“DO NOT GET THE "Silver" ALL INCLUSIVE PACKAGE!!! It is a scam! You are not given the same menu's, drinks, or service..super res”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 10 December 2011

My wife and I are not stingy, cheapskate travelers that complain about anything very much, but this place crossed the line with our trust, service, and deceitfully stole over $1,200.00 of our money with a bogus "all inclusive package" that we chose as a luxurious benefit to our trip, not as a bargain shopping, all you can eat buffet option.
During check in, we saw the advertisement on a stand up poster at the front desk, and it looked a little pricy at $89.00 per person, each day, and you had to buy a minimum of three days, but after some quick calculations of normal 4-5 star vacations we try to go on, it sounded a little less expensive, and at least the same as we would usually spend since we aren't big drinkers, so I chose to go with it to avoid the hassle of having to carry my wallet around at the pools, and the beach. So, after a few questions to confirm that we actually received everything the advertisesed poster displayed, I forked over around $1,200.00 for 6 days, and we got the seventh day free. It included any drink, and all food and room service 24/7 at all the restaurants except one called La Freida, which is there most upscale dining establishment. Well, after they strapped a blue bracelet on us, we went to our room and ordered room service off the room service menu since it was late by the time we finally got settled. When the order came, our Mai Tai's were very small, and completely watered down, and the food was luke warm, if not cold, and the food was slightly different than what we read on the menu and ordered. We ate and drank everything and chalked it up to them having an off night. The next morning we ordered some breakfast, and the first clue was given, they asked if we had the meal plan as we ordered, and I said that we had the Silver all inclusive package, and they replied with a yes, the meal plan. They delivered breakfast and it was cold again and the service was not 4.5 star, and the waiter acted cold and short with us. We continued to one of the pool bars, and we waited and waited for a waiter to stop and take our drink order, but he continued to see to everybody else and kept walking by us, so I went and tracked him down at the drink station, and he took my order with a very bad attitude. That's when I knew that something was up with the blue bracelet on our wrists. It seemed to be a signal to all or the staff that we were cheap, that weren't going to tip them, since we went with the "meal plan", as they call it. We walked and toured the resort, stopping at all the little pools and in water bars, and continued to get the same bad service. We made reservations at La Nao, and when we arrived, we spoke to the hostess, and she told us we were only allowed the buffet, and I asked why, and she said it was because we were on the meal plan, and I said that we werent told of any restrictions like that, only that we couldn't go to La Frieda. She said sorry, but that's the meal plan rules. We ate our mediocre buffet meal as fast as possible and I went straight to the lobby to speak to a manager to complain of the service and the restrictions we weren't told about, and the manager, Carlos, said that he was sorry, and we were right, that we weren't told of the restrictions, but that we should be happy because it is a good deal. I demanded my money back, because our food and service standards are 5 star and that I want gourmet food and superb service when I'm on vacation, and that's why we came to a supposed, 4.5 star resort. He refused to give us ir money back and said we should be happy because it was a great deal.
So we were stuck here all week getting half #*! service, drinks, and food because of this blue bracelet, and it is so bad that the rooms service waiter taking the order on the phone complains that we are ordering to much food for two people, and asking me if I was sure I wasn't ordering for more people that weren't on the meal plan. I told him it was only me and my wife, and it was none of his concern how much food we ate or ordered.
The place is beautiful, and everybody else seems to be getting great food, drinks, and service as long as they aren't on the Silver all inclusive plan. I've spoken with several other guests that ordered the Silver plan and they have all been upset with it.
That is all I have to say. They better rethink things and watch their quality before word gets out.

• Stayed December 2011
72 Thank Johnbo1079
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,566)
  • Korean first
Richland, Washington
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Nice place for fun rides up and down the hills in modified golf carts. They were pretty good at picking you up and taking you around the compound. The compound is a 2 mi. $12 cab ride from anything. It would be quite a walk to town. The beach has no shells and the surf is too big to swim in. Pools loaded with chlorine are your only option there, Internet leaves much to be desired. A nice bug under my wife's pillow in a freshly made bed???? (see picture) Nice views.

Room Tip: Check for bed bugs.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank johnvanmason
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 10 December 2011

PBSB eliminated their free Internet access and now charges an absurd access fee for daily Internet. They continue to find a way to squeeze every last dollar out of their guests.

• Stayed December 2011
6 Thank drj070
Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed at PB Sunset Beach the week of November 28th, and all I can say is WOW!. This resort is wonderful. The staff are by far the friendliest we have met and we travel a great deal. We had a one bedroom suite which was immaculate and well appointed. Very comfortable beds. The service, whether at reception, one of the restaurants or in-suite, was top notch. The on-site restaurants are very good and reasonably priced. The only downside is that you cannot swim in the ocean at this location. However, they have a free shuttle which will take you to their sister resort PB Rose, where you have full use of the facilities and can swim in the ocean all you like. I would recommend this resort without hesitation to anyone who asks. And, yes, there is a timeshare presentation which they will invite you to. There is, however, no pressure and the compensation for your time is very generous. To sum up, in over 18 years of traveling all over the world this is one of the nicest resorts we have ever stayed at and the most relaxing vacation we have ever had. thank you to everyone at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach for making our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: Every suite has a gorgeous view of the ocean. There is really not a bad location anywhere at this re...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Aaron R
Southlake, TX
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Despite the title, I am still a satisfied timeshare owner of a Presidential Suite. There are still a lot of good things at Sunset Beach. However, unless the management and owner of this development start paying attention to detail, it will soon lose its reputation as a top notch resort facility. While it still ranks very high in awards for resorts, that will change over time. To start, the electronics in the rooms are' horribly outdated. The old heavy box TV's that weigh a ton should have been replaced by flatscreen HDTV's long ago. Even low end hotels have made that change. The internet accessibility is a joke for our modern era. When I was there last year, owners received a plug-in cord for free internet access. This year, there is wifi, but it didn't work in any of the rooms in the entire resort. To add insult to injury, there is a significant charge for wifi use in your room even if you are an owner. If you are not, then the charge is even higher. In any event, it would not work during my stay, regardless of the proposed charge for this service. Everyone at the resort was forced to go to the Manila Bar (for me it meant from the top of the mountain to the bottom) in order to have internet access. Of course, with only one free wifi spot that worked at the resort, it remained crowded so it was hard to find a place to sit. Another concern is that needed maintenance is apparently being deferred. To save costs? The main pool at the bottom of the hill had a number of tiles missing from the pool. Also, the whirlpool area that is tied into this pool looked like something you would find at a cheap hotel. Besides numerous tiles missing, the plaster repair jobs looked horrible. Given the extent of the problem areas, it was clear that these problems did not happen overnight. Yet, this was the state of things as the high season began at PBSB (I was there in early Nov.). Why was this not taken care of in the off season? I wrote a separate review on the La Nao restaurant, so I will not repeat my disappointment there. The Bistro was hit and miss not only with food, but also service. The last of my observations center around the timeshare salespeople. After getting in a shouting match with one guy, another was substituted. The bottom line is that I have attended my last owner's meeting. The $50 restaurant credit and discount at the spa are not worth the aggravation. There are no owner "updates" as advertised....just a highly intrusive and pressured sales pitch to buy more and more regardless of what you own. I have heard numerous and everchanging excuses about the delay in building the golf course (that was promised several years ago and was used as a main sales pitch to buy at PBSB), a reason why the local food store is not yet open (despite having been told the last two years that the opening was imminent,) etc., etc. My concerns about PBSB slipping in everything from maintenance of the facility to meeting past promises were largely ignored and all I heard were comments about difficult economic times, while, at the same time, bragging about how sales of timeshares have never been better. If so, where is the money going instead of making needed updates and keeping maintenance at a top notch level? What is good at PBSB? Many of the staff are topnotch and will do their absolute best to meet your requests or make your stay especially enjoyable. Ivan, the front desk manager, Galileo, the Chief Concierge, Zemone at the Lobby patio bar, and Carlos at the Sky Pool are some examples of the great people that work there. The facility, built on the side of a mountain, still looks great. I was pleased overall with my room (excepting the outdated TV's, horrible channel selections and internet issues). The king bed in our room was overdue for being changed out, but overall the furniture was still in good shape. Our maid did a wonderful job of cleaning and was non-intrusive. The bottom line is that there still is alot "right" about PBSB. However, to make an honest rating this year, I have to drop a "star" from my rating last year. My hope is that my personal rating drop from "excellent" to "very good" doesn't continue to drop to "average" or below next year or in the future. Of course, that will be up to the management and the owner of this development.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple