“The most tranquil vacation ever!”

Taheima Wellness Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We booked this vacation on an auction website, with glowing reviews, and we were exremely satisfied with our stay. This property is not on the beach, however they have everything else and more. The food was the best we've ever had in an all-inclusive stay, very fresh, healthy and uniquely creative. I loved the classes that were offered, and partook in many of them, from yoga, salsa dance to meditation. The oversized infinity pools were clean, we appreciated the adults only pool, and the beds pool side were very comfortable. What we enjoyed most was the service. Because it is a boutique property, we felt very comfortable and the employees remembered our names and our ususal drinks. On our last night the chef came to meet us personaly and created some delicious dishes that were not on the menu just for us.
The only fault, which we were not affected by, is the beach area that the guests can visit. We will definately be staying at this property again.

Room Tip: There are rooms with private pools, however the main pools are so large and clean, I felt no need to...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank NayaritNelly
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

I check out last friday and that was sad to leave the place because we felt like home there. We arrived by car we took no more than 10 minutes to get in the room, that was fast. This was our vacation as follows:

Room
The more important thing nice and clean, got a room on the floor with pool how was it great ? My kid and I enjoy it a lot.

Nice buffets, MORNING scrambled eggs, fried eggs on a piece of toast bread, many options of fruit, yogurt and the best prune ever eat and one day they serve tongue in a green sauce what so good. Note: I didn´t like the chilaquiles. LUNCH the lunch part was every day in the beach club shrimp and fish ceviche, jam and chicken sandwiches I like both. NIGHT again buffet specially like the Italian one, enjoy lasagna took extra portion mmm.... ROOM SERVICE We request room service and bring our meals without hesitation. Try club sandwich and burger. From a 0 to 10 range ´I will rate with a 9 based on the price and the attention. PA. Appreciate the "chiles toreados"

Beach
Very good beach club on Playa Royale, in the beginning I felt strange because I always book a beach front resort but get in the role once we arrived to the beach. Sorry for the couple that mention in a recent review about the problems they had and nobody pick them at the beach club, that´s not

Pool
We only swim at the heated pool, a beautiful one by the way, apropiate for the kids and us. You can ask for food and drinks right beside the pool.

The night bar
Watched a couple of Mexico soccer games with Margaritas and Vampiros well served by the tenders. Hint. You can bring an extra drink to the room.

In general, excellent vacations, great place, great staff thanks to the waiters by the pool and restaurant, to Fidel and the bell boys Juan and Omar for take us to the beach every time. Feel wave out about the comments about certain bad treatment to other guests and this must be for sure be corrected.

Thanks taheima, we had a great time there hope go back asap.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank erik a
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Service was impeccable, we had our own butler for crying out loud !! His name's Fidel, look to him for anything you may need. Thanks Fidel! :) The rooms were surprisingly spacious, and the decor elegant, white and beige tones really do have a soothing effect. Rooms were nicely chilled, had my own private pool! Not to mention the lagoon and pool complex we would use during the day. We chose Taheima because my husband enjoys golf, and this is a challenging course, but I must say discovering yoga for the first time was definitely worth while. I ended up doing a Hatha session every day! The restaurant was nicely decorated as well, the food was delicious.. ever hear of Strawberry tuna ceviche?? Ridiculously decadent, and low cal apparently !!!!
The most enjoyable aspect of my stay was the private pool, but also the service (especially my kind yoga teacher). The Temazcal experience is definitely an experience i recommend to anyone, just be mindful of your own personal limits, as this can get very intense.
The distance from the beach was a small issue but when we realized the shuttle service only took a couple minutes to reach the beach our only concern quickly vanished.
I feel replenished! Apparently my husband still needs to work on his golf game (sorry honey).
All in all we had a good experience, and Puerto Vallarta is a great town if you enjoy eating out.
We stayed during the first week of July 2011.
Katy xx

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank JohnSchlem
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Well the title just about wraps it up... our stay at Taheima could have been absolutely wonderful, but it just seemed like at each and every step there was something lacking that prevented things from being pushed over the edge to "awesome"

First things first, as some other reviewers have mentioned, I booked this as a trip with my wife through a site advertising a great deal, purchased an additional 2 nights at a discounted price, and was roped into a "presentation". I posted more info on that in the forums, so if you're interested or curious, check it out. I'll try to keep this centered on the review of the grounds. I will say though that although we turned down the offer to rent or purchase with the property, we weren't really treated any differently afterwards. That's not saying a lot though, because like everything else at Taheima, the service was either really great or just lacking and leaving a lot to be desired.

We did not get a ground floor room; we were on the 3rd floor which was weird considering that the resort was pretty much empty since this is PV's tourism off-season. Our room was nice and spacious though, so no complaints with that. The drawers and closets did have this old musty smell to them, which might have something to do with the amount of humidity that generates in the rooms when they aren't centrally controlled by A/C, but again, more pluses and minuses. Spacious shower, nice bathroom with 2 sinks, and set up like a suite with a living room area.

The service at the resort was again, good at times, great at times, and blah at times. I will have to echo what the previous reviewer mentioned that the concierge Fidel Castro that some of these previous reviews alluded to was very nice and helpful at times, but during our 6 day / 5 night stay we saw him maybe 2 or 3 times. Pool service was absolutely terrible... both pools were open and there was one waiter / bartender guy that would walk back and forth maybe once every few hours, but we were never looked at or asked if we needed help or if we wanted any drinks or anything, and we weren't the only guests neglected. They have 2 pools, one marked for kids and one marked as an "adult" pool, but this was not at all enforced since kids occupied both pools at will. Not necessarily an issue but if you have a pool marked "adults only", maybe it should only be for adults. Also, the pool hours ran till 8 p.m., but this wasn't enforced either, which was actually pretty cool since the pools looked really awesome at night.

The resort is not close to any of the main beaches in Puerto Vallarta, since the resort sits contained in a resort "complex" that is guarded and maintained by security. Within this complex are several other resorts and one of the locations for Vallarta Adventures, so you have pretty easy access. The shuttle did not provide service to Vallarta Adventures though, or to anywhere downtown for that matter, so if you wish to not be restricted to the resort (we wanted to see and experience the town, not be locked down on the resort or within the resort complex for 6 days), you have to pony up cab fare. Cabs were always available though, we never had to wait more than 5 minutes.

The restaurant provided good meals at times and so-so meals at others. Generally, everything that I ate, I enjoyed, but there were some questionable items on the menu. The service at the restaurant was AWESOME (save 1 night for dinner when I had to request menus and drinks after being seated and having to wait 10 minutes), and the waiters were really helpful and willing to help us practice our terrible Spanish. Our trip save deal included all inclusive meals and drinks, so we really took advantage (and were encouraged to do so), ordering both off of the menu and utilizing the buffet that was always available. We also ate downtown several times, but having the restaurant there always gave us something to fall back on. We only provided tips, which I was happy to do since the food service was so helpful.

We only took one of their offered classes (since our trip was packed with tons of other planned activities), but it was really fun. It was their salsa class. The instructor took time to help out each couple and explained things in both English and Spanish for us, so we had no issues. It could have been a little longer, but classes and activities were scheduled and packed into each day by the resort, so I don't really have an issue with the fact that they had a schedule they had to stick to.

All in all, it just seems like Taheima had so much to offer that COULD have been great, but just wasn't quite up to speed and shape. It seems like it could have a bunch of potential, and may be better in their busy season (although if you neglect guests at times in your off season, how do you expect to handle everyone's requests and needs in the busier times?), but I guess that will be for someone else to figure out. If we return to PV, it will likely be to another resort located closer to the actual beaches in the area, not stuck on a resort located within this resort complex. We really enjoyed a lot of aspects of our stay here, but always will leave with a feeling of how awesome and great things could have been if they would have just ironed out some aspects of their resort, their service, and their overall value.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank dragonOL2
Reviewed 16 August 2011

It's crazy that my stay at Taheima over two months ago can still bring up such frustration. My mother had purchased us a 3 night all-inclusive stay at this property, as a gift for our anniversary. So we booked our flights and an extra night at the hotel on expedia to make it a longer weekend. What none of us knew, until we got to the resort, was that this package had included a "presentation." The day before we left, somebody from SunMex Travel, had called to ask our flight details. This is not standard procedure, so I asked if this was a timeshare thing, and the agent assured me that I was not old enough for a timeshare presentation.
We get to the Taheima ( which was desolate aside from employees) and are informed that we have a "presentation" to go to. We would make the most of it, even though we had to deal with this annoyance. Our room was on a ground floor and did have it's own pool. That was nice. The room was okay. There were some odd marks on our sheets, but we didn't mention it. They didn't have any bathrobes in the room, we called to ask for some, and they told us they don't provide them, so this sweet woman told me that she would get me some, so we gave her a nice tip. One of the pools ( the cooler one) didn't have any linens or beds set up, so we went swimming in the heated pool. They were okay. It was really quiet. There were barely any guests. The restaurant was great, but the beef was definitely frozen, from Texas actually, which we thought was odd, given they have Sonoran beef so close. The coconut tapioca was delicious. Service was great. The beach is not close, it is actually five minute drive away. They generally have a complementary shuttle to take you there* We didn't try the golf course, apparently it's one of the best. We did have a massage, as a previous reviewer had mentioned, it is in a renovated condo, which is kind of misleading when "spa" is tacked on to the resort. It was nice. We did the temezcal, which was intense. The guide also did it in Spanish, which made it really hard for me to understand, but I can't complain, because he did a great job.
Up until this point, we had a nice stay. Everything changed the day we had our presentation. We had a nice tour, but we were just not interested in owning in PV. Well, after our tour we did a sit down with the manager, Aaron. He could not have come across as more condescending. He made me incredibly uncomfortable. When trying to come up with a sales package for me, I explained that I work a lot and when I can get away, I like to visit my family, which I was why I am not likely to visit PV enough to purchase vaction property. He retorted that his brother lived in Seattle and he hadn't seen him in 10 years. Uhm, I'm pretty sure in high pressure sales, you are suppsoed to mirror your client. Oh well...he was just a jerk through and through. I asked how the resort got into a magazine on the table, and he would not answer me. If I am supposed to invest in this place, wouldn't I want to know what their marketing strategy is. After this really uncomfortable meeting, we were no longer provided access to the complimentary shuttle. Infact, we were at the Beach Club, and called the resort to see if somebody could pick us up. They said they spoke to Fidel Castro ( our "personal butler" who we only saw twice during our stay) and he said they couldn't pick us up. We then waited 25+ minutes for a cab, and when we got to Taheima lobby, we saw the van sitting there, Juan asking us why we didnt call him and then saw Fidel and asked why we weren't able to use the van, he said that he had never received that call. Pretty wild imagination for the Beach Club employees to pull the name Fidel Castro out of the air. As soon as we said no to this package, we began to feel very unwelcomed at this resort. It didn't feel like a luxury resort to me, it felt like the whole place was just staged to be sold, lacking all of those little details that hotels provide. I must say the staff was fantastic. We went to the bar one night, and then went home and ordered room service. Turns out our bartender made and delivered that food for us. Really great guy. We would never stay here again *****TIP IN CASH ALWAYS!!!!!!! From what we were told anonymously, the resort was over a month late in paying the employees ( even though the place felt understaffed as it was). Icing on the cake, my husband's Iphone was stolen. Spend your money elsewhere!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple