“If You Are an RCI Member Don't Exchange Here!”

Cabo Villas Beach Resort
Ranked #42 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 5 July 2009

I would like to first say that I am an RCI and Interval Member and have exchanged my vacation weeks at numerous locations in Mexico and the states. This was the worst place that I have ever stayed! If you exchange your room through RCI they put you in the "Original" which is apparently Spanish for "Old and Dirty". The showers were filthy, the walls were not painted. I was suppose to have a room with a private bedroom and had no such thing. It was just one big open room with a short concrete wall to divide the den. The shower drain and shower pressure were horrible and there was no tub. They also did not have good shower curtains so every time you took a shower your whole bathroom floor was wet. Even after I complained about all these items they were still never fixed even though the front desk manager Moises promised me that they would be. I also found Moises to be very condescending and unhelpful in general.

Be very careful! The people who enjoyed their stay here were probably in the newer towers. Those rooms were nice, but when I requested that I be moved to an unoccupied room they would not do it even when we offered to give up our two "one bedroom" units in the old tower to share a one bedroom unit in the new tower. They wanted to charge us an additional $600 fee for the other room when we were giving up two rooms and were only staying two more days even though the room was unoccupied!

There were a few good things about the hotel. I liked its close proximity to the marina, mall, and the Baja Cantina. The staff overall was very nice despite management's unhelpful attitude. The spa that they had on the premises was awesome as well, it is just too bad that the level of service that they give there isn't consistent throughout the entire resort.

I would NEVER stay here again and if you decide to, please be sure that you are not in the original tower. I understand that all hotels have older rooms, but they should at least make sure that they are clean and present them in the best light possible.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HTownTraveller
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 June 2009

This is the first review I've ever written on a place, but I had to write this to at least warn people of what to expect. For the most part, the resort is okay. The grounds are nice, the pool area is nice, the beach is nice but not great.

The things I want to let people know to be aware of that would have changed my mind to stay here are:

1) The rooms are loud. We stayed there using some RCI points, they put us in the older section of rooms and when we first saw our room we loved it. Nice location, could see the ocean, room seemed clean. But then as we went to go to sleep that night, you could hear everything. It felt like camping or something and you know when you get unlucky and end up camping next to teenagers that are up all night talking and yelling? That was this place. Which is strange because the walls are solid concrete, but I think the doors are balsa wood or something. What it does though, is create almost an amplifier effect so that the slightest noise made in other rooms, comes into your room and bounces off the concrete walls. It's really loud and unless you're the last one to go to sleep, you will hate it for this reason.

2) The beach is nice I guess, but when they say swimable beach, I pictured myself floating in the ocean, drinking a beer, something like that. This beach wasn't like that. The water drops off fast and the current keeps you working to stay in one place. About 10 feet into the water, you're head deep. I got stung by a jelly fish, there were a lot of them, but I didn't see anyone else complain of that. I figure I was an anomoly there, but we did see a lot of jelly fish in the water and washed up onto the sand.

3) Vendors and time share people. They are out of control. The resort e-mailed us prior to us even leaving and asked us what time worked best for our time share pitch? They made it sound like we had to go. We declined, then again a few times when we showed up... they were good about it and stopped asking. But then I went to price out activities and that is where they get you. They overcharge for activities because they want pretty much everyone to go on the time share pitch so everyone pays the "VIP" rate. We finally broke down and went on the pitch, just to save a few hundred on renting jet skis, deep sea fishing, etc. I didn't say a word during the 90 minute tour except to complain about the room noise. That must have been enough, because at 90 minutes they were like "okay, see you later" and let me go. I recommend doing that.

4) I used my VIP card to get a deal on a "23' super panga". Sounds nice, eh? It wasn't fit to go in my pool. It was 23 feet long, but probably about 5' wide. That made for a rough venture out to sea. That said, we caught a hammerhead shark and a huge mahi mahi and the trip was great. But the boat is small and sketchy. "Panga" must mean "sketchy" in spanish.

5) Cabo prices are out of control. Someone needs to call them and remind them they are Mexico. Average price to go out to eat with a family of 4 was over 100 bucks. I'm talking to get some quesadillas for the kids, maybe enchaladas for us and some beers... 150 bucks. Hawaii is cheaper on food, and that's out of line. Not the resorts fault, but just know what you're getting into. We went to some costco like place down the street and bought groceries to cut down on costs, but who wants to eat in the room? We ate out every night and it was over 100 bucks every single night. And it's not like we were eating steak or fine dining. It was mediocre to below average food... just that it was on the beach I guess. I just found that shocking, maybe it's known to others and I'm stating the obvious... but it was overpriced. And bring cash, dont' think you'll use the ATM. I took out 300 bucks out of one, the transaction fee was supposed to be 36 pesos (like 3 bucks) but when I checked my bank account, they charged me over 80 bucks in transaction fees for that 300 withdrawal. I called the bank when I got home and they credited me my money back, but still. Watch out for that.

That said, the resort is pretty nice. It's in a great location on the beach, the people that work there that aren't selling timeshares are great. The bartenders at the pool bar and the other bar near the pool were great. Very friendly towards the kids. The resort looks nice, has a weird smell I thought but my wife didn't notice it so it must just be me. It was like a burnt meat pepper smell, but again only I seemed to notice it.

If booking, I wouldn't book here. In all honesty, I wouldn't book in Cabo because of the vendors and the out of control prices. I would book in Hawaii, it's about the same price right now. And Cabo is no Hawaii, that's for sure. It's Mexico, plain old run down Mexico. I figured you got a break in price since you'd share the beach with some flea ridden dog or something, but again, someone needs to call them and remind them they are Mexico. You should not pay 30 dollars for a quesadilla in Mexico. That's insane.

We are going to San Diego this month and will probably get more relaxation there. Nice weather, at least you can boogie board and such at the beach, and no vendors bugging me for time share pitches!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank BendogChandler_AZ
Reviewed 27 June 2009

I stayed for a week (5/2-5/9) and, for the most part, had enjoyed my stay. Upon packing the night before leaving I discovered that a piece of jewelery (a ring) was missing. My friend and I looked and looked but for no reason since it was clear it was gone. I never wore the ring during my stay.

Two nights after arriving I attempted to put on the ring for a night out but with the heat and cocktails it was too tight and uncomfortable. I placed it in a small travel jewelery box with some other items and left it on top of the drawers inside the closet. My friend saw me do this. I never bothered to try wearing it again for the duration of the trip and the box remained in the same place inside the closet.

Upon check in I wasn't able to get the safe to work and when I discovered the ring was missing I felt dumb for not reporting it and getting it fixed so I could use it as I planned. I understood that it was careless of me but it didn't change the fact that an employee had stolen from a guest. I called security that night and filed a report...knowing I would never see my ring again. I was encouraged to speak to the manager the next day.

I met with the General Manager reluctantly since i knew It wouldn't produce my ring but I felt he should know what had happened at his hotel. He insulted me, and my intelligence, to say the least. The first thing he said was that "the problem is that you haven't seen the ring in many days so who knows what happened to it". I disagreed stating that "the problem is that the ring is gone...not when I noticed it was gone". He implied that it was my responsibility to do a belongings inventory every day so that if something is missing the exact day can be pinpointed...absurd. I'll spare you the details of the rest of the unprofessional conversation. I was assured by him that he would investigate the situation and follow up with me via e-mail to let me know the outcome either way. I've been home nearly two months and haven't heard a word...just as expected.

I accept my responsibility in this but the way it was handled left me not wanting to return to this hotel and questioning a return to Mexico as well.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank jrzgrl-inla
Reviewed 4 June 2009

I absolutley love it at Cabo Villas Beach Resort. I am a member that just upgraded to the new Bayview Suites and they are spectacular. Cabo Villas is in the perfect location if you want to get out and enjoy yourself as the only thing you need a cab for is to go golfing. There are a lot of reviews saying they don't like the vendors on the beach trying to sell you stuff, but you can catch great deals from these guys. If you do not want to purchase anything just tell them no thank you and they move on. The resort has a roped off area that the vendors are not allowed in so if you do not want them trying to sell you stuff while you are relaxing, just pull up a lounge chair a few rows back. Cabo Villas does not offer all inclusive like some of the other resorts because you don't need it. There are so many other places to eat and drink within walking distance. The all inclusive resorts and many other resorts are in Los Cabos which is about a $30 cab ride each way to downtown. If you want to have a quiet keep to yourself vacation then do not stay here. If you want to enjoy youreslf in Mexico, in the downtown area while still being able to relax, I would highly recommend this place. Do not book through the resort though as you will pay a much higher rate. I am a timeshare member and can rent some of my weeks out at a much cheaper cost. If interested please email me, David, at [--].

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
tateuari, manager at Cabo Villas Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2009

Thank you for you value comments, We appreciate your time for review to traveler in one of the most important web page as Tripadvisor. We invite to you to continue being one of valued guest at Cabo Villas Beach Resort & Spa. Again, thank for your kindness. Yours cordially,
Federico Spada

Reviewed 27 May 2009

No hot water in the shower (no tub btw). Vendors all over the beach/restaurant area. Management staff did not resolve any of our problems. Construction going on all week.

Good location, close to good restaurants and marina. Waiters and housekeeping were very friendly. Spa ladies hassled us everyday for a massage.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
tateuari, maqnager at Cabo Villas Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2009

Thanks for you kindness time to write reviews. We have forwarded your comments to our Maintenance Executive and Sales Departament so they can benefit from this situation for applying straight our standar steep services and process. We invite to continue being one of the most valued guest at Cabo Villas Beach Resort & Spa. Again, thanks for you appreciate sincerely. Yours cordially, Federico Spada General Manager