10,016 results
All reviews gourmet pub el dorado beach beds klay talay main bar swim up room seaside suites personal concierge vida garden grill premium block our honeymoon room service seaside market naay spa bali beds swing bar four poster
Reviewed 2 October 2015

I will start by saying that we had a perfect honeymoon and would not hesitate to recommend this resort to family/friends.

The resort is beautiful - very clean, well kept and peaceful. It's not too big so your within close proximity of everything. Although we were on honeymoon (and i did provide this info before hand), we didn't get upgraded to Premium (i think they assumed we weren't married as we are a same-sex couple) but I am really pleased because the Premium rooms are in a big block and i loved being in one of the smaller blocks by the sea.

The room was very spacious and comfortable and was cleaned to perfection every day. We had a lovely view of some of the gardens and could see the sea through the trees. The food was another highlight for me. The Gourmet Pub was beautiful as was the Asian and Italian. If you're a food lover then I would definitely recommend this place.

I think what made it extra special was two things. Firstly, all of the staff were lovely and could not do enough for you. I did not walk past one member of staff without them saying 'Ola' to us. Secondly, it was the small touches like the lovely towel art on the bed every day and the free bottle of champagne that we had bought to our room. They make your holiday feel really personal and I can safely say that the Mexicans are some of the nicest people I have ever met.

If I am being really fussy, I would say there were two small faults. One being that the beach is not very big and some of the pictures on the Thomson website were slightly misleading, Saying that, we never had any trouble getting a sun bed and we spent almost every day on the beach. The other would be that the main pool seemed very loud and noisy due to the activities being based there.

Regarding the seaweed ...yes it is a problem but unfortunately, that is nature!! The guys that work on the beach were working tirelessly all day to clear it so that it was not too much of a problem!

All in all, we had a perfect 2 weeks and had no problems whatsoever. I think a lot of these reviews are being overly picky and after all, you cannot please everyone.

Room tip: Junior Suite with jacuzzi was lovely and quiet
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
12  Thank LWhite1992
EDSS S, Gerente at Sensimar Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2016

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience, your opinion is truly important for us. We appreciate your kind comments about facilities, food and specially the staff as they are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations and this is great motivation to keep offering the best service.

We are looking forward for your next visit. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly, we will be more than glad to accommodate your requests.

Reviewed 1 October 2015

We came here 2 years ago and had a fantastic time, so decided to return for our mums 80th Birthday, 6 of us in our party, we booked swim up suites ( as before). When we checked in, 2 of our party were in the swim up suites and 4 of us in the 'premium' suites.
We told the concierge that we wanted to be together as our booking stated, the duty manageress ( karina) came and told us "we could not be together as returing guests ( we told her this was our second time) we have been upgraded". After about 20 mins telling the manageress we did not want to be upgraded as we wanted to be together as booked, we were told in a smiley patronising manner "these are our best rooms and you will love them". Again we kept telling her we wanted what we booked ( going around in circles). We were told " we did not know you were a group of six we don't have that information" my reply was "strange how the checking staff knew we are a party of 6, so did the Mexican coach driver"?.
Ultimately we changed rooms the following day after checking out before 12 & rechecking in after 3pm. This did not start well as we couldn't unpack or settle into our rooms and start enjoying our holiday.
The same day we found Adam ( Thomson rep) explained to him that we were not happy about the 'upgrade' he took notes and said he'd pass to resort rep ( can't remember his name...possibly Craig). One week later after not hearing anything we found Lindsey ( Thomson rep) who investigated further... She apologised as Craig said it was all sorted... ( we said we wanted some compensation for loss of first day faffing with check out check in & unpacking & clock watching).
Not once did the hotel acknowledge they had over subscribed and the only place to hold us was the tower block ( premium suites) nor did we get an apology from the duty manageress for her lying to us. If she had been honest and non patronising we probably would have just gone with it. Thomson Reps ( apart from Lindsey) obviously do not communicate with each other, lack customer care ( as with duty manageress) and tell you anything to get you off their case.

Most the staff within the hotel were so helpful & friendly ( one restaurant hostess did not like fact we were a party of 6 and told us we can sit in twos but not 6) !! The beach front was over crowded ( compared to 2 years ago) couldn't move between beds.
The food was superb and lots to chose from.

Our premium room in the tower block was not what I'd say is premium, over looks the ocean ( didn't plan on staying in the room for the view...wasn't that great)...from about 2 miles open plan style bathroom. We were located on the 6th floor... Get off the lift at level 5 ( should have known that)!!
Our swim up suites were lovely, a gentle stroll down the lazy river to the swim up bar & 5 min walk to the beach.
Hotel was spotlessly clean, the on site Dr & paramedic were fantastic.
What I have learnt is- don't trust Thompson to book what you require or to sort out any problem. Don't think we will go back to the same hotel purely because of the duty manageress & her attitude towards us & customer care course completed... We spent a week wondering how our complaint was going when in fact nothing had been done. Eventually Lindsey negotiated a discount on our spa treatments which was welcomed.
Not a great start to mums 80th birthday but we did have a lovely 10 days despite the problem on the first night.

Room tip: Personally I would avoid the premium suites, tower block and quite noisy.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank hess160

Reviewed 1 October 2015 via mobile

I went to Eldorado seaside suites in september 2015 feeling very excited. On arrival was checked into room efficiently,room very nice staff at hotel lovely nothing too much trouble. Went for spa with hubby excellant and staff wonderful Christine who did massage excellant. Food beautiful but hotel could do with upgrade a bit tired. Getting sun beds or beach 4 poster beds extremely difficut to get fortunately my husband up early in morning to obtain a bed on beach 5am. Beach area very rocky under foot staff dealing with seaweed issues daily but noise from chain saws and daily workmen on beach did make relaxing on beach difficult. Bar staff at beach excellant but always need to ask for Smirnoff vodka or receive local stuff from bar. Would not go back to Eldorado seaside suites until its upgraded anytime soon Rose +Les xx

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rose S
EDSS S, Gerente at Sensimar Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2016

Dear Guest,

Great to hear you had a great holiday while staying at Sensimar Seaside Suites.

