“Party Hardy”

Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Buffalo
“Party Hardy”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Really nice place..good food..great staff...friendly people..SAFE.....really is...We heard and read about the "problems"...not in Cabo...we never felt out of our safe zone...if you take a young family be advised they cater to the 18-19 year old group which isnt a bad thing except remember when you were that age....halls are long and a little narrow so everything can be heard...especially at 2:00 o"clock in the morning.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JeterBuffalo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at this resort and once again it was an amazing vacation. What more could you ask for, the resort is spotless, staff is so friendly and helpful, beautiful views, lots of activities, lovely swimming pools. We ate at the steak house, asian restaurant and the mexican restaurant and they were all good. We found the steak house to be the best (the chicken and ribs were very good). The buffet breakfast is excellent with anything you could think of to eat. The buffet dinner also has a huge assortment of items. There was management staff walking around and asking how everything was going and they really wanted lots of feedback. Our only issue was that our room was just above the steak house so that when the staff was cleaning up at night the moving of the chairs did make quite a noise until late and then early in the morning which would wake us up. When we mentioned this to them the very next day it stopped and we didn't hear it again. Anyway I would highly recommend this hotel, we can hardly wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marian01
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

This was our first time in Cabo but it definitely won't be our last!!!! Riu Sante Fe was AWESOME!! You must do the all inclusive package if you stay here. The specialty restaurants were great but you have to make reservations early in the morning to get in so make sure you set your alarm! The hotel was very very clean and the pools are AMAZING! The staff was wonderful; they were extremely polite and very accommodating. My only issue with this resort is location. Don't get me wrong, you definitely don't ever need to leave the resort, but if you want to its $12 USD each way for the cab ride into town. There are lots of hotels by the marina but honestly the short distance into town is worth staying at the Riu. It would've been nice to be able to walk around but the resort is a bit isolated. Anyways, we definitely recommend this resort if your going to Cabo; great bang for your buck!!!!

• Stayed June 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I sent my son and two friends to the RUI in Sante Fe for a week - we booked through BOOKIT.com and got a rate of $74 a night each for the all inclusive.

After the week was over one went home and the two left decided to extend another three days to party over the weekend. Bookit was no longer selling days at RUI and the direct booking on RUI - while showing $74 a night - kept saying the hotel was full. I rang the hotel directly - a lot of confusion as no one spoke english very well but they eventually gave me another booking number. Unfortunatley when i rang it was a spanish line for Direct TV. So rang back and went through the same thing again - got another number. Rang it - can't ring that number from Colorado. Rang RUI again - same thing again - got another number - this time got thru. I booked for 3 more nights - asked if we would be getting the same rate we had been on - the rate they were advertising - was told YES. They also kept the boys in the same room. Great. They cannot take my credit card and must have my son pay it at the hotel they say. So I wire him $500 US which I thought would have covered the $440 bill.

Another three days pass and the boys decide to extend another two days - having too much fun! Went through the same process - extended with Rui booking , wired him $400 to cover the $290ish bill. Then I notice his bank account is overdrawn $700 in fees from bank and overcharges from RUI. They had been charging him $140 a night each for the room instead of the $74. My marathon day started - 7 hours on the phone with RUI - Rui hotel, who put me thru to Rui reservations desk - who put me thru to RUI front desk - who put me thru to RUI Reservations - . Eventually I was told that it "must be the currency conversion. Which doesn't make sense - if the rate is $74 US.....shouldn't that be the rate equivalent in Pasos........they told me I obviously didn't understand the exchange rate. Not believed that in the exchange I was losing $150 A DAY - I asked for a supervisor. She agreed that I was being charged $140 a day - but told me that the RUI had a policy that once the customer had checked out of the hotel - there were no refunds. I explained that my son had not checked out - was still there - and I expected them to honor the rate we were given. They then told me they had changed his rate to the $86 a day. FINE. then why was I being charged $140 per day for each of the boys.... they found the recording of my booking - and sent me a copy. It clearly has me asking if we would be getting the continued rate of $74 - with the booking agent saying YES.......

I tried to ring Headquarters - which is in Spain - and no one could speak english. THis is a 5 star hotel with 100 hotels worldwide mind you. I was given the number of Cancun - where someone COULd speak English - she told me to ring the director of the RUI Sante Fe - which I then did. For two days I rang both the Public Relations manager and the director - 11 times in total. Not one call returned. After ringing the 12th time I am told he is too busy to speak to me.

