“You Must Read This!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Hayward, California
“You Must Read This!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I want to help people fully understand Bel Air Resort in Cabo, and the things that you should be aware of before you book a stay at Bel Air. I would encourage you to read the other reviews if this is the first review your reading. You will notice that some people have glowing reviews while there are some that have several complaints. The Bulk of the complaints are from people that were placed in the "Old Building." I stayed in both the new and old building so I can tell you there is quite a difference. If you are placed in the new building you will love your stay. If you are placed in the old building than you will be disappointed.

Allow me to illustrate Bel Air Collection. Imagine you book a trip staying at the W hotel. Your excited to stay in a nice place (Hey you paid for it.) Little did you know that there is a Motel 6 right next door to The W Hotel. So the W Hotel buys the Motel 6 and slaps a sign on it that Says "W Hotel." You get your room and find that its not what you thought, its not the pictures that they advertise, it's not even the same building, put the pieces together and realize that they are trying to pull a fast one on you.

This is basically what they try to do with only some people, or in the busy season if the new building is too full than guess where the overflow goes to? That's right in the old building, the building that you didn't pay for. The old building was bought by Bel Air Collection, it used to be called Playa Del Sol. Here is the real issue, we called and emailed in advance to request to be put in the "new building" they told us this is only a request and you get what you get. So with that said, Why would you book a stay at a nice resort with even the slightest chance that they will stick you in a old, next to the highway totally different from the building you paid for? There are tons of resorts there, so why not pick a resort that you will for sure get what you pay for?

So how do you know that what I am saying is really legitimate? I will be posting pictures of the "Old building" AKA Playa Del Sol. Once you see the pictures than you can decide for yourself.
Also I believe that the old tripadvisor review for Playa Del Sol has been taken down, if you can find it online that may be informative as well for you.

Room Tip: New building is great, olding building will disappoint you.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
28 Thank James B
BelairCabos, Director General at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear James :

Thank you very much for your review. We believe you have a unique point of view regarding the hotel, as you’ve had the chance of staying in both of our buildings. As you noticed, there are differences in style, décor, and facilities between our ocean front Palmilla building and our La Jolla building. During the late part of last year, serious renovations were made in the Palmilla building, as well in the La Jolla Building. with the same equipment and facilities, Some of those renovations are still under way, as you show in your pictures, with 2 new brand penthouses. We strive to accommodate every special request from our guests, but sometimes our occupancy levels dictate room assignment. in both buildings. We are positive that, for your next visit, you will be very much pleased with what we’ve done with the property.

Thanks again for your review, we hope to see you back soon.

Sincerely.

Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Longmont, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I have to say, this was one of the cleanest resorts I have ever been to. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The young man serving champagne in the evening hour was very sweet. We had a blast hanging by the pool and the beach. The beach vendors are not so bad, especially when compared to Cabo san Lucas. A couple of them crossed the ropes and came right up to my lounger and woke me up, which did not make me happy, but for the most part, they weren't so bad. We met a lot of friendly people around the fire pit each night including a guy who opened a nearby bar called The G Bar. We never did find it to visit, but I hope he does well, he was a crack up.

Yes the rooms are small and paper thin and I can hear conversations going on in the room next door, but we didn't spend that much time in the room anyway, and the sounds of the waves drowned them out.

Our favorite places to eat were at The Tropicana, Guacamayas, Shooters and Sardina's. Unfortunately, our least favorite was dinner at the Bel Air. Although we did order lunch by the pool and their fries are very good. The bartender during the happy hour was very attentive. It was our favorite time of day.

The downside for us is that we came to Bel Air because our friends let us have their timeshare for just the cost of the maintenance. Our friends who came with us paid more than a hundred dollars less than we did through Expedia and they got the same exact room, right beneath us. I think timeshare owners should at least be guaranteed an ocean view, which we were only lucky enough to get once we got there.

Overall, I would definitely recommend San Jose del Cabo and the Bel Air if you are visiting Mexico. We always felt safe and I just about gave up on Mexico for vacations till now. Thank you to the Bel Air staff for making our trip so much fun and free of stress.

Room Tip: Request a room on the left hand side corner of the new building for a view of the sunrise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jasmestas86
BelairCabos, Director General at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
We are pleased to know you enjoyed our beautiful resort. Thank you for the kind words. Our team is always pleased to know they've exceeded guest expectations, as they work extremely hard to make each guest experience unforgettable. We look forward to welcoming you back to Bel Air Cabos for your next stay.

Hasta Pronto !!!

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed the first week of April and had a really great time. I'd go back in a heartbeat as long as I could have our awesome oceanfront room. It really made our vacation to sit out with on the balcony and watch the whale and her baby, the surfers, and just relax in our own space. The rooms are nice, spacious, and the bed is very comfortable. Our only complaint room wise is the lack of hot water in the shower. Most days the shower was luke warm with one day actually being ice cold. Regardless, we enjoyed ourselves and would like to go back. We liked that the resort is small, had very friendly staff, close to San Jose(cheap taxi $5), close to a bus stop to take the public bus into Cabo (about $3 person), and close to Sardina Cantina(yeah!).

A couple of tips; there are purified water and ice machines on every other floor; we used Victor's Cabo Transportation for airport pickup and it includes a 30 minute Mega(grocery store) stop which was really helpful to stock up on beverages and snacks, plus he gave us tips and info; we went on a super fishing trip with JC's Sportfishing, and Bel Air helped us book a great snorkel trip with High Tide Seas Expeditions.

We are already planning our next trip...we hope that they will have a better process for guaranteeing an oceanview room. We requested it in writing and were told it was first come first serve, then called and was told all 1 bedrooms are ocean view(which is what we booked). But when we checked in 3 hours before rooms were even available, they couldn't tell us if we were actually getting an oceanview until they issued our keys. For some people having an oceanview is simply a bonus. For us, it was important because we prefer to sit on the balcony rather than the beach or pool. Glad it worked out for us and we had a very nice week at Bel Air!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah S
BelairCabos, Director General at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
As General Manager of Bel Air Los Cabos I really appreciate my client’s observations. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments and experiences about your resent stay.

Your oppinion gives us the occasion to situate our areas of improvement and work upon them. Have the certainty that we will continue improving our facilities.

One of the aspects that are emblematic for Bel Air Colecction is the personalized and attentive service.

Thank you again for the time you took to present your journey experiences. We hope to see you back soon in your home away from home to pamper you.

Best Regards

ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

This was the first time that my wife and I visited San Jose del Cabo and the Bel Air Resort & Spa property. My sister and brother-in-law are time share owners at this property and they have tried for years to get us to come but we always have gone to Cancun. What a welcomed surprise on our visit. This is a small property consisting of less than 100 rooms, two swimming pools, restaurant, and bar/lounge and fitness center. The property is situated on the beach which is adorned with nice beach furniture. Check in was fast and easy in our two bedroom suite with kitchenette. The rooms are nicely appointed and all had received new paint. Our room had two balconies with a nice view overlooking the beach. The beds were great with pillow top mattress which made for a great sleeping.
There was a lot of remolding going on during our visit; the main swimming pool was down for retiling, the exterior was being painted and the fitness room was being remolded. The fitness room was still open but the pool was closed. The biggest disappointment was that Bel Air did not advise us of the pool being closed until our arrival.

The property was clean and the beach area was raked daily. They offered a free continental breakfast each morning but it was like at 6:00 way to early. We went fishing one day and were lucky to catch a nice size fish for dinner. The restaurant prepared it for us that consisted of an appetizer, salad, and main entrée. Dinner was very good and all for roughly $15.00 each. Rest of the time we ate at the local restaurants or snacked in the room. This is the first time vacationing in Mexico that my wife and I did not stay at an all-inclusive property. With that being said I was very surprised at how affordable it was to eat at the local restaurants. There is a Mega store right down the road, similar to a Wal-Mart where you can buy groceries items, and adult beverages.

I would recommend renting a vehicle so you can see the area. San Jose del Cabo is more spread out than Cancun and most of the areas we visited were not within walking distance. Cancun has a great public bus transportation system but I did not see much of that in San Jose del Cabo. The rental car made the trip more enjoyable. If you are looking for night life and a lot of people than I would recommend staying at Los Cabos because San Jose del Cabo is very laid back and quiet.

When asked to compare San Jose del Cabo to Cancun; two things come to mind, the weather is less humid more of a desert climate Cancun is more tropic and Cancun is about 10 years ahead on development in terms of big hotels and tourist attractions.

Our room came with a stocked refrigerator with beer, pop and water, but beware they charge for these and I did not see anything in the room stating this. It would be nice if they had an ice machine available for the guests. If you need ice they charge about $4.00 per bag.

Looking back on our trip we should have gone sooner, we are definitely returning next year. We look forward to see how the finished remolding has turned out and to visit the special places to eat and enjoy the beauty of San Jose del Cabo.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach the sound of the waves crashing at night was a soothing as rain hitt...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Deercreek
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. Your opinion is very important to us.

We are very happy that your experience was an overall pleasant one, as you visited us during a very challenging time for our property, with all the remodeling going on. Of course, these improvements were made to have better facilities and experiences for our guests in the future. You will notice this on you next visit with us this year! We have added new services and amenities, which we know you’ll enjoy.

As to your notes and recommendations, we couldn’t agree more:

a. The weather in Los Cabos is significantly drier than in Cancún, as we are more of a desert climate. This makes the heat more bearable during the summer

b. The pubic transportation in Los Cabos is not nearly as efficient and comprehensive as in Cancún, so renting a car (available in the hotel) is the best option to get around and enjoy all our beautiful destination has to offer

c. The assortment of restaurants in Los Cabos is very wide, so you can enjoy meal at different places during your stay, all of them with very high quality. In the hotel, we have begun to have 3 theme nights (Tepanyaki Friday, Grill Saturday and Italian Sunday every week), as well as our A La Carte dinner menus; our Sushi and Martini bar is also a great option for rolls and drinks with a amazing ocean view at Nautica bar.

d. As to the ice, we have now installed a couple of machines in the Palmilla building for your convenience, floors 2 & 4.

We will be very pleased to greet you again here in your “home away from home”.

Hasta Pronto !!!!!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012 via mobile

I am an actual member of this resort when I purchase in 2007. Finally took the time to come this year to see how the new resort turned out. Very disappointed about what happened during the buildout and the takeover by Belair. I booked a 2 bedroom triple lock off for sox persons to arrive and find that they only booked one room for our party. We all had to split up the first night until the lock off unit was available. For boasting a four star rating we found the facilities to be substandard. Spa was a simple room with translucent curtains and the gym had two pieces of equipment. The new spa never got built as promised. The DVD player wa sitting on the back of the couch and not even on a shelf. The one good thing I can say is that our maid service was top notch and she took extra care for cleaning since we had a baby in our group. I will not go back to my home resort ever and will exchange my weeks from this point forward.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Rebecca H
BelairCabos, Director General at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us earlier this year. We are truly sorry that you did not have your expectations met during your stay. There are many ongoing projects that are advancing on schedule to improve both the facilities and the services within the resort; one of our first priorities, which you yourself mentioned, was the Housekeeping department, with added staff and improved amenities.

We feel sure that, should you give us a second chance, you will be very much pleased with your investment in your membership at our hotel. We will look forward to having you again next year, so you can do a “before and after” experiment.

Best Regards.