“High quality for low price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Posada Real Los Cabos

Posada Real Los Cabos
Ranked #20 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Oakland, California
“High quality for low price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

While this hotel is one of the oldest beachside hotels in Cabo, you get a lot for what you pay. Good service and clean rooms. Nice location on the beach in hotel area walkable to historic San Jose del Cabo and restaurants. Option of all inclusive rates, if you want to just sit on beach and go nowhere. Entertainment in lobby restuarant most nights. Lots of Mexcan families so you feel like you are not in typical Gringo resort.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Casacabanas
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

I spent 2 weeks here. Breakfasts and lunches (at buffet) were good, dinners were terrible. Almost all the staff members were great, a few who need an attitude adjustment. The beds were hard as rock, entertainment was boring, and the "hot tub" was dirty and cold. Drinks were great though, all day service(bar closes at 11pm.........) . I enjoyed my trip but next time posada will not be an option.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Tecumseh ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Spent a week in March and had a great time. The beach is fabulous and you can walk forever in both directions. Rooms were dated but very clean on a daily basis......bathrooms could definitely use updating. The service was the best in my many years of visiting Mexico. From the desk down to servers maids etc....outstanding. Was pleasantly surprised at the quality of food at all meals. We fished on 2 days and the Captain at the Posada made us 2 wonderful dinners complete with cerviche apps(mahi-mahi, grouper and snapper). Drinks were good and enjoyed the best tasting wine of any resort we visited in the past years. I believe they were using a Carlo Rossi...mediocre at home but EXCELLENT for Mexican wine.The grounds were kept spotless and the array oc cactus in the yard was quite cool.Greaty value for your money.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank fatz888
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

I stayed six nights with a friend at Posada Real in the beginning of March. The rooms were clean and fairly basic and they had a TV with cable, although most shows were either in Spanish, dubbed into Spanish, and only a few were in English with Spanish subtitles. That wasn't a problem for me because I speak Spanish, but would be an issue for non-Spanish speakers.

Posada Real is an "all inclusive" resort, although they have various meal plans. We were signed up for the breakfast and drinks meal plan, and I never ate lunch or dinner at the hotel. The breakfast buffet was fairly good, although usually nothing too fancy. There were always fresh fruit juices (the flavors varied from day to day but could be orange, papaya, watermelon, strawberry, pineapple, or honeydew). They also had an omelette bar every day and a rotating selection of breakfast foods such as eggs, potatoes, and sausages. There was french toast every day, as well as fresh fruit and fresh Mexican pastries. The coffee was decent (again, nothing special, but drinkable). I ate there for six days and didn't get tired of the food, which I suppose is a good sign. There were quite a few hotel employees around during breakfast, refilling coffee, taking dirty plates, refilling food, etc. Overall, I was quite pleased with breakfast.

The hotel had a well-maintained cactus garden in the center courtyard area, and a smallish pool next to a cabana bar. I guess it was supposed to be a "swim up" bar but I never saw anyone actually order drinks while in the pool. The pool was in pretty good condition, although the tiles could have used a cleaning. The water temperature was pleasant, and the pool was never crowded. There was a hot tub close to the pool, but it was more like a warm tub - the water was barely warmer than the pool water.

There were enough lounge chairs to go around, although the ones under the palapas were always nabbed first so it was hard to get one in the shade. A guy from the bar would come around one in a while and take drink orders from the people at the beach.The hotel had marked off an area for its guests, and the roving beach vendors had to stay outside that area. The vendors never bothered us while we were there.

The included drinks were average, I would say. They weren't super strong, but they were included so I couldn't complain. Their house beer was Indio brand, which I gather is sort of like the Mexican Budweiser - weak, but not offensive.

We were at the hotel before the spring break crowd descended on Cabo, but I was still surprised by how old most of the hotel clientele was. I'm 31, my friend is 39, and I felt like we were nearly the youngest people there. Most of the guests were at least my parents', if not my grandparents' age. The music they played in the lobby after dinner fit with this age group - it sounded like bad elevator music. There really wasn't much going on after dark at the hotel.

The hotel staff was helpful and generally friendly, but very few of them seemed very happy. Most seemed to hate their job. I felt kind of bad for them, and at times the hotel ambiance seemed kind of depressing because of it.

Overall, the hotel was a decent value for the money, but I probably wouldn't return. It just wasn't my thing.

Room Tip: We were in a room that was not facing the courtyard and got zero wifi signal in the room. I suspect...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank mariposita_pdx
Red Deer, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks at this little hotel. our kids were with us for 1 week and we were on our own for the second week. We had read all the reviews on this website and knew what to expect. We don't go to Mexico to sit in our room, so we knew it wouldn't be spectacular,but we also expected the service to be excellent..and it was . Alot of these people have worked at this Hotel for a long time, and you could tell that they were proud of their Hotel and their jobs. From the Maintenence Crew to the Maids to the servers to the Front Desk Staff. I'm sure that you could not find better service at a 5+ resort. Thank You to all of the Staff for Making our holiday so so fantastic! And our rep for Westjet Vacations- The juan and only...Juan ! Thank You! We loved San Jose. Being able to walk to everything, Zippers on the beach,the Estuary,Shooters in Town, The Church, The Art night on Thursday. All the people we met from Canada and the States. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: any room has a great view of the cactus garden and/or ocean.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
#23 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,533 reviews
1.1 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#17 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,117 reviews

Been to Posada Real Los Cabos? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK