“Beyond Wonderful”

Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed 2 November 2017

We went there to celebrate our first aniversary. Everything was perfect, since the first email Karla, the concierge, sent me to ask if we were celebrating anything in particular...I told her it was our first aniversary. We had a wonderful surprise when we walked in to the room and everything was decorated wonderfully! Juan Carlos welcomed us as soon as we got out of the taxi and showed us every detail of the hotel. Karla helped me arranged a surprise for my husband: a romatic and private dinner in our room, it was magical! The staff at the restaurant even helped me entertained my Husband while Karla and her team were decorating everything in our room.
I do not have enough words to thank all the team at Capella Ixtapa for these wonderful days. Totally recomend it. Food is great, service is out of this world, worth every peso I paid. DO VISIT CAPELLA IXTAPA!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ana_mariscal
Gerencia-Capella, Director General at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Appreciated guest:

We are honored that you selected Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa to celebrate your wedding anniversary. Thank you for your positive review.

In your next visit, we will create another exceptional experience for you. I will make sure to pass along your compliments to the staff to let them know about your appreciation for their service.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Javier Aluni
General Director

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Wonderful all around service and boutique hotel. I travel a lot around the world and this place hits all the boxes. Incredible location on side of a cliff. All rooms face the ocean. Every room has a personal pool and outstanding views. Service was a 10 top to bottom. Greeting from bell hop and front desk was A+, housekeeping was a 10 with them coming in 2 x day to tidy up. Restaurant service a 10. Room service fast and good. Bonus at 5pm if you are in your room after your 1st day of arrival, you get 2 small beers with guacamole and pico and chips, YUM. Just call the up every morning to heat your pool if you want it warmed. Wi-Fi was great in my room. Everything was a 10 here. Come her to fall in love with Ixtapa.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jimles7

Appreciated guest:

Thank you so much for your visit and thank you for your detailed review.
How lovely to read your comments regarding your recent stay at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa. Thank you for your comments regarding service, it is with great pleasure we can offer exceptional experiences and service, as evident by your feedback.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

Javier Aluni
General Director

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at the Capella for a week. We both enjoyed our stay but don't think that it deserves five stars as it was not a nearly flawless experience. The hotel may have better service outside of low season though. Here's a rundown of the pros and cons:

Pros:
- Beautiful rooms with stunning views and a plunge pool that can be heated upon request (great for an evening dip)
- Helpful and friendly staff (for the most part)
- Two great pools with good poolside service
- An ideal choice for couples looking to unwind and just hang out at the hotel the whole time

Cons:
- Basic service issues: asking for plates and napkins and never getting them; the poolside waiter disappearing for periods of time (possibly due to a large group but I think the hotel should have been staffed better)
- There were only two restaurants open (one for breakfast and lunch and another for dinner) during our stay. They were both OK and somewhat pricey. The lack of variety got old.
- The housekeeping staff does a great job but no one seems to have told them about the "do not disturb" setting - no matter if we pressed that for our room, they'd still ring the bell repeatedly and come in.
- Asked for the 60 minute manicure at the spa, for some reason only got the 30 minute one. It was terrible. Cuticles cut so my fingers bled, poor job filing and painting the nails.
- As it was low season, the second pool was not open

We did speak to the staff at the beginning of the stay about some of these issues and we were told the GM would speak to us about our experience and they would make it up to us. The GM did introduce himself but didn't address our complaints and the hotel did nothing to make it up to us.

Taxis to Zihua are 210 pesos each way and to Ixtapa, 130. Try and venture off site for better food.

As I said, this is a great place to just do nothing but be prepared to pay high prices.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rina M
Gerencia-Capella, Director General at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Appreciated guest:

On behalf of all the staff at Capella Ixtapa, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valuable feedback. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your room, the view and our friendly staff. On the other hand, I regret to hear you were disappointed in some aspects of your visit. We take comments of this nature very seriously as we pride ourselves on being a unique place with genuine hospitality.

I will be looking into these situations, we apologize for the negative feeling you experienced during your stay. Your feedback will help us continue to make improvement with the guest experience.

We would to love to see you again at Capella Ixtapa and have the pleasure to serve you again.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

I have traveled to 6 continents and have never before been inclined to write a review. I often read Trip Advisor posts and think to myself, "How did this reviewer come to know every staff member's name?" Well, ladies and gentleman, here is my first official TA review about how much we loved Capella Ixtapa. The staff here was so welcoming, warm, helpful, and hospitable. They greeted us by name. Connie and Nadia helped us plan activities before our arrival and were able to make suggestions of activities we didn't know were even options. Chef Ita took us to the local market and offered a personal cooking class for us! The service staff was so friendly and allowed us to repeatedly and clumsily fumble through our Spanish since we wanted to practice. When one member of our group fell ill, the entire hotel staff sprung into action and quickly helped offer all the aid we could need, checked in on us, and helped us reschedule our activities planned for that day. I don't need to tell you about the incredibly beautiful design of the hotel or the incredible views, but you will still be in awe when you arrive-- I promise! The food was delicious and service top notch. We really felt cared for and loved the local influences in the hotel's design, food, and hospitality. If this is what Capella offers at all their properties, they have found a loyal patron. Thanks for making our visit to Ixtapa so delightful.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Appreciated guest:

Thank you so much for your visit and THANK YOU for your detailed review.
How lovely to read your comments regarding your recent stay at Capella Ixtapa. Thank you for your comments regarding service, it is with great pleasure we can offer exceptional experiences and service, as evident by your feedback.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 July 2017

The Capella is a beautiful boutique hotel. My husband and I, thoroughly, enjoyed our week long stay, which included a gastronomy tour to the local food market and a Mexican culinary class with Capella's chef, Ita Abarca. She was a delight as was the rest of the staff who deserve mention..Connie (coordinated our arrival, dinners and our culinary class - always personable and professional going the extra mile for our special anniversary dinner at Kau Kan Campomar), Nadia, Francisco (who made sure we always had our towels laid out at the smaller pool, which we preferred), Claudia (who was observant of our stone game, took a picture of the stones, framed the photo in a beautiful folkloric frame as a gift), the team who left the 5:00 pm guacamole and beer snack every evening after a long day at the pool and as we enjoyed our own private pool...team as a whole headed by the GM, Philippe, was friendly, professional and always prepared to take care of every need. The hotel is perfect if you want a quiet retreat away from the hustle and bustle of every day life. The Mexican cuisine served at the hotel is excellent for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I can't say enough about this wonderful gem. My husband and I plan to return very, very soon.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rmoreno0810
Gerencia-Capella, Director General at Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Appreciated guest:

Thank you for your visit to Capella Ixtapa, we are indeed glad that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience during your stay with us and for sharing such an important celebration as your anniversary.

Thank you for your remarks and I will make sure to convey the same to the team.

We would to love to see you again at Capella Ixtapa and have the pleasure to assist you again.

Philipp Real

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixtapa
3.1 km away
Barcelo Ixtapa
#3 of 23 in Ixtapa
3.9 km away
Pacifica Resort Ixtapa

Been to Cala de Mar Resort & Spa Ixtapa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK