17 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 25/08/22
JW Marriott
$478
Free cancellation until 27/08/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
ZenHotels.com
$300
Booking.com$440
Hotels.com$489
Lol.travel$599
1,706 results
All reviews griffin club cafe des artistes los cabos salt water pool adult pool san jose flora farms platinum member beautiful property swim up bar food and drinks breakfast buffet rental car ocean view private pool minute drive fitness center
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 September 2019

We booked a trip to this property on the spur of the moment to celebrate my wife's promotion, upon our arrival we were greeted by stunning views of a truly beautiful property, check in was flawless and we were given a room with sweeping views of the grounds, pools and ocean. The staff at the pools were great and quickly knew us by name, all provided outstanding service, Jose (food service mgr.) , Roberto , Gustavo, Alain, Reuben, and Fernando all were always ready when we needed anything, cold beer, Pina colada , cold towel. When we checked in we met Hazel , concierge on duty, she introduced herself and offered to help with any needs we might have, upon being informed of my wife's reason to celebrate, she had a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room, we were both deeply touched by this gesture. Several days into our stay my wife became very ill and at 3:30 am it became clear she would need to be taken to a hospital, in a panic I went to the main desk where I found Samantha, words cannot describe how great she was dealing with this emergency, transport, wheelchair to the room, took complete control. After a 36 hour stay she was released but in need of multiple prescriptions, all of which were ordered by Christina and delivered to the hotel. We have been all over the world, can honestly never remember a staff like this, absolutely first rate. Our deepest thanks to the JW Marriott and its world class staff. See you all very soon.

Room tip: C building, upper floors
1  Thank Gunner62
yasbekebisu, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2019

Dear @Gunner62,

Reviews such as your reinforce our sense of purpose which is satisfaying our guest needs. A lot of effort was put into creating an attractive hotel from a design and art stand point, and a luxury service experience with our friendly staff and it is so nice to learn that we accomplished our goal of exceeding your expectations. Our associated are very happy to now you were pleased with their service and look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 September 2019

The resort and grounds were very nice and we had a pleasant stay, for the most part. As a Titanium member, I was upgraded to an ocean view room, which was very nice. The front desk staff was great.

Throughout the stay, however, I felt as if the staff's primary directive was to squeeze as much money from us as humanly possible. During our ONE NIGHT STAY, we had four experiences that led us to this conclusion.

1. We were offered a buy one get one free special on local craft beers. I ordered two of these beers, assuming they would be otherwise reasonably priced, if somewhat inflated since we were at a resort. When the bill arrived, I was charged for both beers at $15 each ($30 total). Only when I pointed this out to the server did he acknowledge that we should have been charged for only one. Normally, I would excuse this as an honest mistake, but the rest of the trip makes me suspicious.
2. My wife overheard a server in the pool area say to another server (in Spanish) that one of the guests is drunk and asked for a drink, so get him something really good like the Mexican Mule. A quick look at the menu confirmed that this is the single most expensive cocktail they serve (somehow, just $1 more than the aforementioned beer at $16 USD).
3. I later ordered another two beers, willing to swallow the $15 dollars that a buy one get one free order would entail (even though $15 is insane to pay for a 12 oz bottle of beer). By the way, no prices were listed anywhere for the beers, so I naively expected this one to be the same. When the bill arrived, I learned that this 12 oz bottle of local IPA cost $22 USD! This is the most expensive beer I have ever seen in my entire life, and I have ordered craft beer in over 20 countries and 30 US states. Pure insanity.
4. At dinner, the server asked if we would like a bottle of water to start. After the experiences I noted above, I was afraid this would be outrageously priced, as well, so I requested a menu to check. I found that a 750 ML bottle of water would be $4 and a 1 L bottle would be $5. Great, I ordered the 1 L bottle. When the bill arrived, I was charged $9 USD for a 750 ML bottle. When I asked the server how this could be, he dropped his head and explained that he had brought the "premium" water, not the cheaper water that was on the menu. He did not offer to charge the lesser amount. I just paid and decided I would never return to this particular hotel.

I am not cheap. I am perfectly willing to pay reasonable amounts for things. But I do not appreciate being treated as a foolish, naive tourist ripe for the taking. Shame on the staff and/or management.

p.s., I also did not appreciate discovering upon arrival that the beach is permanently closed because it is dangerous. No mention of this anywhere. Very disappointing.

Date of stay: September 2019
7  Thank jerholc
MiguelMestas, General Manager at JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2019

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for choosing to stay at the JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa and sharing your travel experience with the TripAdvisor Community.

Providing the highest level of hospitality is our number one priority and we sincerely apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations. The experience you described is not characteristic of the level of service our associates strive to provide. As a teachable moment, we have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure the necessary guidelines are in place to prevent the incidences you mentioned from occurring in the future. Please receive our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences presented.

We look forward to hosting you once again in the near future when your travels bring you back to sunny Los Cabos.

Miguel Mestas

Reviewed 2 September 2019

Upgraded large room and huge balcony with amazing views!
The hospitality and service was the best we have ever had. Modern architectural marvel! Lots of different spots to visit and experience each day on grounds. Hotel is very peaceful and quiet, the design creates privacy and clean lines.

Date of stay: August 2019
yasbekebisu, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2019

Dear @Navigate795077,

The architecture is one of the aspects to enjoy at the JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa. The prevailing idea is to frame all the views and for the property to have a sense of belonging, of being part of the natural enviroment, instead of having been imposed on the land. Please visit us again, to also enjoy our many amenities.

Reviewed 30 August 2019

Luxury hotel in the outskirts of San Jose del Cabo. Breathtaking views on the adjacent (not swimable) beach. Great system of swimming pools inside the hotel premises. Beautiful rooms, very attentive personnel. Mostly great hotel. But all the side services were so expensive ... Maybe the problem is that we got our room under a discount rate because of low season and we were not willing to splurge for every single item. But we found appalling that the breakfast buffet was 30 USD per person per day, Wifi in the room was 17 USD per day, and so on. It was not dramatic, as we soon learned how to get provisions in town, accessible through a 80 Mexican pesos Uber ride. Even cheaper than the hotel shuttle service for three people, by the way. But it is a tiresome background to an otherwise very enjoyable experience.

3  Thank Caminant
Ernesto Alfonsin, Otro at JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2020

Dear Caminant,

We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us, at JW Marriott los Cabos we have the commitment to provide memorable experiences and explore all the senses of all our guest providing meal services that be according to the expectations of our guests. The Wifi in the room it is a complimentary benefit for all our Bonvoy member, we invite you to join us to the biggest membership around the world to have this and more benefits in all the portfolio of Marriott Brands. We truly appreciate the time that you took to write this feedback that improves us to continue working hard day by day to have more happy customers like you on property.

We will be expecting you soon,

Ernesto Alfonsin
Reservations & E-commerce Manager

Reviewed 26 August 2019 via mobile

I am currently into my first day of a week at this property and think we will have to leave early to another hotel. In the first 24 hours these are some facts and my observations:

1. it is low season with occupancy near 20% this week
2. Staffing is also extremely low. It’s easy to be in a pool alone at this time with no service in sight. On two occasions we couldn’t get towels or service as no one was around or came by.

3. CONTEXT: I am a frequent traveler with 130 nights accrued so far this year with Marriott Bonvoy, which means I have reached their highest reward status. I was supposed to be upgraded to a suite with a connecting room. I was told it would occur on our second day as none were available upon arriving -despite it being quite desolate here. I’m traveling with two young kids and my mom who is in her 80,s with Alzheimer’s. I had explained all of this prior to arriving. When it was time to move to our suite, the 2.5 hour process led to a beautiful suite with no connecting room. That was unfortunate as we couldn’t leave my mom alone with Alzheimer’s which the hotel knew. The afternoon was kind of spoiled by this as our kids were starving and exhausted during the fiasco.

