Gecko Rock Resort
Hotel Aldea del Bazar(Puerto Escondido)(Great Value!)
US$ 74
US$ 72
Villas Carrizalillo(Puerto Escondido)
US$ 293
US$ 223
Great 4.5/5
Hotel Santa Fe(Puerto Escondido)
US$ 116
US$ 96
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
Hotel Surf Olas Altas(Puerto Escondido)
US$ 78
US$ 76
Good 3.5/5
Hotel Rincon del Pacifico(Puerto Escondido)(Great Value!)
US$ 43
US$ 42
  • Beachfront
US$ 175
US$ 150
Very Good 4/5
Hotel Rockaway(Puerto Escondido)(Great Value!)
US$ 76
US$ 73
Hotels.com
Very Good 4/5
Hotel Suites Villasol(Puerto Escondido)(Great Value!)
US$ 115
US$ 100
Very Good 4/5
Bungalows Santa Cruz(Puerto Escondido)
US$ 99
US$ 96
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
Hotel Paraiso Escondido(Puerto Escondido)(Great Value!)
US$ 49
US$ 48
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsprime timerelaxing vacationmezcal tastingoff the beaten pathour honeymoonprivate rooftopvegan vegetarianwonderful hoststhree meals a daythanks mikedrinking margaritasboat ridesecluded beachperfect combinationrelax poolsiderural mexicowaves crash
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

There are almost too many great things to say about Gecko Rock. I'll start by saying that your stay at Gecko Rock is what you make it. If you want to hideout and never leave... you can certainly do that. If you want to walk the beach and eat at local restaurants you can do that... If you want to see the sights and relax poolside in the afternoon... you can do that too. Gecko Rock is a resort without hustle and bustle, its like a B&B with sunshine and ocean, its like being in the Mexican wilderness with all the comforts of beautiful resort. We found it to be perfect for us.

I've eaten at Michelin star rated establishments and the food at Gecko Rock is every bit as good and far less pretentious.

We chose Gecko Rock for our wedding and Mike and Aileen made the day uncommonly great (as unique as it is excellent). The food, the photographer, the setting and care giving to every detail was superb.

I could go on for another 1000 words but I will stop here.... Gecko Rock is special. So special we have already re-booked.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KaosK
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I decided to spend the most important day of our lives with Gecko Rock and I can honestly say this was the best decision ever! I have never had better service from a resort big or small. The owners are very attentive to detail, the resort feels exotic, exclusive and private and the food was exquisite. I’m pretty picky when it comes to customer service and this place was exceptional in every way. From the help with travel arrangements to and from our outside excursions like whale and dolphin watching to the extreme amount of care that went into making our wedding day perfect, I have absolutely nothing but positive things to share about our stay. If you are looking for a truly memorable and unque wedding destination or honeymoon that is picture perfect, this is the destination for you! The photographer they connected us with was amazing, the cake was both delicious and stunning and the hosted dinner was flavorful and generously portioned. We had a very intimate wedding and every detail was perfect! The drinks were a favorite! Watermelon Basil margaritas and banana daiquiris were among a meriad if choices. The owners specialize in blending local flavors with their various travel experience to give the dishes a unque fusion flavor that is taylored to your personal preferences. Staying on the resort property is relaxing. Enjoying both pool and beach or you can venture 15 minutes down the beach to playa Agua Blanca to experience to local cuisine in person. The locals are very friendly and the food was amazing! Coconut shrimp was out of this world! We divided our time on and off the resort so we could explore. I would definitely suggest this because this part of Mexico is worth getting out and experiencing. Meals off the resort were so inexpensive and the shopping was incredible. I found many treasures we brought home on one of our excursions to the art district. Weather you speak Spanish fluently or almost none, this is a destination you can’t miss! I could go on for hours about what a wonderful time we had. I hope if you are considering this place that you choose to stay because it is a fantastic overall experience!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeBe K
Reviewed 6 March 2018

I'm not a large resort person or a resort person at all so I was looking for an off the beaten track place in Mexico and I found Gecko Rock. At the end of a bumpy dirt road lies this green,tranquil oasis.
The resort is beautiful. There are hammocks to hang out in and the one's on the rooftops are handmade and feel like a comfy smooth towel. You'll spend a lot of time under the palapa as that is where the food and drinks are served. It's perfect for an afternoon nap. At night, the geckos come out and provide entertainment!
The food is fantastic and served by the ever sociable Mike. Mike and Aileen have lots of pets and you'll hear Prime Time barking greetings to whoever passes by. The weather does get warm so a dip in the pool is a wonderful way to cool off.
The nearby beach is deserted and if you take a left and walk for a bit you end up in Agua Blanca which is a fishing village. Great seafood although you may need to brush up on your Spanish!
I highly recommend doing some of the excursions that Mike can set up. We checked out Mazunte, an awesome surfer town, and also the lagoon near Ventanilla. We also visited Puerto Escondido for a chocolate tasting and got to sample some really good Oaxacan cuisine. Another must do is the Mezcal tasting.
Mike and Aileen are wonderful hosts and the resort feels more like an intimate B&B rather than a typical resort.
The rooms are really nice and come with A/C if you need to escape the sub-tropical humidity. Each room has a different theme, all hand painted by Aileen.
If you like off the beaten track travel and don't want the crowds and noise of touristy resorts, Gecko Rock is for you. You can be as busy or as relaxed as you want to be.
I'm likely going back next year!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are awesome!
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank CZMFan
Reviewed 20 February 2018

My wife and I stayed at this lovely resort from January 25 - February 1, 2018. It was a week of pure rest (we were spoiled and had the resort to ourselves). Everything you'll read in the other reviews hold true - Aileen's fantastic food, Mike's great help and service, and fun conversation, pure peace and quiet, and catering things to your own preferences (doing as much or as little as you'd like). One of my favourite things to do was sit in a hammock on the rooftop area and look at the stars. The ocean nearby is a bit rough, but not too far down (heading to the left) there's an area you can be in that's safer. The rougher water made from some great background noise though. We had the beach area we walked to (off to the right) completely to ourselves when we went, with nobody else around for the couple hours we were there. Nobody bothering you to buy anything, no sales stuff, just you and the ocean.

It was nice not to have blaring music and rowdy people around during the day like at the corporate resorts, and the nights were warm with nothing but animal, insect, and ocean sounds that just made things seem so calm and timeless. My wife said that her "brain felt broken" before we left (too long without a vacation, haha), and that our week there "fixed it." The only decision you really have to make is "when do you want your next meal?" within a couple hours spread of time.

The drive from Huatulco make for a bit of a longer travel day, but our driver, Mario, drove very safely (we arrived in the evening). He offered to stop at an Oxxo on the way if we needed as well. I recommend you take out some pesos at the airport (you have to kind of go back into the departures area) if you don't have any on hand, as the nearest ATM is 1/2 hour away once you're at the resort.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BDRAlberta
Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

The property is small, secluded and beautiful. The owners, Mike and Aileen, work very hard to make sure your trip is as busy or quiet as you want it to be. And the food...oh my goodness the food!!

We’ve been looking for decades to find a place we could be happy returning to year after year. This is it. Best vacation ever.

If lying in a hammock on the roof of your own casita, listening to the Pacific surf and watching more stars than you’ve seen in your life sounds like a vacation, look no further.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family