“Excellent Choice” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Diego,CA
“Excellent Choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2009

We stayed Feb 7 thru 14th and stayed in Phase II, one bedroom. My husband and 13 and 9 year olds just can't wait to come back. We were on the top floor and had the most amazing views to the ocean-- lower phase II rooms views are blocked by Phase I. I don't recommend 1st floor in any phase since you'll hear the morning cleaning crew at the pool about 630a. Phase II is located near Phase III contruction but since the framework and exterior of the building are complete, there is minimal noise mostly from an occassional tile saw in the distance.

The staff was wonderfully attentive. The onsite market was reasonably priced-- you are a captive customer but when compared to prices at other resorts (and we did visit two other hotel/timeshare mini-markets), these prices were at most 20 pesos (or $1.30) above Walmart for key things like coffee and milk and bread, etc. Food there was good but great items were the pool bar's chicken kabobs and the main restaurant's tortilla soup. The kids enjoyed the hamburgers... I do not recommend the ceaser salad as the dressing was unpalatable unless you like extra fishy dressing. At the Phase II pool bar, I have to give a shout-out to Alejandro. He prepared the best Michilada--basically a local drink made with beer similiar to a bloody mary. Alejandro's version was called a Cuban Beer that no one else could duplicate and I miss having it in my hand now.

It was our first trip to Cabo and we visited many other resorts but we agree that location (both view and proximity to Walmart, Costco, and Downtown) were hard to match. Some of the other larger resorts like Westin and One and Only were lovely but really very remote and we wouldn't consider going there (unless it was nearly free!). Due to the location, you'll still get to see full sunsets where other resorts further down the tourist corridor don't since they face more south or east. The stature of the resort even when complete will be boutique-like compared to the monster resorts like Sheraton and other places.

We exchanged our timeshare to this location and will request again we like it sooooo much. At checkin we agreed to the $7/day service assessment . I went so far as to ask staff their thoughts on the $7--- since I"ve been to other resorts in the world that do this and the staff intended to receive it didn't even know about it. Any staff I asked said that the owner not only distributed all $$ monthly and kept none but that the owner also matched it so that the distribution pot actualy worked out to be $14/day. This $7 does not include valet or wait staff. We didn't stop at the $7.day... really, who could get away that cheap!!... hand over a few more pesos for people who are really making it special for you.

We did attend the timeshare presenation becz we liked the place so much but resale is a 10th of the price after looking online so we declined. Internet was free but, weirly enough, hotmail and gmail were blocked and no one at the front desk could explain why, correct, or give us access. Although email access was blocked when using the laptop, my iPhone did get my gmails without problems. They don't have a business center but were very generous and didn't charge when we requested copies of some documents.

We rented a car from a local place called Turimaz at the airport which had the best overall deal. Becz we're fair skinned, we had to look for things to do alternate to pool days. Driving and parking everywhere is easy-- getting past entry guards at other resorts needed some creative interaction. We even found the local animal shelter and donated time and food there. I highly recommend a trip up the coast to Todos Santos (tour buses will also take you there). After dusk, avoid driving anywhere but the tourist corridior--free range cattle is everywhere and according to locals the main cause of road accidents. The tourist corridor has frencing so that's why that area is safer to drive.

Downtown, eat at Gordo LeLe for best tacos, Senor Sweets for best breakfast, continental Mexican, and dessert, The Office for dinner. All easy to find. In Todos Santos (an artsy town without timeshares or heavy street vendors) eat at restaurant across the road from Hotel California- famous for Shrimp Renellos.

Cant wait to return.

• Liked — Large Rooms, excellent decor, amazing balcony.
  • Disliked — No oven or washer/dryer.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TruthfulGal
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
  • Polish first
Plainfield, IL.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2009

Unfortunately, my husband and I just returned home from our second get away to the exquisite Hacienda Encantada Los Cabos. We purchased here last year, after falling in love with the resort and city immediately upon our arrival. We continue to travel other areas of Mexico, but never have visited or fallen in love with another resort and city greater than this.

