All reviews paradise village unit pools resort vrbo condominium tigre canadian pv canada
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Service was impeccable, we had our own butler for crying out loud !! His name's Fidel, look to him for anything you may need. Thanks Fidel! :) The rooms were surprisingly spacious, and the decor elegant, white and beige tones really do have a soothing effect. Rooms were nicely chilled, had my own private pool! Not to mention the lagoon and pool complex we would use during the day. We chose Taheima because my husband enjoys golf, and this is a challenging course, but I must say discovering yoga for the first time was definitely worth while. I ended up doing a Hatha session every day! The restaurant was nicely decorated as well, the food was delicious.. ever hear of Strawberry tuna ceviche?? Ridiculously decadent, and low cal apparently !!!!
The most enjoyable aspect of my stay was the private pool, but also the service (especially my kind yoga teacher). The Temazcal experience is definitely an experience i recommend to anyone, just be mindful of your own personal limits, as this can get very intense.
The distance from the beach was a small issue but when we realized the shuttle service only took a couple minutes to reach the beach our only concern quickly vanished.
I feel replenished! Apparently my husband still needs to work on his golf game (sorry honey).
All in all we had a good experience, and Puerto Vallarta is a great town if you enjoy eating out.
We stayed during the first week of July 2011.
Katy xx

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank JohnSchlem
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Well the title just about wraps it up... our stay at Taheima could have been absolutely wonderful, but it just seemed like at each and every step there was something lacking that prevented things from being pushed over the edge to "awesome"

First things first, as some other reviewers have mentioned, I booked this as a trip with my wife through a site advertising a great deal, purchased an additional 2 nights at a discounted price, and was roped into a "presentation". I posted more info on that in the forums, so if you're interested or curious, check it out. I'll try to keep this centered on the review of the grounds. I will say though that although we turned down the offer to rent or purchase with the property, we weren't really treated any differently afterwards. That's not saying a lot though, because like everything else at Taheima, the service was either really great or just lacking and leaving a lot to be desired.

We did not get a ground floor room; we were on the 3rd floor which was weird considering that the resort was pretty much empty since this is PV's tourism off-season. Our room was nice and spacious though, so no complaints with that. The drawers and closets did have this old musty smell to them, which might have something to do with the amount of humidity that generates in the rooms when they aren't centrally controlled by A/C, but again, more pluses and minuses. Spacious shower, nice bathroom with 2 sinks, and set up like a suite with a living room area.

The service at the resort was again, good at times, great at times, and blah at times. I will have to echo what the previous reviewer mentioned that the concierge Fidel Castro that some of these previous reviews alluded to was very nice and helpful at times, but during our 6 day / 5 night stay we saw him maybe 2 or 3 times. Pool service was absolutely terrible... both pools were open and there was one waiter / bartender guy that would walk back and forth maybe once every few hours, but we were never looked at or asked if we needed help or if we wanted any drinks or anything, and we weren't the only guests neglected. They have 2 pools, one marked for kids and one marked as an "adult" pool, but this was not at all enforced since kids occupied both pools at will. Not necessarily an issue but if you have a pool marked "adults only", maybe it should only be for adults. Also, the pool hours ran till 8 p.m., but this wasn't enforced either, which was actually pretty cool since the pools looked really awesome at night.

The resort is not close to any of the main beaches in Puerto Vallarta, since the resort sits contained in a resort "complex" that is guarded and maintained by security. Within this complex are several other resorts and one of the locations for Vallarta Adventures, so you have pretty easy access. The shuttle did not provide service to Vallarta Adventures though, or to anywhere downtown for that matter, so if you wish to not be restricted to the resort (we wanted to see and experience the town, not be locked down on the resort or within the resort complex for 6 days), you have to pony up cab fare. Cabs were always available though, we never had to wait more than 5 minutes.

The restaurant provided good meals at times and so-so meals at others. Generally, everything that I ate, I enjoyed, but there were some questionable items on the menu. The service at the restaurant was AWESOME (save 1 night for dinner when I had to request menus and drinks after being seated and having to wait 10 minutes), and the waiters were really helpful and willing to help us practice our terrible Spanish. Our trip save deal included all inclusive meals and drinks, so we really took advantage (and were encouraged to do so), ordering both off of the menu and utilizing the buffet that was always available. We also ate downtown several times, but having the restaurant there always gave us something to fall back on. We only provided tips, which I was happy to do since the food service was so helpful.