4. CONFUSED STAFF & CLIENTS: As an elite member in their loyalty program we have benefits that usually includes free breakfast. This property has some confusing rules whereby the free breakfast is quite limited but can be converted to a discount for the brunch. We were first told it was for a 20% discount. Then we were told it was for $20 per person and then told it was for 50% off. It’s quite clear that no one really knows what the hotels policy is for titanium elites (reward members).

5. When we arrived we were greeted warmly and had a lovely lunch. We were urged to come back today (for the Sunday brunch). We were told it was special and not to be missed. We asked again in the morning what the policy was for elite members and were told to expect to pay $20 each but that my mom would pay full price and only one child would be complementary. This was the fourth inconsistent description.

In addition, the rewards benefits don’t appear to apply to all guests under my reservation which is odd, but fine.

6. UNPROFESSIONAL: when we showed up for brunch we were told it ended in 11 min (at 10:00 am). The waiter (Omar) also said I couldn’t enjoy the brunch if we didn’t provide the vouchers immediately to him. I explained that if I ran to the room we would miss breakfast. He said that was the policy. I asked if he could charge full price if we didn’t show the vouchers and he didn’t seem to understand. My wife ended up running to get him the voucher. As we scoffed our breakfast we learned that was not the brunch we were told about.

7. We were told the brunch would start at 10:30 which included free kids and a much nicer and wider selection of food and included champagne and other drinks and ran until 4pm. We were also told the upgrade option for elites discounted that brunch. We were really disappointed we were rushed and mistreated to miss the brunch we sought.

8. Furthermore, our server had been insensitive and rude to my mother, in her 80,s with Alzheimer’s and she too was even more confused with the mixed signals and changing options and prices. We didn’t want her to feel excluded as our guest but it seemed the hotel wanted to make sure she didn’t qualify for any perks.

9. The waiter was proactive to make us feel unwelcome and extremely passive to serve us. When I asked for the bill it never came. The kids were getting inpatient. I had my mom and children go to the pool as I stayed behind waiting. Eventually I had to use the restroom. Until I was entering the bathroom the waiter appeared again chasing me down the stairs that lead to the bathroom. He couldn’t accept or allow me to use the restroom. He insisted that I return to pay. I explained that I needed to use the bathroom, that there was no secret escape fo the bathroom to avoid paying the bill and that he had our vouchers which included the room number so there was no way I could leave without paying even if that was my intent (offensive approach, but irrational too). He acted as if he was dealing with a dumb delinquent. I had to convince him that stealing the breakfast wasn’t possible, but going to the bathroom was necessary.

10. I wrote about this to the hotel as It happened and never heard back, which is partly what compelled me to wrote this review (while here). Before giving up I also spoke to someone at the front desk and after a long wait his only response to me was that I could go back to the restaurant to enjoy the brunch and pay again, and full price. The entire point was missed about professional service without misleading clients or treating us poorly. It’s certainly low season around here in every respect and it looks like training is also desperately needed.

Trip type: Travelled with family
9  Thank 216jaya
MiguelMestas, General Manager at JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2019

Dear Valuable Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write the review while at the Resort. The experience you described is not characteristic of the level of service our associates strive to provide. Your comments have been shared with the Area Managers involved in order to take immediate actions.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns regarding the fulfillment of Marriott Bonvoy Member benefits at our hotel. We apologize for any miscommunication or misunderstanding that may have occurred. We do honor all benefits for our very much appreciated members. Benefits at resorts are different from city hotels and are defined in the terms and conditions of the program.

While it may be perceived as an individual hotel decision, with thousands of hotels worldwide within the Marriott family of hotels, it is essential for all JW Marriott hotels to be in full compliance with the terms and conditions of the Marriott Bonvoy program, to guarantee benefits and expectations are fulfilled in an identical manner at all hotels and resorts thereby strengthening and maintaining the integrity of the program. We appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Please feel free to contact our Guest Experience Manager, Juan Ocampo, at the Front Desk who will assist you with your concerns and will do his best to fulfilled your expectations.

Miguel Mestas