The location and positioning of the resort nestled on the Sea of Cortez is stunning. This year once again our room was located in Phase I (fourth floor) of the original development with a breathtaking view of Land's End from the balcony of our beautiful studio. The rooms are beginning to show a little wear and tear, but nothing to be concerned about at this point in time. Phase II. is completed with occupancy at this point in time, with the current construction of Phase III well under way. They have added a temporary spa for massages on the first floor of Phase I, until a permanent spa and fitness center is complete, which I believe is part of Phase IV. As others have mentioned in past reviews, we were readily expecting to hear all the nuisance that comes along with construction, but that was never the case, during our week there this year.

Upon arrival, we were graciously welcomed back (cocktail’s at hand)! Check in took only a matter of minutes. We arrived a few hours earlier than expected, and were lucky our room was readily available for us. Lastly, once again at check time we had to book a meeting with a time a share representative, to promote any up-grade possibilities to us. As in the past we went along with complimentary breakfast meeting, to hear about any up-dates with the resort, and to take advantage of the gift certificates they present for hearing them out (my husband cannot wait for the fitness center to open). The representative we met with was very nice; we had the opportunity to take a tour of Phase II., and were proposed to up-grade our membership to a fixed week or up-grade to a one bedroom. We declined neither, since we sporadically like to travel during the winter months, nor have any children at this time, so we felt no immediate need for the up-grades being offered. There was no heavy sales pitch as we had expected. Once we said no thanks, that was it!

Each year we find the staff to be more and more spectacular. It is so nice to return each year, to see familiar faces of the staff, especially at the pool bar; Jesus & Javier are incredible, they are so attentive to you, it’s un-real. The drinks are very reasonable, making available just about everything to your taste. The room service staff is as likewise fantastic. Daily our room was tended to as if we walked into it on the first day. The food at the El Patio pool bar and Las Marias is un-believable. Every meal was delicious from the Mexican entrees to Italian….absolutely divine! There are not too many resorts where you visit where you can say that!

At check time you are assessed a $7.00 per day service/tip fee, they is to be divided up between all staff members (room service, waiters, grounds keeper, golf cart drivers, etc.) Keep in mind the staff here works tirelessly making pennies on the dollar for an hourly rate, so each day we left our room service three dollars on the bed for an additional tip, along with tipping the waiters generously. You wouldn’t believe how far this will get you!

This year was the most exciting time than ever. The group of people down there this past week was great. Being one of the youngest couples down there, some of the “snow birds” aren’t as charismatic with you, but this year was not the case as in the past. We made so many friendships down there that will last for a life time. Many of us have made a pack to try as best as possible to go down again around the same time next year.

This resort is not like what you would typically find in Cancun, South Padre Island or South Beach. It is a very low key, relax-full, up-scale romantic getaway. Each year we have seen groups of girls or guys (friends) who have booked a stay a Hacienda Encantada for the week transfer one their second day down to Hacienda Encantada’s sister resort down at the Marina where there is more excitement, beach life, and is easily accessible (walking) to all the night spots.

As others have stated in past postings, we also recommend highly securing your transportation in advance from when you arrive at the airport to Hacienda Encantada. From the point you receive your luggage and go past the last security check point, get ready to get bombarded from nearly a hundred representatives from transportation/taxi companies to time share representatives. Head straight to the exit, buy a beer, and bask in the nice warm sunshine, as you look for your previous arranged for transportation to the resort.

Our only dislike with the resort, is the transportation to and from the resort to the down town area. The process has changed to some degree from years past. When you wish to secure a shuttle for example at 6:00p.m.; you need to call in advance to the lobby to book your ride down town, and back. So when you go down to catch the shuttle you need to be certain to collect at the lobby your shuttle pass tickets that need to be presented to the driver. The last shuttle for the evening leaves the resort at 8:00p.m for downtown with the last shuttle leaving downtown to the resort at 8:30p.m. It would be nice if the shuttle extended it service to at least 10:00p.m. Most catch a cab back for roughly $10.00 - $20.00 depending on well you negotiate.

If any one has any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask us.

We cannot wait to return back next year!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank storky76
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2009

Just stayed at the Hacienda Encantada for the first time since we bought a membership there. My wife and I stayed with our friends and had an unbelievable time. Our friends could not believe how great this place was. The view has to be the best in Cabo. The staff could not be any nicer, Javier you rock. The food was the big surprise for me, as it was fantastic! The pools were great! The property is currently working on Phase two, but you could not even tell construction was going on. Overall, the best place I have ever stayed at and it is not even close. If you have any questions please ask and I will help you as much as I can.

• Liked — View, Food, Pool
  • Disliked — Nada
3 Thank Badger21
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2009

My husband and I just returned from a week at Hacienda Encantada (1/17/09-1/24/09). It was even better than when we went last February!

We adore the location, the low-rise buildings, the staff, and the fantastic pools. We had a great view of Land's End from the balcony of our beautiful studio. We loved sitting at the pool or on our balcony listening to the waves, watching the whales breaching and the cruise ships entering and leaving the harbor. The sunsets were phenomenal!

The rooms all have lanai doors that pull back completely, so that the entire end of your room opens out into the balcony. Gorgeous! Unfortunately I had to shut the doors a couple times because one of our neighbors enjoyed a cigarette or cigar on his balcony before bed. Maybe someday the resort will go non-smoking :D

The staff is superb. They could not have been more helpful and friendly, and the ratio of staff to guests is amazing. There was no wait to check in or out, the car was always brought up by the parking valet instantly, and there was always a golf cart and bellman close by to take you to your room, the lobby, or the restaurant. The maids did a great job, and the room showed minimal wear, although I'm sure it has been in constant use since last year.

The main restaurant, Las Marias, has a lovely open-air dining room with beautiful views, and the food is good, though not super gourmet. The pool restaurant has many good choices, but the hamburgers were not our favorite; the taste was fine, but they tended to be on the rare side, and they seemed to be made from pre-formed patties.

The new Phase 2 rooms and pools look fabulous. There is a water slide for the kids, as well as a splash area where the little ones can play. If I were traveling with children, I would definitely book a room in Phase 2! There is also a pool bar for the grownups, which seemed to be open the same hours as the Phase 1 pool bar.

Construction on the second building of Phase 2 was ongoing while we were there, but we could not hear any noise when we were at the Phase 1 pool or in our room in Phase 1.

There was problem with the phones one day, but the hotel worked around it by having bellmen with golf carts in the area of the rooms.

The hotel provides a shuttle back and forth to town for owners at no charge. We didn't use it because we had a rental car, but I noticed that the last shuttle leaves town at 8:30 p.m. - anybody who is out for a night of partying will probably have to come back by private cab.

My husband said the checkout went smoothly. When I reviewed the bill beforehand I found no errors. We were charged correctly for what we consumed from the minibar (two bottles of water). I noticed that the hotel literature mentioned a charge of $10/week for dish washing, but I don't recall if it was actually on the bill. There was a charge equivalent to about $7/day for tips - small price to pay for the service we got! We also gave additional tips as services were rendered.

We went to an owners' presentation (selling upgrades) in exchange for a $50 gift certificate at Las Marias and had a nice chat the same salesperson we spoke to last February. He was polite and friendly, and did not make us feel uncomfortable at all when we declined to upgrade our timeshare.

We are disappointed that the resort is now offering the option of fixed weeks/fixed rooms, but other than that we are totally happy with Hacienda Encantada. I often hear of people who regret buying timeshares, but my husband and I are elated with our purchase. Hacienda Encantada has come along beautifully since we bought about four years ago, when the sales pavilion was the only building on site. We hated to leave, and can't wait to return next year!

• Liked — The location, the rooms, the staff
  • Disliked — Some websites are blocked by their security filter, and the wireless signal was weak a couple times
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank bnzlvr
Victoria, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

Well, I just want to say our experience was wonderful. I was very concerned about this trip for several reasons. One, the reports I have read and two, knowing we were not time share owners of this resort or even in the Internval circuit. We received this stay through a friend. So, I had visions of them not even finding our reservation when we got there. So, of all the people who probably should have been treated unfairly, it should have been us, but it wasn't that way at all. We got there around 11:30, we couldn't get in our room, which we figured (check-in is at 4:00). I was just glad they had our reservation at that point. We got our champagne and two drink tickets for the bar. We sat up at the restaurant bar and had a few drinks and food. By 4:00 we got into our room. Check-in process went very quickly for us, but we were early, maybe if you come later in the day it could take longer as they only have two people checking people in. We stayed in the 2nd phase. The rooms are beautiful. I am not sure our room had been used before as when we were moving into our room, the staff was bringing in dishes, blenders, can openers, etc. We were in a studio on the the ground floor. Obviously, we wanted to be up top, but we understood as we didn't have much clout here, so we were fine with what we had. We had pool side view. Not much happening at this pool, it was pretty quite. We ate dinner at the restaurant the first night. We really enjoyed what we had. The pools are beautiful and the staff was wonderful. Havier and Alonzo at the pool took great care of us. Also, Angel was so nice. He works in the morning at the restuarant. Can't say enough about Carlos, he took care of all our extra activities.

We did not rent a car, we set up transportation with Cabo San Lucas Tours. It was very easy to book and they were there at the airport to pick us up. It cost $15.00 per person. They can't pick you up, only drop you off from the airport. You have to arrange transportation from the hotel with a shuttle or taxi. The shuttle was $13.00 (if you can you leave when it leaves or if there is at least another couple to go with you). Otherwise, yes it is $100.00 back to the airport. However, if this becomes the case, talk with Carlos as he stated he would try to work something out. Not sure he could, but it would be worth a try. In the end, it worked for us. We also would take the shuttle into town in the evening for $5.00 per person, but would taxi back for $18.00. The last shuttle is at 8:30, which is too early.

We did do the time share presentation just to get it over with. We knew we were not going to buy, but why not take advantage of the free stuff. We got about $200.00 worth of trips. The presentation is supposed to last 90 minutes, but it went about 2 hours. They were not high pressure at all. We were totally expecting it, but not at all. As someone else mentioned, we were put off by the additional time share person that was trying to get us to go to their place when we finished the presentation. We just said no and that was the end of it.

I think what happens to some people when they go to Mexico, they treat the staff poorly. In the end, you are treated as you treat them. Have fun with the people, if you show them some appreciation, they show it back. The staff knew our names they talked to us and would tell us about their lives. How they got there, how many kids they have, what their names are. People, you are treated the way you treat other people. I can't express that enough. Show some interest and it will go a long way.

We also asked to be moved to phase 1 on the first day and they said to come back. We actually waited until the 3rd day and they made it happen. We got our ocean view room. Still on the lower level, but it was so nice of them to move us. (just a side note, we called for the manager that morning and found out the bus he was on broke down and he had to walk like 5 miles to work in the heat, we didn't think we have a chance, but we told him how sorry we were to hear about what happen to him and he accomodated us. I am sure it wasn't the first thing he wanted to do when he got there, but he did). Again, treat people well and they will treat you the same!!!!

Regarding construction, we never heard it when we were at the phase 1 pool. We maybe heard a little bit of it when we were in phase 2, but it wasn't bad. I have been at resorts that are completely finished and they are just updating and have heard more noise. It didn't ruin our trip.

We saw whales every day. It was so cool to see the mother whales showing the baby calves how to jump. We went on a whale tour and it actually came in front of our resort to see the whales. The only thing bad about the tour was that the water taxi's would rush up to the whales and scare them, by time we got there in the sail boat, they would be gone. I would suggest doing a zodiac boat. We did that in Puerto Vallarta and it was awesome. Little scary though...

I would say we loved the rooms the best, the view is spectular and the pools are heated and so nice.

If you want to ask any questions, please feel welcome to email me.

• Liked — Rooms, View, Pools & the Staff
  • Disliked — Transportation was a little difficult/espensive
4 Thank Mexico43