Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
US$ 457
US$ 438
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)
US$ 698
US$ 456
Official Site
Barcelo Maya Beach(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
Barcelo Maya Colonial(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$ 352
  • Beachfront
Aventuras Club(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$ 318
US$ 140
Coral Maya(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$ 165
US$ 157
B&B Mom's House(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$ 90
US$ 88
  • Pool
7,064 results
All reviewsaventura spa palacehard rockour honeymoonmoon palacehydrotherapy roomspa treatmentsfishtime sharesteakmartini barhydrotherapy areaplaya del carmenresort creditobstacle courseman made lagoonmayan coffeepublic relations
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Everything was great. The one gripe I have is getting from the airport to the resort. I was able to haggle down to $100 american (round trip) for a place for my wife and I on a group shuttle. I'm sure there are better deals than that. Don't wait until you're standing outside the airport!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Charles P
Xavier V, Customer Service Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thank you for your comments. We are very glad to know that everything was great.
We are sure other travelers will find your advice very helpful.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband and I booked a deal through CostcoTravel at Aventura Spa Palace. We are SUPER BUMMED that this is turning into Hard Rock Hotel because this place was amazing. As with any all-inclusive place, the food was hit or miss (Mo Mo No Hana was superb). The drinks were gerat. We loved the in-room taps!

The juice bar was an excellent addition to this place - trying to keep it somewhat healthy as it is a spa. The pools were excellent and the water-based adventures in the cove were awesome. We saw so many crazy fish!

The spa was also excellent. We had a very large room credit, so we booked a couples massage and we really enjoyed it. Very relaxing and the masseuses were professional and skilled.

The grounds are very well-kept and the staff is very friendly. Their English is fantastic!

We are not sure we will return when it transforms in a couple days, but this really was paradise.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie L
Xavier V, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Thank you for sharing your review with us; we are very happy to know that you had a pleasant stay at our resort.
It is great to hear that the food at our restaurants was of your liking and that you qualify Mo mo no hana as “superb.”
We are glad to know that you enjoyed our wonderful Spa and our hotel’s beautiful grounds.
It would be our pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 16 July 2012

This was our 1st vacation without our children, I will start off by saying Adventura Spa is beautiful but what makes it even better is their employees. I will start with my check -in at the front desk done by Victor Rubio what a gentleman, excellent customer service and let me add he went over and beyond in helping us with everything we needed when guest services didnt have answers for us. Victor made it possible for us to make our vacation a memorable one. It doesnt end there we have Pedro Palados Mendez our breakfast waiter; the service he provided to us was always with a smile, making sure our coffe and juice was always filled and we didnt need anything. Then their was Arturo Quiroz Batista our lunch waiter; always happy to see us and ask our our day was going, who also made sure we had everything we wanted and always checked how our food was. Now Daniel Santiago Uh Ulcab he stand out from all the waiters; he was our dinner waiter at Ventanas one night and he made us feel as if I was a queen and my other half a king. He made us special garlic rolls and as soon as I was done serving my dinner he took the plate from my hands and took it to the table. He made sure that my other half Captain & 7Up was always filled and made our dinner an enjoyable one. Now as for entertainment Eduardo is the man; he got me in the pool excersing and not to mention had me singing to him just to get points on a game a guessing game. Overall these three waiters Pedro,Arturo & Daniel plus Victor at the front desk, plus Edward our entertainer made our vacation a wondeful, delightful experience. Our experience was such an amazing one that we are considering returning with our children and staying at the Cove side. Thank you Adventura Spa for having A+++++ employees who actually care enough to go the extra mile.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

We are so delighted to know that you had an amazing experience at our hotel; we strive to provide unforgettable experiences to our guests and we are very happy to know that we have achieved that goal.
It is wonderful to know that the service provided by Pedro, Arturo, Daniel, Victor and Eduardo was excellent; we will acknowledge them of your special mention.
We hope to welcome you soon to Aventura Palace.

Reviewed 13 July 2012

My husband and I booked our honeymoon at your resort at Riviera Maya through RCI.  We have many friends who stayed there for their honeymoons 3-5 years ago and had great reviews.  Unfortunately, our honeymoon was the worst experience we've ever had at any resort or hotel.

When we arrived on June 17th, our room was not ready.  So we went to the restaurant (Mo Mo Na Hana) to eat and were told to come back at 3pm.  When we went back just after 3pm, our room was still not ready.  So we met with Arora who explained our resort credits, some of the activities we could reserve with the vacation planners, and explained the upcoming change to Hard Rock.  She also invited us to breakfast the next day at 11am to hear about all of the changes that would be made with the Hard Rock conversion.  She did not tell us it was a sales pitch, just a chance to hear about the great things coming and, for eating breakfast with them, we'd get the romantic dinner as a gift.  So we agreed to go.  Our room was ready by that point so we went with the bellman upstairs.

In our original room, I believe it was 3645, we found that it was not in fact clean (the counters in the room and the bathroom were dirty) and the air conditioning did not work at all.  There was air coming out of the vent but it was not at all cold.  So, we called down to ask that someone come clean the room.  While waiting, we tried to lay on the bed, which was rock hard and then decided to use the jacuzzi for a minute.  While unfolding our towels by the jacuzzi, we found that they had brown, yellow and red spots all over them.  So, again, we called down to the front desk, asked that someone bring us towels, clean the room and check on the air conditioning, since still was not getting cool in the room. We told them we'd be gone for dinner but to let themselves in.

We went down to dinner at the Italian restaurant.  There were bugs crawling and flying around our table.  We were the first ones there so it's not like they were busy.  Our food was again not very good and was cold.  When we went up to our room, nothing had been done-the counters were still dirty, there were not new towels and the air was not working.  My husband went down to the front desk to ask why nothing was done and they showed him a new room, 3651 I believe, which was not any cooler.  We were going to have to pack up everything again to move a couple rooms down which was not any better.  Since we had had to get up at 3am to catch our flight that morning, we decided we'd just stay in our original room, try to sleep and go talk to the front desk in the morning.  We barely slept at all and were sore from the bed when we got up.

By that morning, we noticed that we had upset stomachs- not terribly bad, but not our usual selves.  We went down to the front desk to ask to be moved and informed them of the problems.  Mauricio, I believe, helped us again and was very apologetic.  He said he would try to get us a new room as soon as possible.  We went to the reservations department to book a spa appointment, which took quite a long time.  One reason it took so long is that they were trying to charge us the 11% taxes/fees despite the fact that we booked our trip in November 2011.  Eventually he got that fixed.  I believe Ivan was our planner and he was very nice, although he was talking on Gmail while we were working with him, which we didn't appreciate.  By the time we finished there, a new room was ready to check out, which we did.  Our new number was 3524- it was a little cooler so we decided to get our bags from the old room and move them to the new one.  By the time we finished moving our bags, it was time to go to breakfast with Arora.

Once there, however, we were given to a new person, who brought us down to Momo Na Hana to eat.  Once we finished our food, he started a sales pitch.  We explained that we had just spent a lot of money on our wedding, needed to save for a house, and needed a new car so we were not going to be in any position any time soon to buy a membership, no matter the cost.  He said no problem, we'd just tell that to his boss when we got upstairs and we'd be able to leave.  After showing us some rooms, we went up to the Legendary offices and his boss joined us.  We sat there for probably 20 minutes, getting the hardest sell I've ever experienced.  We kept telling him over and over we didn't have the money to spend on vacations.  Eventually, he started giving us an attitude because we "had the money but just wasn't going to give it to them".  We eventually had to be a little frank with him and say that was enough and we were not going to buy anything.  Then a THIRD person came over and offered us a lower number of weeks.  By this point we were really upset.  He got an attitude with us again and asked us, "if you knew you were not going to spend money, why did you even come and waste our time."  We were stunned and said that we wanted to hear about the Hard Rock conversion and we were offered the romantic dinner.  He signed his paper to get us the dinner and told us to get back to our vacation and not waste their time any longer.  By this point it was 1pm and we had spent most of our first full day dealing with moving our room, getting problems fixed with the planners and with the sales pitch for membership.  We were pissed off but wanted to have fun so we went down to the pool and ate lunch at El Greco.

At 3pm we went to the spa for a massage.  Around 4:30pm, we both started feeling sicker, with upset stomachs.  So we went back to the room to rest.  We ended up ordering room service, because we were too sick and tired to go anywhere else.  The food was not good, yet again.  My husband liked the pork sandwich and my fajitas were edible, but that was it from everything we ordered.  Also, that evening, my husband tried using the alcohol dispensers in the room.  He tried the scotch whiskey twice and both times he got BUGS out of the bottle.  We called the front desk and they sent someone up with a new bottle.  That person explained that whomever had the key to unlock the cabinet and get the bug-infested bottle out was not there so someone would have to come again the next day.  It was disgusting to think that we'd have to sleep with that in our room that night.  Again, our bed was rock hard and the air wasn't working very well.  We did not sleep well that evening again.

Tuesday, we woke up and decided to go to the pool for the day.  We ate at Momo Na Hana again for breakfast, which again was ok, but not great.  Our stomachs were feeling a little better but not back to normal so we just lounged by the pool.  We got some snacks from El Greco around lunch time.  Around 4pm again, we started to have upset stomachs and went back to the room.  My stomach was worse than my husband's at this point.  We thought we should go to what was described by the staff as the best restaurant, Mundaca, for dinner to get some better food.  Unfortunately, it was far from better food.  We had asked for our steaks to be medium and medium rare, I had the NY steak and he had the ribeye.  They were honestly just bad cuts of meat and totally over cooked.  Also, when we upgraded to a better bottle on wine, they said they would charge us the 11% fee again.  We left disappointed, because steak is our favorite food.  I'd also like to point out that their "upgraded" wine list included wine that is lower tier here in the states.  For example, Ravenswood, which is around $10 here in Washington, D.C., was listed for $125 there.  That's a total rip off.

When we got back to our room, we were exhausted, our stomachs were upset, and we were just upset about how bad our honeymoon was so far.  We both admitted that we actually just wanted to go home but we thought we'd sleep on it rather than call AirTran right away.

When we woke up Wednesday morning, my husband wanted to try to stick it out and make the best of it.  We really didn't want this to be how our honeymoon ended.  So, we went down to the travel office and tried to book some trips and spa appointments.  Again, it took a long time, most of our morning.  We went for another massage, which was fine.  Then we went for lunch on the Cove side, hoping to find something better to eat.  Again the food was terrible.  It was either totally overcooked, had been sitting out for a while so it was dried out by the time we got to it or it just tasted badly.  We ended up both eating a serving of pasta and shrimp and leaving.  At that point I started to have total diarrhea and stomach cramping worse than it had been the day before.  We went back to the room around 1pm and rested for most of the day.  My husband wasn't feeling good but he wasn't as bad as I was.  We watched old reruns of TV shows which have been canceled in the US and tried to use our computers whenever the Internet would work, which was inconsistent at best.

We decided to try to go to dinner to not let the romantic dinner we had scheduled go to waste.  I wish we had just not gone because the food was terrible! I didn't eat much of the salad or soup because I wasn't feeling well.  I stuck to bread, which was stale.  My steak was 100% inedible, totally overcooked so it was rubber, as was the lobster.  They literally took a flank steak, rolled it up and wrapped it in bacon, then overcooked the hell out of it.  I ended up asking for more potatoes just so I could have something solid in my stomach.  My husband's was better but not good.  We had planned on going to the dueling pianos on the other side so we could have something to do that night, but I was too sick to go.

Thursday morning, we had had enough, called Airtran around 8am, and paid to move our flights to that afternoon.  We packed our 4 suitcases in 20 minutes, that's how happy we were to leave.  When we went downstairs we cancelled our remaining trips and tried to get our shuttle to the airport moved to that day.  We were told that there was no room for us and they wouldn't help us.  So we had to pay $57 US dollars to take a taxi.  We were never so happy to leave somewhere in our lives.

So, basically, we have had the worst honeymoon experience we've ever heard of.  The beds were rock hard and the air conditioning did not work well so we didn't sleep much.  The food made us sick, to the point that we both had explosive diarrhea by Thursday, which made for an uncomfortable trip home on the planes/in the airport.  Our stomachs were STILL upset for a full week after we left, so the doctor put us on antibiotics.  There was nothing to do indoors and very little to do in the evening, unless we wanted to listen to American Idol rejects and karaoke.  The Internet was spotty at best in our room so we had little resources to be able to entertain ourselves.  We had a dirty room, dirty towels, and bugs in our alcohol in the room.  It was the worst experience in our lives.

We used a week of RCI credits and paid $2068 for the all-inclusive fees and we want it back for everything we had to go through staying at your resort.  We had upset stomachs for two weeks which was only helped with medication.  We were harassed to buy into a timeshare on our first full day there.  We had to pay to move our flights and take the taxis in Mexico and here at home.  For everything we've had to go through, it is the least you can do to refund us the money we've paid.  RCI has already credited us back with the week we used.  THe right thing to do here is for you to refund what we paid for the all-inclusive fee.

I understand that the Palace resort at Riviera Maya was once a great place to go.  I also understand, as Arora explained, that you've had some rough years due to the swine flu, the US economy struggling, and the drug cartels scaring people away from Mexico in general.  This is a tough time for everyone.  But you have a responsibility to hold yourselves to the standard you tell the world you meet and you failed completely.  You do NOT qualify as a Gold Crown resort for RCI and everyone who books there should have the opportunity to know what you are really offering.  We feel we were fooled into choosing your resort and we wasted our honeymoon.

Room Tip: Stay some other place!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
26  Thank PBABCB
Xavier V, Guest Relations Manager at Heaven at the Hard Rock Hotel Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2012

As you are aware we have come to a mutual agreement through a different channel, we have sent you a PM for further follow up.
Kind regards

Reviewed 12 July 2012

My fiance and I stayed here from June 21-28 of this year, and we could not have been happier with our stay. I read a lot of reviews and did a lot of research before this trip, and based on the things some people said about in-room thefts and poor service, I was pretty hesitant to keep our booking. But we dove in, and I'm so glad we did.

We stayed as guests of a Palace Premier member, and so got some pretty nice perks -- only using 200 of our 2,000 resort credits to upgrade to Concierge being one of them. We met people who'd made the same upgrade and had it cost them 1,200 credits because they weren't members, so we had a little gloating session because of that. Really, though, the upgrade wasn't entirely worth it. I knew we'd always have the shot dispenser, Jacuzzi and excellent view, but hell -- we were on vacation, and someone had given us free money. Why not use it?

As for the room, it was great. It always smelled lovely and was clean whenever we came back from the water in the afternoon, which was refreshing and relaxing. We really didn't take advantage of the pillow menu, extra room service menu or anything like that, but I think we got a great experience out of it, anyway. Room service was fine: not terribly fast, but then, our building was pretty far away from any kitchens! I couldn't blame anyone for the long time in getting food, as it was always hot and tasty when it arrived.

We didn't take advantage of our resort credits, really, and I sort of wish we had. All we did was use the complimentary massage and mani/pedi that came with our booking already. My fiance got a haircut, but that was about it. We just weren't that interested in spa stuff. One thing, though: I booked the romantic couples lobster dinner through Antonio Chavira, about two weeks before our trip. I got the confirmation and everything, but when we went to member services to make sure everything was cool, they couldn't find our information and had to start over. We were eventually scheduled at La Mundaca, way the hell over on the Cove side, which we'd tried to avoid all week (we hate kids). I really wish we could have had it at El Greco, but that place never seemed to be open. So, we made the hike to the Cove side and waited around for nearly half an hour while the restaurant opened. They really seemed like they didn't have it together, and didn't know exactly what to do, but once we were seated and served champagne, I really didn't care. More couples showed up for their own romantic dinners, and someone started playing sax, and all was right. It turned into a lovely night, with truly excellent food. It was my fiance's birthday, so they brought him out a special little chocolate cake and we all sang. Completely adorable! :-)

Quickly, about the food: excellent. Our favorite was La Huerta, where we ate our first and last nights. The Mayan coffee was the best show of the week! Mo Mo No Hana for breakfast was perfect -- I loved all the international offerings. We ate there for dinner one time, and loved the night life, too. The pool bar can get you anything you want, and we ate lunch there almost every day. La Ventana, on the Cove side, had some delicious buffet options (though I didn't know it was a buffet until we got there -- I was waaay too dressed up for that place!), but wasn't totally worth the trek, because of all the kids and families. El Greco's lunch buffet wasn't anything to write home about, either, but we didn't mind. Really, we lived on pool food, room service and looking forward to La Huerta. :-)

The coves and inlets at ASP are beautiful, and although we never set foot in any of them, we were perfectly content to lie under some umbrellas in the Concierge beach section while drinks were brought to us. Many thanks to the beach wait staff for being so attentive and sweet. I couldn't figure out how those ladies weren't sweating to death! We spent a lot of time in the indoor pool, as no one was ever around and we like privacy. Lots of towels, someone was always manning the bars, and every person we met was helpful and patient.

We didn't participate in many of the shows, preferring to stay on the Spa side, but we did trek over to the Cove to see the Michael Jackson show. How fun! We ended up sitting with other couples we'd met and everyone had a great time. Those performers were amazing.

Special thanks have to go to Marco in the Spa lobby bar. We spent every night there with other couples and had an excellent time. He was funny, quick and made awesome drinks. Actually, Marco was the first person we told we'd gotten engaged, which happened the night of our romantic dinner! So thank you, Marco, for making our trip so memorable! I also need to thank the employees at Matis for selling us my beautiful ring (that's right, bought it in Mexico!) and helping with the paperwork and all our questions. It's perfect, and I get compliments every single day.

The best part of ASP is definitely the staff. Everyone here is sweet, friendly and helpful, and you just won't find better people. They make you feel so welcome, which is something everyone wants on vacation in another country! I miss this place already, and I can't wait to go back. Maybe for the honeymoon? ;-)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Danielle F

Thank you for your raving review. We are absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience here with us. It is excellent that you were able to use your resort credits to upgrade to concierge level and that you enjoyed our special beach area.
We are really glad to know that Marco made your stay unforgettable and that the staff at Matis helped you acquiring the perfect ring.
We would love to have the opportunity to welcome you back for your honey moon. Best regards.