So now - I have over $800 in overcharges - and not one person can speak well enough English to sort it out - .....Very Frustrating. If your going to book or extend at the RUI - do it thru Bookit or an agency that can help you with these issues. DO NOT PAY AT THE HOTEL or USE THE RUI BOOKING SERVICE.

AlSO - THe SHUTTLE....we ended up having to pay $60 each way to the airport - after already paint $90 for return shuttle tickets - as they tiny shuttle was always full and it was either wait 2or 3 hours and miss your flight - or pay the $60 for a cab fare.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank bighearted
Waterloo, Ontario
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Prior to arriving at this resort, we (myself, wife and three kids; 23, 20, 15) 'ooed and awed' at the beautiful pictures on Trip Advisor and could not believe we were going to a resort of this caliber. Although our flight was delayed (by almost 2 hours), causing us a bit of anxiety, that was immediately diminished when we arrived at the airport in Los Cabos only to have a Sun Wing representative greet us, hand us our wrist bands and check-in package and tell us it was all taken care of. Very impressive. Every detail having been taken care of, it was immediately obvious to us that the resort really does care for the grounds and most concerns that we had. We have read some reviews about room location and proximity to the main nightly entertainment area, which was never a concern for us. Our only comment is similar to others - the doors to the rooms are very heavy and walls need some kind of sound barrier as loud flip flops, screaming babies, voices and conversations easily carry from room to room and level to level. When a door shuts, it slams and echos down the halls. No biggy unless that slam is at 3:30 in the morning and you are looking to get up early. I do have to agree with another writer that there needs to be a true 24 hour snack bar. The only room related concern we had was when smoke from other guest room billowed into our three children's room and was enough to keep them awake all night. When reported to the front desk, they said there was nothing they could do as smoking is allowed. They did offer to switch rooms but the kids were well established in their room and that was on a Wednesday (we left on the Friday at 6:30 a.m.). By Thursday morning, I asked the cleaning lady to come into the room and tell me what she thought - she immediately held the bedroom door open and opened the screen door wide to air it out, asking if my kids were smoking. A worker came to look at the situation but Thursday afternoon and evening were no better. This is the first 5-star we have been to and the only one that did not have somewhere you could go to eat hot snack food late at night. Some of the people that take advantage of the bar into the wee hours could use something to sponge up the affects of a fun night. There are so many options for swimming through the day that we only noticed a few incidents of individuals placing towels on the poolside loungers but it hardly made a difference as they have so many available, it was not an issue. One thing I would recommend is to have music playing at each of the pools. The party pool and what we considered the 'family pool' had music but if you were in any other one, you had to stretch your ears to hear it. Would love to have them playing Caribbean, vacation type music as well. We did see speakers mounted but nothing coming out of them. It would just add to the upbeat atmosphere but is in no way a negative criticism, just a thought. The food was excellent - buffet was pretty much the same each day but fantastic and impressive. We went to each of the a la cartes once and the Mexican twice as they allowed for this (nice touch). The food was great and we never left hungry. The entertainment at night was 'cute'. They managed to pack the place which quickly cleared out after the show unless you were interested in watching the artists that were stationed around the bar areas, perform their magic (they are just amazingly talented painters - with spray cans and their fingers!) or mull about with the vendors that were selling their wares. The ocean is not something to mess with (clearly); they have one or two lifeguards positioned on the beach for safety which proved beneficial more than a couple times as people did not heed the warnings and stood too close only to be hit pretty hard by the unsuspecting waves that come crashing into the shore. This is not a beach your children or weaker swimmers take advantage of. The vendors on the beach are not pushy. If they approach you and you say 'no gracias' they understand and leave you alone. We did buy a couple of dresses off the one lady but make sure you dicker the price. They start out completely unrealistic until you try to walk away at which time they start to come down. We also took a bus into town with some of the locals which was safe, cost 10 pesos or one American dollar. We walked around the harbor and visited some of the local vendors (the further you get away from the downtown core, the better the prices for lunch, dinner or souvenirs). Take lots of water - the heat gets to be extreme and if the humidity levels are high you will find this very taxing on your body as you will sweat uncontrollably. Never once did we feel unsafe though. Very nice people in town and beautiful place. If you are a first time traveller, don't get caught thinking you can get American or even Canadian money out of the ATMs at the resort as it only dispenses pesos. The front desk will convert for you, but it is VERY costly - my advice; either bring enough spending money with you or be prepared to get pesos from the ATM. We would go back to this resort some day but we have so many other places we want to visit that it will be a while before that happens.

Room Tip: The 6000 series that we had seemed to be central to the entertainment, restaurants, pool and ocean.