“Wedding at RIU Palace Cabo San Lucas” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Ranked #31 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Wedding at RIU Palace Cabo San Lucas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Everything about this hotel and our stay in general was absolutely perfect. Our room was clean and very nice but standard for RIU, with an amazing view. The staff at this hotel work so very hard to ensure that every detail of your vacation is great. They clean non-stop every inch of the resort, are always friendly and helpful and went above and beyond to keep our belongings safe.

The check-in was quick and although we were early (arrived at 12:30) our room was ready for us immediately! The options at the hotel are endless - including food, drinks, and entertainment. It seems that it would be next to impossible to not find something delicious to eat or fun to do. I cannot even imagine finding a complaint about this hotel!

Our wedding at the resort was perfect and again the staff did an amazing job to make sure every detail was covered. The Wedding Coordinator - Jazz, was amazing! Absolutely loved her! Would highly recommend having wedding at this RIU as it turned out great. Very little effort on our part!

There were a couple of times that valuable things were left out in our room and the staff made sure that we were made aware and then ensured our things were safe in the meantime - AMAZING!

We have stayed at other RIU hotels and found this one very comparable to the others (all Palaces) with regards to cleanliness, food quality/quantity and the wonderful staff. You would literally see the same people working first thing in the morning, late that same night (11pm) and then again the next morning, day after day, yet friendly and helpful the entire time!

The layout of the hotel is quite creative and although there were days that the hotel was full, you rarely felt that way because of how vast the grounds were. Everyone was really spread-out. The restaurants at RIUs can vary but we felt that they were great here. The hotel feels a bit more casual than other RIU Palaces.

Will stay with RIU again - it is nice to stay with a company you trust will provide a high-quality vacation! No complaints!

Room Tip: Our rooms were near middle of the hotel and close to most of the restaurants and bars. This worked...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank vtgrules
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,484)
  • Polish first
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

We have stayed in many places around the world and for some reason we found that particular Hotel in Cabo lacking in customer service and manners, from check-in to dining to bar service to check out. I am in the hospitality industry and I understand the importance of treating guests with every little attention to details. That is what makes the difference! Riu Palace, does not have this philosophie and it is unfortunate. I will not return and I have not recommanded this hotel to my friends. We visit Cabo at least once a year...and tried Riu hotels for the first time last year and it will be the last...I am sorry to say. Don``t get me wrong, it is a beautiful facility, with great beach and well appointed rooms...the quality of service needed for this 4+ star rating is not up to par!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VMJ671
Charleston, WV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

LOVE RIU Palace! We arrived before check-in time, no problem! We were greeted with drinks while checking in & they held our luggage for us while we explored the property & had drinks at the lobby bar & met some new friends. We splurged & got the best room with the outside tub on the balcony-definitely recommend doing this! Beautiful views & awesome to relax with a Dos Equis from the in-room fridge. Our room was super clean! The staff there is ALWAYS cleaning! My only complaints about our room- the bed was hard & the a/c wasnt very cool. Everything there is open-air & i think it creates a lot of humidity in the room.
Food-Buffets are really good! Large selection & tasty! We only tried the Asian specialty restaurant & it was good but they bring everything out in courses to all the guests so the whole experience took an hour & a half. The food wasnt any better than the buffet so we canceled all other dinner reservations for the week & just ate at the buffet every evening. We were happy with it, in & out in 20 mins, & could eat whatever time we wanted so we could spend more time enjoying Cabo. They have hot dogs, burritos & nachos 24-7 which was awesome to come back after a night out & take some nachos back to the room ;) Drinks & bartenders were wonderful! Tried lots of delicious drinks & shots that i can only remember about half the names of haha.
Beach-was a lil disappointing. Its pretty steep & the tide is very rough. You dont see many swimmers. The Palace has 2 huge pools right on the beach with swim up bars & waiters coming around constantly to get you drinks so we werent too sad about not swimming in the ocean.
Town-$12 to get a cab to town where the shops & bars are. You can usually split with other guests because ppl are constantly waiting for cabs in the lobby. Def recommend going to Cabo Wabo for dinner! Coconut Shrimp was amazing! The bar side is really fun also. We had the MOST fun at El Squid Roe though! We played Mexican Bingo(i won a free beer!) Great drinks & music there! LOVE the Substitute Pimp! We had a great stay at RIU Palace in Cabo! Even with my 2 complaints, i would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Valerie S
Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

My wife and I stayed here from April 13 to April 20, 2012. This was meant to be a reasonably priced Honeymoon which I advised the hotel was our reason for coming.

***The Let-Downs***
-the Partial Ocean View room (special for our Honeymoon) had a 60% view of an empty sandy lot to the East (future hotel I imagine), 10% ocean and 30% exterior wall..... I had to wait until the next day to get a better room with 50 Palm Tree view 30% pool view and 20% Ocean View
-I was told by the hotel telephone operator that local calls to cell phones were the only ones that cost money..... I ended up paying an extra thirty dollars for landline calls at the end of the trip..... management was absolutely rude to me and embarrassed me in-front of other guests with the way he dealt with me (trust me, I don't embarrass easy)
-the Signature Vacations staff member attempted to fool me into taking part in an ATV tour other than the one I wanted.... learned he received a cut from the lower scale operation

***The Hotel***
-Clean rooms with a nicely stocked fridge and liquor dispensors
-"5 Star Plus" for Mexico however, not the same 5 Star rating for places like Canada &USA
-about a 20-30 minute walk to the marina / main city

***The Staff***
-the restaurant and cleaning staff were very friendly with regular "Holas!"
-the restaurant service was excellent and friendly
-essentially, the staff that normally would receive a tip were excellent, the manager of the front desk was shockingly rude

***The People***
-a wide range of mostly mature guests primarily from Canada / USA

***The Restaurants***
-My wife and I preferred to Buffets over the "A La Carte" food which appeared to be prepared and re-heated
-The main buffet was great with theme nights
-One bar seemed open 24/7

***The Pools***
-There seemed to be a loud side and quiet side with easy access to alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks

***Swimming in Ocean***
-very highly not recommended due to under-tow

***Beach***
-very gritty sand that would make my feet raw

FINAL OPINION
-I want to stay at this place again and could see past some of the let-downs however, as a result of the manager's treatment of me and no call-backs afterwards I will NEVER stay at a RIU Resort in the future

Room Tip: When choosing a room I suggest choosing a room on the fourth floor facing the inside of the hotel or...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kuljinder S
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Slight hiccup with our room, just like an earlier blog I read, they gave my friend and I one bed instead of two which we had requested! We giggled and three rooms later...we got the right room. Now one headboard and two beds...We still had to kinda move the two beds apart. Though we asked for an ocean view... what we got was a view if we walked out onto our balcony and looked left ... then we saw the ocean. But really, I can't complain too much. The view was gorgeous. We even had a cruise ship park out there our last night, Staff everywhere were super friendly. They all knew us by name midweek, which was fun. We practiced our Espanol but they knew English very well! The food buffets were incredible and the onsite restaurants we got a reservation for (and FYI - not easy getting these reservations per almost every tourist I talked too). Try and book a couple at a time the night you get there. The Krystal room no one could get a reservation and we were all wondering what the deal was with that one. The Japanese restaurant looked nice inside. My friend and I tried the Steakhouse (steak and lobster!)and the Mexican Restaurant (Shrimp, chicken and steak fajitas) looking out onto the ocean, which was great! We tried a Sunset cruise thru Surfrider and a day excursion to Todos los Santos (Hotel Ca and shopping with a wonderful lunch at a hidden garden oasis restaurant) booked thru Expedia/Grayline that were great! Tip my hat to Miguel and Luis (see I told you I would write a trip advisor review (hint my girlfriend was the Espanol teacher...from California). Miguel (Grayline)was onsite at the hotel every day for a couple of hours in the lobby to help tourists. The hotel swim up bars and pools were fun. Some of the bigger pools had a guy with a loudspeaker occasionally for Bingo and games...so depending on what kind of quiet you want, you can move around. Ages seemed to be all over the place. We did not try any of the shows, though we walked by a few and people seemed to be enjoying them. Nightlife downtown $12 cab fare both ways for two. Clubs were fun. Tip - bring lots of U.S. one$ bills. Despite hundreds of tourists and their U.S. $ we got the "sorry no change" many, many times which was very frustrating. Lobby and grounds were beautiful and clean. The staff filled our refrigerator with water and soda everyday. Room was pleasant and cleaned daily, bed kinda hard. We felt very safe as young women and the food was great/safe, no one got sick. I had not been to Mexico in over 20 years. I will definitely come back here and bring more friends!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends