“Lovely lunch”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 February 2018

This place has improved over the last few years, very clean ,good service, made very welcome , nice pint of tribute and excellamt mussels

StAustellManagement, Manager at The Hope and Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2018

Thank you for your kind words, we are thrilled that you are still visiting us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 4 February 2018

Since the revamp this pub seems to have lost all of its charm and warmth. You're now ushered away from the bar, to a table, as soon as you walk in the door so there's no drinking at the bar, meeting locals and chatting to the bar staff. The staff all wear headsets to communicate with each other like they're working at All Bar One in Leicester Square on a Saturday night in August, even in February when there are barely eight people in the whole pub. There's no sense of community and no feeling of warmth anymore, it feels clinical and sad. Plus, it was nearly £9 for two drinks! London prices in the middle of rural Devon. I miss the old days.

8  Thank JulietMayne
Reviewed 29 January 2018

The wind was virtually blowing our eyeballs round so we popped into the pub for some respite. Hubby had a soft drink and me a long awaited Salcombe gin n tonic. Staff are friendly, bar is clean and for a Saturday in the winter it was nice and busy with diners, the sign of a good place. The dog is welcome so this always wins points with me. We will certainly be coming here again as Hope Cove is one of my favourite places in the whole world.

StAustellManagement, Manager at The Hope and Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2018

Thak you for your lovely review, we are delighted you enjoyed your time with us albeit a little windy and we look forward to welcoming you back to your most favourited place.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

Lovely meal friendly staff couldn't have been more helpful. We were staying at a nearby hotel which was awful and it was such a pleasure to eat at this lovely pub they made us feel so welcome and nothing was too much trouble. We asked if they had an available room which unfortunately they hadn't which i think says it all. Next time we visit Hope Cove we will book in there. I would thoroughly recommend a visit as the food is wonderful.

StAustellManagement, Manager at The Hope and Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2018

Thank you for leaving this lovely review. We are thrilled you enjoyed all the aspects of your visit. We hope to see you back again!

Reviewed 13 January 2018

I took a day trip to Hope Cove and after a walk, popped into the pub for a pint of ale. I stood at the bar and the barman didn't even acknowledge my presence and then when I did get served, he was unfriendly, formal and I felt like walking out. I held my ground and asked for a sample of a couple of beers and the look I got was one of a frowned face. I took my chosen drink, paid and sat outside. It was not the service or experience I was expecting when arriving at a very beautiful village.

3  Thank 413gailg