“This is a must-visit”
Review of Misaki

Misaki
Reviewed 23 January 2021 via mobile

This is a must-visit when you stay at the Solaz! If there weren’t other restaurants to try, we would have eaten here every night. The ambiance was so calming and the food was incredible, not to mention affordable. We had 2 cocktails each from their signature menu and they were so unique. For appetizers we had the shrimp croquettes, gyozas, and edamame. Each one was better than the last! We ordered our waiter’s recommended sushi rolls and quickly decided it was the best sushi we’ve ever eaten. For dessert, we had the matcha tiramisu - so unique and flavorful. The service was top notch and we were shocked when the bill came - 4 cocktails, 3 appetizers, 3 sushi rolls, and dessert came to $120. We easily would have paid double considering the quality and experience. So far, this was the most affordable restaurant at the resort. We are very big foodies and I could not recommend this restaurant more.

Date of visit: January 2021
Write a reviewReviews (10)

Reviewed 29 November 2020

Misaki was a great experience. We are Japanophiles, have spent quite a bit of time in Japan and know the difference between ok, good, great and life changing Japanese food. The Omakase here was a very hip/cool take on a tradtional experience, we were able to try a MEXICAN JUNMAI DAIGINJO and the fish was as fresh as it gets. The Omakase did not disappoint and the staff treated the total experience with the correct level of reverence eating Omakase deserves. We ate dinner dressed for a resort experience and did eat next to those in swim trunks and flip flops, which I guess was great for them but took away a small bit from our experience. Given COVID I don’t think the door is turning away diners, which is understandable.

Date of visit: November 2020
Reviewed 14 September 2020 via mobile

We are sushi fanatics and this place was highly recommended. Part of the Edo Kobayashi group of restaurants, Misaki was our first time trying out his sushi. The restaurant is located in the beautiful, highly regarded, award winning hotel El Solaz. Its an incredibly impressive place, the kind of place you see in architecture magazines. The restaurant itself is also impeccably designed and because of this we were immediately impressed and couldn’t wait to taste the food.

We asked for Omakase which they only have available if you choose the private rooms, which we didn’t. They still offered to give us the Chef’s Choice option which was a 5 course meal that included their best fish raw and cooked. The first course was an assorted sashimi which included delicious wasabi and quality fish. It also a spicy salsa to add to the fish if you wanted. We’re more of a purist kind of couple when it comes to sushi so we tried it but stayed away from it. It was good don’t get me wrong.

The second course was a clam with vegetables which was very very good. Third course was a cooked bacalao which was smoked and tasted delicious. Fourth and fifth course were nigiris that included white fish and their O Toro and Kama Toro which was great. I added some Uni and another piece of Tuna which was marinated in a delightful way. Uni was from Ensenada and since its my favorite I did repeat.

Great sushi is not only measured by the quality of the fish but by the taste of their rice (which is arguably the most important part) and the balance between the flavors. While not the best we’ve had, it was definitely up there. Rice had a little bit more flavor, more salty than I would’ve loved but it was still really really good. That’s probably the only small and I mean very small criticism I would have for the place.

Chef was great he came to our table and had a conversation with us and the waiter was really knowledgeable and nice. Overall I have to give Misaki a 4.8 out of 5.0 stars. I’ll round it up to 5.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 29 February 2020 via mobile

This will be unlike any other Sushi restaurant you’ve visited! They want you to have an authentic and real experience. They encouraged us to sit at the sushi bar and so glad we did. It was interactive with the sushi chef and really neat to watch them prep the meal. He was happy to answer all our questions. One of the best Sushi dinners we have shared. Great staff and eager to serve.

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 28 February 2020 via mobile

My first experience with sushi was 25 years ago on my honeymoon in Mexico. Since then I’ve eaten sushi all over North America. I think it’s funny that I had to come back to Mexico to have the BEST sushi of my life! Because of allergies I mostly only eat sashimi. So the cut of the fish makes all the difference. Chef is Japanese and serious about sharing his culture. Everything we ate was stellar, but when we saw the huge piece of Blue Fin laid on the counter for Chef to start his magic we got excited. It had just arrived and was too late to add to the menu. We indicated we definitely wanted some of it and told him the cut was his choice. We got specially prepared slices from each of the different parts of this incredibly fresh tuna. This was one of those times you put something in your mouth and just have to take a few moments to catch your breath and savor.
They were also great with allergies. My husband ordered something I couldn’t eat, but chef heard about my allergy and prepared the dish slightly differently so I could enjoy a few bites as well! Drinks were outstanding, and service was fun, knowledgeable, and accommodating.
SO glad I read the reviews on the Solaz page and ate here our first night, because we will be back multiple times this trip!
It’s expensive, but as with any sushi restaurant, you can order as small or large amounts as you like.

Date of visit: February 2020