We also appreciate your feedback as this helps us to improve and keep offering the best experiences.

Reviewed 30 September 2015

When we arrived the check in was very quick, we were given a ice cold towel and drink which was most welcome after all the travelling. Taken to our room by buggy and our cases followed soon after. The room was huge, king size bed and Jacuzzi. We had 2 sinks, separate toilet and huge shower. There was also a small sofa and table in the room. Fully stocked fridge. safe and tea/coffee making facilities. We were on the ground floor in a beachfront room, sliding doors with nice little sitting area outside, Very impressed with the room, we were very close to the bar, but the noise from the bar and disco didn.t really bother us. Each block has its own personal concierge, they were fantastic and nothing was too much trouble for them. All the staff at EDSS were amazing, I'm sure I only used 2 words on holiday "Hola" and "Excelente". You will never go hungry here, the food was fabulous, I'm shocked I only gained 5lb in the 2 weeks. Favourite place was The Gourmet Pub, but I can honestly say, we never had a bad meal, wherever we ate the whole time we were there. We also had room service a few times and again the food was lovely. The laundry service was brilliant, came back to the room within hours, beautifully pressed and on hangers. There was Wi-Fi throughout the hotel, this was a bit hit and miss, still it was free so no complaints really. I treated my husband to a massage in the spa, this was a couples massage in the Golden Suite. Was a bit pricey but believe me it was worth every penny, Champagne and chocolate strawberries in the Jacuzzi after an amazing body massage. The entertainments team were great, rallying the troops for water sports, quizzes and silly games around the pool. I did think that as this was a 5* hotel the evening entertainment would be a bit polished, but we still enjoyed it. The guys in the bars worked so hard, I've never seen so many cocktails. The beach was a bit of a disappointment, but the seaweed problem was everywhere, the guys worked so hard everyday clearing the beach, and our last few days it looked amazing. Unfortunately there was a few gripes that did not really spoilt the holiday, but did put a bit of a damper on it. There were a few occasions during the day that people were getting totally drunk and being extremely loud, people being sick in the pool and passing out, I also witnessed people smoking in the pool and dropping their ash in it. The pool was not closed and I did not use it again after that. I know everyone is on holiday and there to enjoy themselves but sometimes it all got a bit too loud. so not the peaceful romantic place I had imagined. And the other thing was the sunbeds, some mornings we went to the pool at 6am and all the beds were gone. This happened every morning and people didn't come back for hours. The hotel implements a policy to remove towels if you do not return within an hour, this obviously was not carried out by the hotel staff. Trouble is you had to do the same thing yourself just to get a sun lounger. I had a fantastic holiday and met some lovely people and I will return.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank Joanne4462

Reviewed 30 September 2015 via mobile

Overall our honey moon at El dorado was a great, a memorable 12 days. The staff were great (with the exception of a couple who were obviously having a bad day) the hotel and the grounds are beautiful and waking up to the sunrise over the lapping waves and beautiful views is something I'm going to miss!
We did notice though that not all couple are treated equally and unless you choose to upgrade (an option we wernt even offered) you are left feeling less special than others. Even though our marriage certificate was copied and they knew it was our honeymoon and my husbands birthday on the second day nothing was done about it. I had to request a birthday platter for my husband and the concierge Dante came to our rescue and sorted a surprise birthday turn down service and sparkling wine.
We had to move rooms twice as ours was double booked for the first night, for that night we got put in the 5th floor in the premium block, which was amazing. But then we got moved to suite 3815, if you get this room, request to be moved! It was full of mould and after complaining they put scent on the air conditioning unit to "fix" it. That did nothing for the mould in the wardrobe, covering the coat hangers, over the dressing gowns or the spores circulation the room. We asked to move as not only was there mould but I am a wheel chair user and the block had stairs and no lift. My husband had to carry me and then my wheelchair separately up the stairs. They said they could move us in 3 days, but that turned into 4 days! By that time all our clothing stank of mould!
We didn't let this dampen our honeymoon, but a very bad meal with poor service at the gormet pub was the last straw for my husband! It just seemed that everything that could go wrong, did go wrong! Missing starter, wrong starter, wrong drink, inedible main, paper in my desert and a missing booking!! The management treated us to a special room service breakfast as an oppology.
The entertainment program and team were great and night times were fun.
I have to say a special thank you to certain staff that made our stay memorable Mercedes in the vida grill is a "top bloke" and made us laugh throughout our meal.
Wilberth made our breakfasts in Aracifies perfect.
Freda from the entertainment team deserves an extra special shout out as she went above and beyond for us and some friends we met there. Thank you Freda
Alberto was great and always made us smile.
Estephanie, Chuck and Aldo on the entertainment team were great.
Rosarrio and Alfreida from the Nayy spa were amazing!!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Arianne M
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Sensimar Resort Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2015

Dear Arianne M,

first of all we want to thank you for taking time to share your comments with us at Trip Advisor and we appreciate your great comments about the beautiful hotel and its well kept grounds as for your positive comments about our Staff members as Mercedes, Wilberth, Freda, Alberto,Estephanie, Chuck and Aldo as Rosarrio and Alfreida, they are the ones who make a difference in service.

However we are very sorry to read about the disappointment experienced during your stay; we will do our best to resolve all matters for satisfaction and therefore we have reached out to you by private message to continue communication with you directly.

Best regards,