After comparing several places through trip Advisor and RCI we chose Playa Grande for our first romantic trip to Cabo.
After reading nearly every review we were prepared for the nagging timeshare sales people and pool towel wars. However, upon our arrival we were pleasantly surprised! The check in process went smoothly and we were given a few room options after expressing disappointment with our second floor room. Once we were directed to get our “towel cards” the salesperson asked if I was old enough to drink. I told her I was only 23 and my boyfriend was 24. After realizing we didn’t qualify for timeshare ownership we were left alone for the rest of our trip! We ended up sticking with the second floor and did not regret it! We were placed in building D room 1142. From our balcony you could see all three pools as well as the ocean. It was such a quick walk to anywhere in the resort it made it very easy to go back and forth for snacks/drinks during the day.
We stayed in a one bedroom suite which had two huge bathrooms, a large living area/kitchen, pull out sofa that sleeps 2, and two sizeable balconies.
We chose to forgo the all-inclusive and instead bought groceries from Walmart to make lunch and breakfast each day, then headed out to the Marina for dinner. We had great meals in town at The Office and unforgettable rainbow shots at Rip’s. Food at the pool was good and the drinks were so-so (we always thought they could be stronger, but who doesn’t!).
Mexican Fiesta night was a blast and reasonably priced considering it was all you could eat/drink. The entertainment was great and we were laughing all night!
We found that reserving a pool chair wasn’t nearly as competitive as we had anticipated. We were up by 7:30 each day and usually placed our towels on a chair by 8:00 AM. We were able to see the pools from our balcony and most days the chairs didn’t fill up until about 9:30. We brought our own bright beach towels from home so that our regular pool towels wouldn’t just get thrown to the side. We did witness a few altercations during the week, but for the most part there weren’t any issues.
The beach is absolutely amazing and so serene. We were out their several mornings when there weren’t more than 5 people in sight. We hiked over the rocks to lover’s beach and it was such a fun experience! A little scary in some parts but as long as you have tennis shoes or aqua socks you are ok.
All in all we have nothing but great things to say about the Playa Grande and we are already trying to plan our next trip back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Baja California's most exclusive and private Beach, along the Pacific Ocean side and a few steps from the Land's End and the famous natural arch, this charming, Mexican hacienda style all suite resort sits on eight acres of beach, only a few steps from the sparkling Pacific Ocean and a few minutes’ walking to downtown Cabo. This is a dramatic setting to relax and enjoy your dream vacation under the sun. If it’s shopping, fine dining and nightlife you’re looking for, downtown Cabo San Lucas is just a short stroll away. And if you’d really like to reward yourself, the world class Grand Spa will be waiting with a full range of luxuries that will nurture your body and soul. The Playa Grande Resort features all suites with private balconies, kitchens or kitchenettes, and distinctive touches such as marble floors, granite counter tops and hand crafted furniture and decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Playa Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Grande Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Playa Grande Cabo San Lucas
- Playa Grande Resort Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos