Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Wild rainforest, eco farming - if you love nature this is the best of Barbados!

Reviewed 5 days ago
Resort318000
A fascinating project, well worth visiting

Reviewed 1 week ago

Monkey Feeding
2 Reviews
from US$ 54.00
More Info
All reviews coco hill fruit the owner eggs public transport trees and plants few hours fresh air farm to table pineapple at home spend an afternoon his passion bay leaf sustainable farming guided tour forest
Reviewed 5 days ago

Yesterday we had the best experience we have had on our three visits to this Island. Whilst we enjoy tropical gardens, this is nature in the wild (don't visit if you want concrete paths and tidy borders or do visit to open your mind, but wear proper shoes!). Mahmoud's land is part wild rainforest, under his care, being allowed to return/remain in its natural glory and part rainforest planted to grow fruit trees, bush medicine and spice plants etc. . Much of the produce ends up on the table of his cafe on the East of the Island. Mahmoud's small tours are splendid with information and he conveys his passion and mission, for the heritage of Barbados' wild areas and food production that is local and environmentally sound. So, if you love nature in its more wild form, are interested in ecology and environmentalism this is the best you will find on the Island. If you just want to spend time in a wild rainforest this is also for you, but as i said above wear walking shoes and don't expect laid out paths. It felt a privilege to be given an insight into Mahmoud's important work and to spend a couple of hours in what felt like real Barbados!

2  Thank Resort318000
Reviewed 1 week ago

The owner, Mahmood, gave us a private tour of his 53 acre forest estate, patiently explaining his vision for sustainable development of this amazing area. His plan to use permaculture to grow fruit and vegetables, together with medicinal plants and herbs is coming together, and although it is obviously a long term vision we have no doubt that he will achieve his aim. The forest is in a beautiful setting and his tour is completely different from anything else we have experienced in the 20 years we have been coming to Barbados.

As yet there are few facilities or refreshments available at the Coco Hill Forest, but these wil surely come. Do visit.

1  Thank AnnieOak
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Mood (owner) and Romanus made us feel very welcome and spent 2 1/2 hours showing us their vision for sustainable farming in the most fantastic scenery we've seen on the island away from the beaches.

It's a brilliant idea, we learnt lots (and my wife was able to give Mood some from her forestry research days) and we wish them all the best as the try to help a bit towards Barbados getting better food security and sustainability.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Best perhaps to call ahead of time, but when we arrived on spec Romanus kindly downed tools to show us around. A feast for nature lovers' and foodies' senses as well as a great opportunity to hear more about Barbados and challenges linked to land erosion and sustainable farming goals. Really hope this project goes from strength to strength - passion & purpose in abundance!

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

As regular visitors to Barbados my husband & I have been to almost every attraction there is on the island so we were very happy to this included in the new addition of the 'in and our' tourist guide.

What a brilliant place and a fantastic day out. We did the guided one hour walk which was so interesting, especially for a food lover and cook like myself. The whole project is so interesting and worth while, the aim being to demonstrate that Barbados can produce a lot more of its own food by trying different farming techniques. Along the walk we tried numerous herbs (mint, sorrel, tarragon, rosemary) as well as smelling plenty of others. The guided tour was so informative and I learnt that there are a lot of things that can be grown in barbados that currently aren't, coffee for example.

There is also a 2 hour tour that you can do which takes you into the natural forest which we were advised is a bit more strenuous, this might be one for a day when I'm not wearing sandles.

This really something different for barbados and exciting to see / hear these sorts of ideas. Great day that I would highly recommend. Some absolutely stunning views as well - oh and couple of cute kittens!!

1  Thank Nikk19_84
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

This was an awesome and educational hike. Mr. Patel was very informative, the forest has a great view and the atmosphere is cool and refreshing. Can't wait for the second phase of his project when his wonderful herbs are available for purchase, looking forward to starting a kitchen garden thanks to Mr. Patel.

Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

This hiking/ walking tour through the forest/ fruit garden is a must do for every nature lover. Sustainable farming at its best. If you stay at the owners holiday apartments in Christ Church you will be picked up from there. Get to know and sample different herbs/ plants like ginger and aloe vera. I would love to go again!

1  Thank Chary T
Reviewed 1 July 2018

Mood greeted us as we arrived at Coco Hill Forest, he showed us all the beautiful plants along the trail. We stopped to smell, taste, and hear stories about the plans and the forest. As we reached the peak of our journey, there was an amazing surprise of natural splendour (I won't spoil the surprise for you) and we sat for some time enjoying the tranquillity that the forest offers. On our hike back we foraged some coconuts and fueled up, and we all went home with pockets of fresh herbs from bay leaf to ginger!

I also bought some eggs, as the chickens have a very nice life (ordinarily I would not buy eggs, being unsure of the conditions the animals are kept).

1  Thank Tessa S
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Coco Hill Forest was recommended to me by a friend and I’m so glad I contacted them via Facebook to arrange a visit. They were extremely helpful especially in giving me details of how to get to Coco Hill by public transport (3W ZR minivan from Bridgetown, and ask them to put you off on the road that takes you to Coco Hill and the Flower Forrest). The roads were well signposted.

I arrived over an hour early. It was the best hour that I’ve spent in a long while just sitting on a bench in the forest with a view to die for, listening to the creaking bamboos in the wind and breathing in the fresh air (I put my phone away). Definitely a great way to de-stress.

As a solo traveller I joined two other guests and our knowledgeable guide, Romanus, took us on a 2 hour guided trek. I live in a city so this was enlightening (sustainable farming) and he shared so much information and happily answered our questions. He also let us sample/smell the herbs and edible plants (turmeric, bay leaf, lemon grass, mint, ginger etc) and I’m sure if the monkeys hadn’t already eaten the mangoes, we’d probably gone home with a handful.

Well worth the price of the trek. It rained during the tour and Romanus was willing to go and get us umbrellas but it was nice just to feel and hear the rain.

I recommend a good pair of walking shoes or trainers as it can get slippy and muddy.

Well worth a visit to Coco Hill, one of Barbados’ hidden gems.

2  Thank Michelle W
Reviewed 20 June 2018

I went to check out Coco Hill and absolutely fell in love. It's a wild, natural sanctuary that invites you on a whimsical journey through the lush jungles of Barbados. Everything you see is in its natural state, but the paths are easy to follow and hike. From the lookout to the bamboo garden, pineapple farm, and all other cozy nooks, there's lots that will just take your breath away. If you're looking for a garden/nature experience that feels more down-to-earth (literally) and less sculpted, but equally stunning, this is your place. Mood and Romanus are great hosts who can educate you on the land, and their vision for more sustainable agricultural and a farm-to-table experience. Just go, it's so so worth it.

1  Thank Kelly B