We only took one of their offered classes (since our trip was packed with tons of other planned activities), but it was really fun. It was their salsa class. The instructor took time to help out each couple and explained things in both English and Spanish for us, so we had no issues. It could have been a little longer, but classes and activities were scheduled and packed into each day by the resort, so I don't really have an issue with the fact that they had a schedule they had to stick to.

All in all, it just seems like Taheima had so much to offer that COULD have been great, but just wasn't quite up to speed and shape. It seems like it could have a bunch of potential, and may be better in their busy season (although if you neglect guests at times in your off season, how do you expect to handle everyone's requests and needs in the busier times?), but I guess that will be for someone else to figure out. If we return to PV, it will likely be to another resort located closer to the actual beaches in the area, not stuck on a resort located within this resort complex. We really enjoyed a lot of aspects of our stay here, but always will leave with a feeling of how awesome and great things could have been if they would have just ironed out some aspects of their resort, their service, and their overall value.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank dragonOL2
Reviewed 16 August 2011

It's crazy that my stay at Taheima over two months ago can still bring up such frustration. My mother had purchased us a 3 night all-inclusive stay at this property, as a gift for our anniversary. So we booked our flights and an extra night at the hotel on expedia to make it a longer weekend. What none of us knew, until we got to the resort, was that this package had included a "presentation." The day before we left, somebody from SunMex Travel, had called to ask our flight details. This is not standard procedure, so I asked if this was a timeshare thing, and the agent assured me that I was not old enough for a timeshare presentation.
We get to the Taheima ( which was desolate aside from employees) and are informed that we have a "presentation" to go to. We would make the most of it, even though we had to deal with this annoyance. Our room was on a ground floor and did have it's own pool. That was nice. The room was okay. There were some odd marks on our sheets, but we didn't mention it. They didn't have any bathrobes in the room, we called to ask for some, and they told us they don't provide them, so this sweet woman told me that she would get me some, so we gave her a nice tip. One of the pools ( the cooler one) didn't have any linens or beds set up, so we went swimming in the heated pool. They were okay. It was really quiet. There were barely any guests. The restaurant was great, but the beef was definitely frozen, from Texas actually, which we thought was odd, given they have Sonoran beef so close. The coconut tapioca was delicious. Service was great. The beach is not close, it is actually five minute drive away. They generally have a complementary shuttle to take you there* We didn't try the golf course, apparently it's one of the best. We did have a massage, as a previous reviewer had mentioned, it is in a renovated condo, which is kind of misleading when "spa" is tacked on to the resort. It was nice. We did the temezcal, which was intense. The guide also did it in Spanish, which made it really hard for me to understand, but I can't complain, because he did a great job.
Up until this point, we had a nice stay. Everything changed the day we had our presentation. We had a nice tour, but we were just not interested in owning in PV. Well, after our tour we did a sit down with the manager, Aaron. He could not have come across as more condescending. He made me incredibly uncomfortable. When trying to come up with a sales package for me, I explained that I work a lot and when I can get away, I like to visit my family, which I was why I am not likely to visit PV enough to purchase vaction property. He retorted that his brother lived in Seattle and he hadn't seen him in 10 years. Uhm, I'm pretty sure in high pressure sales, you are suppsoed to mirror your client. Oh well...he was just a jerk through and through. I asked how the resort got into a magazine on the table, and he would not answer me. If I am supposed to invest in this place, wouldn't I want to know what their marketing strategy is. After this really uncomfortable meeting, we were no longer provided access to the complimentary shuttle. Infact, we were at the Beach Club, and called the resort to see if somebody could pick us up. They said they spoke to Fidel Castro ( our "personal butler" who we only saw twice during our stay) and he said they couldn't pick us up. We then waited 25+ minutes for a cab, and when we got to Taheima lobby, we saw the van sitting there, Juan asking us why we didnt call him and then saw Fidel and asked why we weren't able to use the van, he said that he had never received that call. Pretty wild imagination for the Beach Club employees to pull the name Fidel Castro out of the air. As soon as we said no to this package, we began to feel very unwelcomed at this resort. It didn't feel like a luxury resort to me, it felt like the whole place was just staged to be sold, lacking all of those little details that hotels provide. I must say the staff was fantastic. We went to the bar one night, and then went home and ordered room service. Turns out our bartender made and delivered that food for us. Really great guy. We would never stay here again *****TIP IN CASH ALWAYS!!!!!!! From what we were told anonymously, the resort was over a month late in paying the employees ( even though the place felt understaffed as it was). Icing on the cake, my husband's Iphone was stolen. Spend your money elsewhere!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank LushieIsRad
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Taheima Wellness Resort & Spa earlier this month as we were visiting friends who live just north and recommended it based on the fact that we golf and the hotel sits directly on one of the best courses in the area.
Another factor that we had not considered, but was a great relief to
my wife, was the fact that the resort is located inside the "El Tigre" Country Club, which is an extremely secure, gated community with very strict rules as to who may enter the property. (Our friends also assured us that our concerns were unwarranted and were only the result of shoddy, alarmist reporting on the part of news outlets back in the US.)
I hadcalso read other comments regarding the distane to the beach. This turned out to be another non-issue, as the hotel provided us with transportation anytime we wanted to go to their beach club... AND it is only a 2 minute ride at most.
The room was large, bright, and airy and had its own plunge pool (we actually were upgraded to a 2 bedroom unit at check in!). The housekeeping was about the best I have seen anywhere, and we were treated as if we were VIPs by Fidel Castro (I didn't believe it was his name, so he showed me his ID!), who is the hotel's Head Butler.
We were thoroughly pleased with our stay and we will definitely stay at Taheima Resort again if we can make it back to Nuevo Vallarta!

• Stayed: July 2011
6  Thank Swablr
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I did not want to write this review, but because I have so appreciated using this website for years, I felt compelled.

The grounds at Taheima are lovely. The facility has an expansive, relaxed feel. The food is indeed high-end, which I love and I believe there are some truly kind people who work here.

I was prepared to savor every moment of this trip which has been planned for months. The chaotic organization and overall inability of the staff and management of this resort to follow through with what they say they will do, much less anticipate people's needs, made it impossible for me to relax and enjoy myself - something I rarely can say.

Among the countless annoyances daily were:

- after learning that the one-bedroom suite had no TV in the bedroom, I requested to pay the difference for the two bedroom suite where this is the case. Only after 3 e-mails and several telephone calls to Mexico, could I get them to address this. If they had told me they were full, I would have been satisfied (this was not the case). We arrived after a long, hot trip with a tired, hungry 7 year old and were taken to the 1-bedroom suite. Fortunately I had printed and brought the e-mail from Mr. Apodaca, the reservations manager, saying that the we could pay the difference for the 2-bedroom suite. The front desk knew nothing about it and it took my requesting a phone call to him to eventually clear it up.

- We had a package from Familygetaways.com (a subsidiary of Luxurylink which I have loved in the past). This included sparkling wine, chocolate-covered strawberries etc. upon arrival. Not only was it not there, but I needed to prove with the package printout that we were entitled to this. If it were not for JUAN GARCIA, it never would have come. He (and I believe Fidel Castro) holds this place together. He works amazingly hard, is intelligent and follows through.

Small things became expected:

-the room was not cleaned at the requested time of day (despite both hanging the card on the door as well as speaking with housekeeping directly)
- I asked for help to get to the bus station to go out of town. After research, the front desk had me take a taxi further than I need to go..more expensive as well of course
- I was told at the front desk that they could not change dollars to pesos (and they have no ATM). Two days later the front desk person said that they did. The location is lovely, but remote and a taxi ride is needed to access to cash machines.
- Twice my drink order was forgotten at the pool area
- When I order roast chicken from room service and asked if they could replace the french fries with any other kind of potato, rice or beans, they said they had none of those...a Wellness resort?
- I was told twice our first day that they carried no sparkling water (club soda) . Something prompted me to ask the following day and it magically appeared. Were it not for so many other issues I would have believed that they went to get some because it was requested by a guest..
- I sent an e-mail to the resort asking if there was resort transportation from the airport or if we should use a taxi, and it was never answered.

The list goes on. I have been to different and diverse resorts in Puerto Vallarta and Nuevo Vallarta each year and have loved them all. This has been the only disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family