or helping with your transportation. Even the men with the “Taheima” shirts on didn’t know anything. Walk through the room that says “Puerta Vallarta” on the wall and do not stop with the men who say they will help you. Once you exit that room there will be someone with a sign with your name to take you to the hotel (assuming he’s there.)

After checking in, our first room had an AC leak and there was a huge puddle. We called and were quickly moved to another room, however, our fruit plate, bottled water and room service menu were not moved. After an hour the AC in the second room leaked. Engineering came quickly and fixed it. We later asked for more bottled water and got it quickly, but we didn’t get a room service menu after asking 5 different time, until day 3. Speaking of room service, we were trying to nap after being up since 3am for our flight on our arrival day. Room service called and knocked 4 times and woke us up, to deliver our room service….that we did NOT order. The suite was very nicely air conditioned, BUT we could not turn off the celing fans and no one we asked knew how to. Finally an engineer brought a remote, that had not been in the room, and shut it off. Loved the beds and duvets, very comfortable, however, housekeeping was very noisy outside our room early in the morning.

There was not a “Do not disturb sign” so fearful of being woken up at any given time. TV was only in one bedroom and in the living area, which was fine with us. Bring movies if you want to use the DVR. Internet was sporadic in the room. There is definitely a language barrier in some cases, but in most cases we were able to figure it out, but it does make requests difficult with housekeeping especially.

We got the eversave deal so for less than $100 a night including food and drink, it was a very quiet relaxing 6 days, but had we paid more we would have been disappointed in the options for activity and all of the minor problems we had. We didn’t expect a “Sandals” but really this time of year there was practically nothing to do except sit at the pool and maybe 2-3 classes a day, yoga in the am, a dance, craft, and/or cooking class. Unfortunately it rained most of our stay so we were rather bored. With an impending hurricaine, we received a notice that we were not allowed to use the pool after our first full day. It drizzled all day, actually better weather than the previous day, it did not seem necessary to close the pool that day, our only form of entertainment. They had piled up all the lounge chairs so they wouldn’t blow around, so we thought maybe they just didn’t want to have to clean up afger us. Again, the service and reaction time were fabulous, professional and friendly, but we should not have had to call quite so many times with little problems. Again, most of the problems were on our first day, however. It was unfortunate that it rained for our entire trip after our first full day and we were not allowed to use the pool, so we were very bored. The hurriciane never came, it mostly just drizzled other than a downpour at night.

We did have our “orientation” the first morning through breakfast and then a tour, took about 2 hours. Mario was very nice, informative and did not pressure us. He kept saying it was not a time share presentation, and spent the majority of the time truly giving us a tour, getting to know us, asking about our vacations in the past and suggesting activities. At the end he sat down and gave us pricing to buy/rent, for as little as one week a year even. His boss then came over to give us even better options. It was not high pressure at all. They asked “why not?” but were very nice about it and we did not feel uncomfortable. It might be a good option for some people but not what we are looking for being that I am single and my friend is married and her husband is at home, and she already has a time share. I wouldn’t fear this “orientation” however, it was a time share presentation. We even bumped into the time share sales people a few times during our visit and they were always very friendly.

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
13  Thank injeanious
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We just returned from Taheima after purchasing a deal through Eversave. Anytime I consider a deal like this, I wonder if it's too good to be true. There were some issues & inconsistencies that prevent me from rating Taheima higher, but I do think there is a lot of potential.

The booking experience was easy. I had read some posts from folks who had difficulties, but this was not a problem for us. Several folks referenced a company called Sunmex, but the website in the footer of our agent said www.mexicotravelcompany.com. She was very responsive (responded to emails same or next business day).

The first problem we encountered was that we were not picked up at the airport as had been arranged. The explanation was that the resort had received the wrong flight information, so they tried to pick us up at the time we were arriving at our connecting airport. This seemed reasonable enough and they offered to cover our return transportation instead. To this, I would recommend they get a schedule of flights into PVR so that they can double check the flight info they receive from the 3rd party.

A bit more on the transportation issue - after some time at the resort, we met several other couples, only 2 of them were actually picked up. Seemed a bit odd to me. If I were the management, I would review the # of times this occurs to figure out where the communication is falling through the cracks and how to prevent the missed pickups.

If you do end up paying for your cab ride, make arrangements to have them cover your return trip instead. They can and will - don't let them off the hook if one way transport is part of your package.

When coming out from baggage claim, ignore all of the people in the airport who say they are with Taheima. The timeshare guy showed us the sign he was bringing to the airport and it said the names of the people he was picking up (may only have the name of the person who made the arrangements). Everyone else is just trying to sell you something. Walk out of bag claim, through the first (larger) room, through the second (smaller) room and keep going until you see the sliding doors to the outside. The person picking you up will be in that area with an easy to read sign with your name.

When we arrived at Taheima, I requested a room with a safe (which I had previously inquired about). The front desk clerk nodded and said yes, but when we got to our room, there was no safe to be found. We were able to change rooms without too much delay.

NOTE: I believe that our first room was 2201A. For any rooms at this part of the building (2101A, 2301A), you're likely to get a dump/construction material view. There was a tiny balcony overlooking the atrium though.

The rooms were quite nice, roomy and clean. Both rooms had a 4-5 piece main bath (2 sinks, shower, toilet, and one had a tub). Both also had a powder room or bathroom with a shower. The rooms had a kitchenette with a small frig and two burner stove. There was a living/dining room area with a flat screen TV.

The first floor rooms appeared to all have individual pools, which we often saw the staff cleaning, so it was good to know that they were attentive to the cleanliness. If we were to return, we would love to try out one of those!

Dining was overall a very good experience, especially for an all-inclusive. We enjoyed all of the meals we had. For each meal, 2-3 appetizer or salad options were available, along with 2-3 entrees. The salads were wonderful and beautifully prepared. The entrees seemed to be prepared in a healthy way - nothing fried. Probably the least healthy dinner I had was the stuffed poblano pepper (stuffed with a cheesy oniony mixture - drooool). Each night there was a seafood offering (mahi mahi, shrimp, or snapper) and also some form of steak. What I really appreciated is that the portions were just right - not too big.

Breakfast was also good. I had an omelette one morning and the veggie breakfast burrito a couple of times. It had scrambled eggs with zucchini, spinach, and mushrooms (I had the mushrooms left out). The veggies seemed very fresh and were not cooked to a mush. The flour tortilla was excellent and the burrito was served a creamy avocado sauce that was delectable! I did ask for bacon three times and never received it. I decided it was best I didn't have the bacon though. =)

The only thing I found odd about breakfast was that the orange juice came in various hues, often on the same tray. The first morning, our OJ was very light - it tasted watered down and as if there was artificial sweetener added. The second morning, the OJ was a bright orange and tasted fresh squeezed. We ordered a second one that day and it was a lighter orange with a watered down taste again, but this time, it didn't seem like it had sweetener added.

Art - I really liked the decor of the lobby and the main restaurant. It was simple, yet modern. The one thing I loved the most - strangely enough - was the simple, beautiful, artistic, cheerful orange wall next to the pool. It captured lighting, contrasted with surrounding colors. Every time I walked by it, I thought about what a perfect choice of color it was for the wall.

Timeshare presentation - it was low pressure and they didn't seem to have a problem taking no for an answer. Our salesperson, Will, was very friendly and accommodating. He answered all of our questions about the area and when he didn't know an answer, he always found out for us. In addition, he went above and beyond to always address any concerns that we had (the airport transport, the keycard that you'll read about later, etc.)

Tipping - We heard through some of the other visitors that the staff do not get the tips we were leaving on the bill itself, only when they received them in cash. We ran out of pesos the last day of our trip, so we ended giving them US$. The staff were very gracious and even told us we didn't need to tip them. However, we understand that tips are part of their livelihood and a means to encourage/reward good service.

Language barrier - Many of the things we asked for, we never received or had to ask multiple times. They seem to nod in agreement, but perhaps have no idea what you are asking for. It helped out when we looked up the translation of the word we were wanting to use. I didn't think about this until later in the trip. Overall, the staff were very friendly and attitude makes all the difference in the world. Bottom line - it's a different country, so don't expect English to the be their first language. A little effort on our part can to make their jobs easier as well as facilitate getting what we're requesting.

