“Meals Mediocore and using Exchange Rate to Rip off Gringo's”

Giuseppi's Espresso
Ranked #44 of 164 Restaurants in Puerto Penasco
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 15
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Voted the "Best Breakfast in Puerto Penasco 2014". Located on Blvd. Fremont #158 Giuseppi's Restaurant is just what you want! Serving breakfast and coffee at 8am. Yes, we have all the espresso drinks you like. Come alone or bring a friend. Eggs, bacon, bagels and more. A perfect start before a day at the shore. Wireless internet and pizzelle's abound. Bring your computer and lounge around. Come check it out and you will soon see Giuseppi's is the place for you to be! A relaxing atmosphere serving comfort foods at reasonable prices.
Reviewed 16 December 2016

Let me first say that the exchange rate is being used by a number of restaurants to make super-normal profits. This is one of them. I ate there today, and the rate was 19 pesos to the dollar!!. The place was empty at 2:00pm (prime time)....I was the only patron (not a good sign). Yet I read such glowing comments on Trip Advisor who I guess don't understand that 20.5 pesos (now) to the dollar should make Mexico a bargain, well not in Puerto Penasco. I presume this restaurant makes $$ in the high season, while many others manage well even in the low season. At a to be reviewed later fish restaurant on the Malecom, a fish taco in US money was $2, and was 23 pesos on the Spanish language menu that my wife asked for. THATS ALMOST 50% less on the Mexican menu.

Back to this restaurant. The pastrami sandwich has been touted as the 'best' was mediocre. Not much pastrami, a small slice of pickle and spicy fries (I think). This was a lunch special for $7 IN MEXICO. Regular price was $8 or $9 which are USA prices for a lunch sandwich. I spoke to the manager or owner who was American (I dare say no Italian works at this place), and her attitude was the price exchange rate to pesos 'is what it is)...paraphrased. I decided to take home the fish special to my wife, to give the food assessment another chance. The battered fried flounder was so-so, and not to be ordered again. As such, I cannot recommend this restaurant for value for what you get and food quality. I will personally never return just on the basis of their taking advantage of a peso paying customer. I will be reviewing a great competitor with prices almost 1/2 this restaurant and the food is EXCELLENT. In closing, I do not recommend this restaurant for food quality or food value. I suggest the 'super positive' reviewers check out some really outstanding restaurants in Puerto Penasco for excellent breakfast and lunch at reasonable prices.

1  Thank Ron I
Anita B, Manager at Giuseppi's Espresso, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello,
I was looking over your review and read that you had a pastfami sandwich.....we don't serve pastrami sandwiches and never have. It was a Reuben. Thank you for your opinion regardless.

Reviewed 10 September 2016 via mobile

This is a clean and friendly restaurant. Coffee drinks are excellent and the food is yummy. Prices are reasonable and there are many choices available.

1  Thank Sharon P
Reviewed 6 April 2016

We ordered a frittata and huevos rancheros and they were great. I've had frittatas that are a little thicker and fluffier, but the taste was wonderful. The huevos rancheros were also great. VERY NICE little restaurant for breakfast or lunch, but no dinner. Cute little courtyard to enjoy the meal in, EXCEPT with the Zomba class is in session next door.

Reviewed 1 March 2016

For my money, this is the best place in town for breakfast or lunch. The food is expertly prepared and very tasty. The service is friendly and efficient, and the setting is peaceful. There is a small courtyard with plashing fountain and comfortable chairs and the wifi is just as strong outside as it is inside. The food is homemade and satisfying. I recommend the Reuben sandwich especially and the breakfast burritos (served with fresh fruit), but everything I have tried here is good--they even have bagels! The coffee is also excellent and is refilled without your having to ask. Prices are competitive (2 breakfast burritos, with fruit and special salsa plus coffee, all for only 80 pesos!) And if you want a relaxing atmosphere, away from the noisy sound systems and chatter of most tourist places, this is the best choice. The music is calming (today there was a lot of Dean Martin) and no one is rushing to finish your meal and move on.

1  Thank Matthew S
Reviewed 3 January 2016

Were full time residents, we eat here every week. Great consistent food and coffee, The Sunday Buffet is very good! Fresh fruit, Best biscuits and gravy, sausage and bacon ever! Eat healthy or be naughty its your choice! Pedro speaks good English and gives great service.. Avoid the crowds of Sandy beach area and give them a try. Full buffet for $9 and many other menu items are $7-8 with unlimited coffee refills!