Deadbolt your door. We somehow got keys that were able to open any door. We mixed up the keys to our new room and old room while changing and found that all four of them worked on the new room. Then, my BF accidentally went into the room on the 2nd floor directly under our room by accident one night. Luckily no one was there to startle, but he realized it was not our room when he saw a carpet under the coffee table and scooted out of there. Oops! We showed this to one of the staff (tried on 2 other doors also luckily with no one there to frighten), who promptly turned the keys in and made note with the front desk staff.

Activities
The pool was wonderful and not a bit crowded. The water temperature was a little warmer than what I like, but it was still cool enough that we could jump in from the 90+ air temp to cool off.

We took the shuttle over to Paradise Village twice to use the beach. Both times, it was deserted - low season. There were only about 5 palapas occupied on the stretch of beach in front of Paradise Village. The pool was nicely cool and seemed very clean.

Unfortunately, we were not able to take any of the classes because they told us tai chi is not offered during low season. We tried going to yoga, but it was cancelled (with no sign and no notification to the front desk staff). We were very disappointed because we were hoping this would be part of the "wellness" experience.

Other comments:
-elevators were not working in building 2
-wifi is free, but mainly limited to the lobby. Limited signal at the restaurant, bar, and pool
-it's a bit of a walk from the lobby to any of the rooms. the only short cut is through a corridor marked for authorized personnel (for room service, pool bar service staff, etc). This is a wellness resort though... =)

Overall, a good experience. We do see room for improvement, but Taheima definitely has potential to be a great place.

Room tip: 1st floor rooms have a private pool
Date of stay: September 2011
5  Thank watergirlee
Reviewed 29 September 2011

If you want a nice, quiet and relaxing resort, with excellent food and outstanding service....then Taheima Wellness Resort & Spa is the place to go. My husband and I spent 4 nights there this month and had a great experience. I loved the Salsa and Zumba classes.....what a workout!!! LOL My absolute favorite part of our vacation was meeting and talking to the employees. We did attend their presentation with absolutely no pressure at all. The gentleman that showed us the property, Mario, was such a pleasure. He was so informative and helpful during our stay. We hope to see Mario again someday soon.....and enjoy another great stay at your beautiful resort.

Date of stay: September 2011
4  Thank difuller
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at Taheima (our first time in PV) for 6 days and it was truly a wonderful experience. I have to admit, it did catch me off guard a little, just b/c it is very different than the resorts I'm used to, but as days went by, I loved Taheima day by day. Yes, this resort is NOT on the beach and it's not your typical tropical resort, but it has a lot more to it than that. It's a wellness center. Granted, I did not get to take advantage of their activities- such as yoga, meditation classes, etc, but I did love the infinity pool. I also loved having our own private pool attached to our room. I loved the decor of the place, everything being very "Zen."
The food was very good as well. Normally I don't like foods at all inc. resorts, but Taheima had very good breakfast, lunch and dinner (dinner being my favorite). I didn't know this but there's actually only one restaurant for dinner and I'd recommend taking dress clothes, b/c it's a snazzy place and most people dressed up for dinner (surprisingly).
I also liked the fact that no one pressured or asked us to do the presentation there. Staff was also very attentive and friendly (the poolside service can be slow, but it didn't really bother me much b/c my goal wasn't to drink up by the pool).
I also loved the fact that there wasn't very many kids (the resort itself was very slow during this time of the year). This was nice, b/c I don't have to worry about kids screaming or splashing all over the place when I'm at the pool or at the resort.
I also enjoyed the spa very much. We did the couple's massage and it was very relaxing and exactly what we needed- time for true "wellness."
However, I would not recommend this hotel to everyone. If you want some tranquility and peacefulness and heal your true inner self, then Taheima is just the place for you. If you want a typical resort on the beach with constant action and people to mingle with, I'd recommend staying elsewhere.
Overall, I enjoyed every second of my time at Taheima and our experience in Nuevo Vallarta was very pleasant.

Room tip: First floor, you'll love your private infinity pool
Date of stay: August 2011